Liberal News' Biases and Double Standards.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ALEC is private businesses and ​conservative legislators - hardly representative of all the citizens. And it seems highly unlikely that legislators "helped write it" when the identical legislation is passed in several states where ALEC is involved. I don't like the idea of corporations writing legislation, is it ok with you?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
ALEC is private businesses and ​conservative legislators - hardly representative of all the citizens.

They aren't there to represent all of the citizens but they do represent the majority that voted them in.

And it seems highly unlikely that legislators "helped write it" when the identical legislation is passed in several states where ALEC is involved.

They work with multiple legislators from different states. It is much easier to push agendas on a state level in hopes that it spreads.

I don't like the idea of corporations writing legislation, is it ok with you?

Absolutely not, but we are discussing an article that I pointed out as being biased and I was giving examples of how they twisted things.
I don't think any business or lobby should be able to help write legislation or even be able to make "campaign contributions". The government is supposed to be for the people so as far as I'm concerned all of the businesses, special interest groups, and lobby groups need to be HIGHLY restricted. All meetings and conversations with them need to be done in an open forum where the general public can have the same opportunity to listen and talk with their rep. If they are caught having a closed door meeting or taking money then there should be a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for all parties involved. When I say prison I mean real prison and I want to hear them using this quote as they are hauled away. "We're not going to one of those white collar resort prisons, no no no. We're going to federal pound me in the @$$ prison." Anyone know the movie that quote is from? :thumbup:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the first link, where it said "gerrymandering is usually thought of as a bipartisan offense", then explained why the 2010 Republican plan was particularly egregious.
But you shouldn't have to click the link to know it's something both sides do.
It's probably accurate to say that gerrymandering is a "bipartisan offense" in the sense that both parties are equally offensive and ruthless in redrawing political districts to their advantage whenever their party has the power to do so. The 2010 GOP plan was no worse than what the Democrats have done in the past in many states. It would be extremely naive to think the two parties would ever consider sitting down in some sort of bipartisan lovefest and design voting districts that would be "fair". Neither party gives a d*mn about "fair".

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With COMEDIAN Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show by the end of the year, some people are speculating that he could be a replacement for NBC 'News'' top anchorman and managing editor Brian Williams.
COMEDIAN Stewart also was recently considered for the position as host of Meet The Press.
Oh what has become of NBC 'News'? They're considering a comedian for top news gigs and their top news anchor has become a laughing stock. Maybe Williams could host The Daily Show and Stewart could anchor NBC 'News'. Would anyone even noticed the difference? NBC News--NOT.

Could Jon Stewart replace Brian Williams? - Business Insider

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news...ey-were-casting-a-wide-and-weird-net-20141030

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh lookie here. Someone needed an eraser...

Correction: February 15, 2015
An earlier version of this column incorrectly stated that teacher layoffs in Milwaukee in 2010 happened because Gov. Scott Walker “cut state aid to education.” The layoffs were made by the city’s school system because of a budget shortfall, before Mr. Walker took office in 2011.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
They aren't there to represent all of the citizens but they do represent the majority that voted them in.

Except it isn't a majority that voted them in, when gerrymandering did it for them. And contrary to what some think, the Republicans do it more than the Democrats, and what they accomplished in 2010 was outrageous, and finally, it can be made a bipartisan process, because California has done it already. Citizens need to demand it, and there's no good reason for refusing to make it bipartisan.

They work with multiple legislators from different states. It is much easier to push agendas on a state level in hopes that it spreads.

We've seen that with the conservative agenda that most citizens don't agree with: tax cuts for the top income, benefit cuts for the bottom, new [and unreasonable] restrictions on women't heath & family planning, incentives for 'job creators' that use taxpayer money, but don't demonstrate actual results that justify the spending, drug testing food stamp applicants [proven in several states to cost money rather than save it], etc.
They don't consult the voters, they propose what ALEC gives them, and then they pass it.

Absolutely not, but we are discussing an article that I pointed out as being biased and I was giving examples of how they twisted things.
I don't think any business or lobby should be able to help write legislation or even be able to make "campaign contributions". The government is supposed to be for the people so as far as I'm concerned all of the businesses, special interest groups, and lobby groups need to be HIGHLY restricted. All meetings and conversations with them need to be done in an open forum where the general public can have the same opportunity to listen and talk with their rep. If they are caught having a closed door meeting or taking money then there should be a mandatory 25 year prison sentence for all parties involved. When I say prison I mean real prison and I want to hear them using this quote as they are hauled away. "We're not going to one of those white collar resort prisons, no no no. We're going to federal pound me in the @$$ prison." Anyone know the movie that quote is from? :thumbup:

In several places, [including Cleveland, Oh] they are now allowing private enterprise to raise taxes, too - why am I not surprised? More to the point, why don't the citizens even know it's happening?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In several places, [including Cleveland, Oh] they are now allowing private enterprise to raise taxes, too - why am I not surprised? More to the point, why don't the citizens even know it's happening?

Explain please, or a link.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Fox Fanatic hasn't yet figured out that the "news" he's watching over on "Fox News" is being delivered largely by entertainers:

With COMEDIAN Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show by the end of the year, some people are speculating that he could be a replacement for NBC 'News'' top anchorman and managing editor Brian Williams.
COMEDIAN Stewart also was recently considered for the position as host of Meet The Press.
Oh what has become of NBC 'News'? They're considering a comedian for top news gigs and their top news anchor has become a laughing stock. Maybe Williams could host The Daily Show and Stewart could anchor NBC 'News'. Would anyone even noticed the difference? NBC News--NOT.

Could Jon Stewart replace Brian Williams? - Business Insider

Jon Stewart Confirms NBC's 'Meet The Press' Offer | Rolling Stone
Too funny ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_oYV-o68L4

Jane Curtain: "Times have changed since I first sat behind this desk. I used to be the only pretty blonde woman reading the fake news, now there's a whole network devoted to that. And somehow I showed less cleavage."

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NBC News report omitts news.
The Daily Caller article excerpt:
' The Latest Fad — Mindlessness: NBC Nightly News managed to devote almost two minutes of tonight’s opening segment to the standoff over Department of Homeland Security funding — after another, initial two minutes on the terrorist threat to the Mall of America. In that time NBC never says what the DHS funding fight is about, namely Obama’s executive action giving work permits and deportation protection to millions of illegal immigrants. (You can watch the astonishing newscast here.) The word “immigration” isn’t even uttered. Viewers tuning in would have absolutely no idea why the “big fight” — with 200,000 workers facing no paychecks, a possible “security risk,” and the “clock ticking”– is happening. Is it a budget dispute, with Republicans trying to lower federal spending and Democrats trying to raise it? An argument over long TSA lines? Insufficient leg room in coach? A union dispute? Mindless partisan animosity? The NBC story doesn’t even blame Republicans. A Democratic propaganda segment would at least have had a coherent story line.'

NBC Trapped in Kafkaesque Nightmare! | The Daily Caller

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The liberal media's McCarthyism and litmus tests for THE ONE. Republican candidates have to pass them or incur the media's wrath.
From Breitbart article:

'Unlike Giuliani, who hasn’t held elected office in over a decade, there are numerous examples of powerful high-profile Democrats, including Barack Obama, questioning the patriotism of a sitting president. Members of the elite media have attacked the patriotism of others. The unbiased, objective, not-at-all liberal media never raised an eyebrow then. Today, though, it’s the biggest political litmus test going.

In the wake of Giuliani expressing an opinion the media will not tolerate, against his will, Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker, a likely 2016 presidential candidate, found himself hauled before HUAC the media late last week and threatened with political and personal destruction if he didn’t repudiate Rudy and pass the Obama Loyalty Test.

When asked if he believes Obama is a patriot, Walker answered “I don’t know.”

When asked if he believes Obama is a Christian, Walker answered, “I don’t know.”

The media is still freaking out.

Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin all but accused Walker of racism by inferring he was a Birther.

Because Walker didn’t vouch for Obama’s Christianity and patriotism, the coordinated and effective media attacks are coming from all sides: 1) He’s not ready for primetime. 2) He’s racist. 3) He’s extreme 4) He’s a bumbler.

Sorry, but “I don’t know” is a perfectly acceptable answer to both questions.

If you had asked me 5 years ago if Obama was a patriotic Christian, I would have answered in the affirmative on both accounts. A lot has happened since. Obama’s deeds — apologizing for America, the dishonest and unnecessary example of the Crusades, using his Christian faith to lie about and hide his support for same sex marriage, etc. — have given me doubts.

Under oath, if asked today if Obama is a patriotic Christian, I would have to answer, “I don’t know.”

But “I don’t know” isn’t the answer the media wants. The media wants a “yes,” and if members of the GOP refuse to vouch for Obama’s faith and patriotism, the media is determined to see them destroyed.

If Walker were running around attacking Obama’s patriotism and faith, that would be reprehensible. He is not doing that, though. He’s not doing anything. He’s not saying anything. He’s not volunteering anything. He wishes to remain silent on the meaningless subject of Obama’s faith and patriotism.

Nevertheless, silence is not good enough for the media.

Walker MUST be hauled before the public to answer these questions and Walker MUST pass the loyalty test by vouching for Obama’s patriotism and Christianity. If he doesn’t, CNN’s Dana Bash and John King, the disgraced Ron Fournier, and everyone with a byline at Politico, The Washington Post, and New York Times have already threatened to politically annihilate him.

Loyalty tests. Political blackmail. Being hauled before the public against your will to answer questions with only one acceptable answer — questions that have nothing to do with your fitness to hold any kind of office.

If that’s not the textbook definition of McCarthyism, what is?'
http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...-walker-and-the-medias-pro-obama-mccarthyism/

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't read that much into it. I think the liberal media is afraid of Walker. If not, why spend the time on him that they do?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Giuliani's remarks have caused a sensation because they hit a raw nerve. Rudy should have spoken so candidly back in 2008 when it could have helped this nation avert the present disaster in the Oval Office. One gets the feeling Obama has nothing but scorn for American patriotism and American patriots. Barack Obama is a seething, openly hostile man. What kind of political party embraces such defective and dangerous candidates?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Giuliani's remarks have caused a sensation because they ...
Rudy's remarks caused a sensation because in his dotage he's become a blithering idiot while no one was looking ...

Not that he was all that sane before.

Expect a long bib and a drool cup any time now ...

Barack Obama is a seething, openly hostile man. ...
LOL ... sounds more like you are describing one or more one of the Konservative Kooks that frequent the Soapbox ...

Dead Greek comedy ... I love it !

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The liberal media's McCarthyism and litmus tests for THE ONE. Republican candidates have to pass them or incur the media's wrath.
From Breitbart article:

'Unlike Giuliani, who hasn’t held elected office in over a decade, there are numerous examples of powerful high-profile Democrats, including Barack Obama, questioning the patriotism of a sitting president. Members of the elite media have attacked the patriotism of others. The unbiased, objective, not-at-all liberal media never raised an eyebrow then. Today, though, it’s the biggest political litmus test going.

In the wake of Giuliani expressing an opinion the media will not tolerate, against his will, Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker, a likely 2016 presidential candidate, found himself hauled before HUAC the media late last week and threatened with political and personal destruction if he didn’t repudiate Rudy and pass the Obama Loyalty Test.

When asked if he believes Obama is a patriot, Walker answered “I don’t know.”

When asked if he believes Obama is a Christian, Walker answered, “I don’t know.”

The media is still freaking out.

Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin all but accused Walker of racism by inferring he was a Birther.

Because Walker didn’t vouch for Obama’s Christianity and patriotism, the coordinated and effective media attacks are coming from all sides: 1) He’s not ready for primetime. 2) He’s racist. 3) He’s extreme 4) He’s a bumbler.

Sorry, but “I don’t know” is a perfectly acceptable answer to both questions.

If you had asked me 5 years ago if Obama was a patriotic Christian, I would have answered in the affirmative on both accounts. A lot has happened since. Obama’s deeds — apologizing for America, the dishonest and unnecessary example of the Crusades, using his Christian faith to lie about and hide his support for same sex marriage, etc. — have given me doubts.

Under oath, if asked today if Obama is a patriotic Christian, I would have to answer, “I don’t know.”

But “I don’t know” isn’t the answer the media wants. The media wants a “yes,” and if members of the GOP refuse to vouch for Obama’s faith and patriotism, the media is determined to see them destroyed.

If Walker were running around attacking Obama’s patriotism and faith, that would be reprehensible. He is not doing that, though. He’s not doing anything. He’s not saying anything. He’s not volunteering anything. He wishes to remain silent on the meaningless subject of Obama’s faith and patriotism.

Nevertheless, silence is not good enough for the media.

Walker MUST be hauled before the public to answer these questions and Walker MUST pass the loyalty test by vouching for Obama’s patriotism and Christianity. If he doesn’t, CNN’s Dana Bash and John King, the disgraced Ron Fournier, and everyone with a byline at Politico, The Washington Post, and New York Times have already threatened to politically annihilate him.

Loyalty tests. Political blackmail. Being hauled before the public against your will to answer questions with only one acceptable answer — questions that have nothing to do with your fitness to hold any kind of office.

If that’s not the textbook definition of McCarthyism, what is?'
Giuliani, Walker, and the Media's Pro-Obama McCarthyism - Breitbart

One wonders if Breitbart knows what happened when Ronald Reagan was called to testify for the HUAC [House UnAmerican Activities Committee, chaired by McCarthy], when Reagan was president of the Screen Actors Guild: he sang like a canary, repeating every bit of gossip, innuendo, and tittle tattle he heard. Careers were ruined, writers blacklisted, without a shred of proof. UnAmerican activities, indeed.
So now, it's the 'liberal media' that's practicing McCarthyism? I don't think so. "Threatened with political and personal destruction if he didn't repudiate Rudy and pass the Obama loyalty test"?
This is just utter foamy, frothy, over the top garbage.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't read that much into it. I think the liberal media is afraid of Walker. If not, why spend the time on him that they do?

Afraid of Walker? Not likely. If they spend a lot of time on him, it's because the Republicans do - maybe because of a little thing coming up in 2016....
It's amusing how often the attribution of 'fear' sounds like wishful thinking, lol.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
No, I think they are afraid of him. As far as "wishful thinking", way too early to have that on the plate.