let the attack on panther begin

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
NEWS FLASH!!!

Streakn just said something nice about his previous carrier in another thread!!!

There's hope for me yet! LOL I do have a nice side to me.

In all fairness to the Newbies reading these forums, is it not better to provide them with both the good and not so good regarding carriers they may be considering, as long as it is fact based information? And why not make it easily accessable such as in these forums. Once they have read and researched the validity of the information provided, it is up to them to choose which carrier they go with.

I think its good that not all information they get is just how good the company is. Given both the positive through the negative about the carrier provides them a more well rounded view of what they might expect. That's not bashing the carrier, just sharing experiences with the carrier that unfortunately were negative.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is this who your quoting?
Nah ..... it was this guy (Moot outta his disguise):

dr.evil.laser.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
NEWS FLASH!!!

Streakn just said something nice about his previous carrier in another thread!!!

There's hope for me yet! LOL I do have a nice side to me.

In all fairness to the Newbies reading these forums, is it not better to provide them with both the good and not so good regarding carriers they may be considering, as long as it is fact based information? And why not make it easily accessable such as in these forums. Once they have read and researched the validity of the information provided, it is up to them to choose which carrier they go with.

I think its good that not all information they get is just how good the company is. Given both the positive through the negative about the carrier provides them a more well rounded view of what they might expect. That's not bashing the carrier, just sharing experiences with the carrier that unfortunately were negative.

I think it is of benefit to the new folks to tell both sides of the story. This also benefits the carriers. We all know they come on here and read the different responses to a given subject.
If a carrier cut rates, fuel surcharges, or a number of other policy changes, they may not act in a appropriate fashion if all they see is dancing and pom-poms.
The majority may sit silent because they fell ostracized if they voice a differencing opinion.
I think that EO coupled with a driver council of sorts, brings these issues to the table faster for all carriers.
Some can be executed in a short fashion, and some take time depending on the carrier's size.
One thing is certain, that none of the carriers stay the same. They either keep getting better, or they get worse.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Panther can't take the blame for the slowdown in frieght, obviously. I really like how they grew into a major expeditor from a minor one, and as a van driver, I like how they give us long loads and build the time into the delivery. Didn't get that much with the other two carriers I drove with.

I just wish they'd have stopped putting vans on sooner this year. Would've been less painful in October when it seemed to have slowed for vans... And I'm not "whining" here. Don't want those nasty whine-police all over me. Just mah two cents

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One of the things to take into consideration when a person is complaining about how a company treated them is you are only getting the side of the disgruntled driver. We are not seeing the carrier’s side on what they saw happening with that complaint.
There are times I am sure when a driver has been put on probation that we do hear of in the open forum and any screw up and the current lease is then tore up. All then we will hear about in the open forum is the final straw that broke the camel’s back and not all of the background leading up to that event.
I would then look for a common complaint against a carrier and then investigate that before I gave much credence to just one person complaining over and over again about the same issue. We are also seeing a trend that as the tough economic times are hitting all of us the marginal operators are now blaming the carrier for not being able to make their truck payments and not on themselves for being over extended. When there is no freight the companies cannot pull it out of thin air nor can they offer the great rates we have seen in the past to stay competitive. Not only are we in a pinch but our companies are also feeling the pinch. Less freight hurts us and well as our companies.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
One of the things to take into consideration when a person is complaining about how a company treated them is you are only getting the side of the disgruntled driver. We are not seeing the carrier’s side on what they saw happening with that complaint.
There are times I am sure when a driver has been put on probation that we do hear of in the open forum and any screw up and the current lease is then tore up. All then we will hear about in the open forum is the final straw that broke the camel’s back and not all of the background leading up to that event.
I would then look for a common complaint against a carrier and then investigate that before I gave much credence to just one person complaining over and over again about the same issue. We are also seeing a trend that as the tough economic times are hitting all of us the marginal operators are now blaming the carrier for not being able to make their truck payments and not on themselves for being over extended. When there is no freight the companies cannot pull it out of thin air nor can they offer the great rates we have seen in the past to stay competitive. Not only are we in a pinch but our companies are also feeling the pinch. Less freight hurts us and well as our companies.

Why would someone get put on probation? If they are a bad driver as the company says just get rid of them. Putting someone on probation is something you do to an employee.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Probation is not just for employees, I have seen it used from one company to another. With that said I do believe that most expediting companies refer to O/O as contractors for tax purposes only. Other than that they seem to want to treat them as employees. As far as O/O not being able to make there truck payments and blaming the carrier when you sign an exclusive use contract with a carrier and can only haul there freight then the carrier should bear part of the blame.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Not if you are the one to sign the exclusive use contract and stay when it is no longer profitable to do so. You make the decisions in your life and you always have the ability to move on when needed and the company always has the ability to leave you behind when you are not needed. We are not indentured servants both sides can end the partnership at any time.

Both sides can use the term probation or any other term to fit the need; the O/O may decide I have about had enough one more time I do not like the companies new policies and I move on and the company can say you know this truck is on the edge for many reasons they slip over the edge and it is time for us to move on. Has nothing to do with an employee but has a lot to do with a partnership. If every time you were to get upset at a company and you moved on I would suggest you have magnet signs on your doors as they will rotate often.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
So what your saying is the carrier bears no responsibility to the O/O for anything even tho the carrier directly controls all of there income. And the guy flipping hamburgers at Mcdonalds can end his partnership with them too and move on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what your saying is the carrier bears no responsibility to the O/O for anything even tho the carrier directly controls all of there income. And the guy flipping hamburgers at Mcdonalds can end his partnership with them too and move on.

Actually Fastrod it's we that have the responsiblity to perform our duties....

We have the equipment, we look around and pick what we think is the right carrier....WE sign on aka hire them and pay them a percentage to find us loads and they pass on the balance...if they don't perform we terminate THEM......

If anything THEY should be signing OUR contract.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Why would someone get put on probation? If they are a bad driver as the company says just get rid of them. Putting someone on probation is something you do to an employee.

Dave you dont have to be a bad driver to be put on probation, it come from a lot of different things, last year I had my other truck was put on probation because he got backed into 2 times in one day, when it come to certian things at Panther, you are just a number not a person and things like that will do it everytime, and now with deer everywhere wouldnt take much to lose a good driver b/c saftey claims them as a liability with no fault of their own.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is not up to the carrier to make good business decisions for O/O's. It is up to the carrier to offer every load to their contracted trucks. Sadly, they are known at times for putting loads on broker boards without ever offering them to their own trucks. It's up to the operators to know what they are signing up for when they sign on and make good decisions after that. If an owner is not making it that is not the carrier's fault. It may not be the O/O's fault every time either but it is up to them to make the correct decisions to change their outcomes. "If you keep on doing the same thing you've always done..."

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with your assessment Leo. I have been with Roberts Express when it became FXCC. Emery Expedite, Bolt, and Panther are the other companies I have been associated with, both as an O/O and a driver for O/O's. All of them operate to make a profit for the company and to retain their customer base. When you take a load to cover a load that no one else will, as a favor to them, you expect them to reward your loyalty. It is a sad fact, that their memory is about as long as a 1st out promise. I want to make it clear that I am not referring to any particular company, but all that I have personal knowledge of.

Last edited:

fastrod

Expert Expediter
I got a kick out of what you posted OVM but in reality that is not the way it is. You pick a carrier and if they accept you you will sign a lease with them. It is there lease worded the way they want it and you will do as the lease says or you will be let go. In some cases, and let me make this clear I am referring to Fedex, if it is a van your leasing on it they will tell you what color it has to be. White. If the carrier decides to change the lease they can at any time they want to, you will not be asked for your input at all. After that they will draw up a new lease and you will be told to sign it or you will not be hauling there freight. Once again I am referring to Fedex and there rate change from a percentage to a straight cpm. The van owners were told ether sign the new lease or your done with us. If you really hired them it would not matter what color your van was, what your acceptance rate was, what your in service percentage was or how many deer you hit in a day. There only concern would be how many loads they found you and what there percentage of the rate was.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
When you take a load to cover a load that no one else will, as a favor to them, you expect them to reward your loyalty. It is a sad fact, that their memory is about as long as a 1st out promise.

There is no such thing as doing us (the carrier) a favor! You don't do favors for us because you got paid for what you did.

1st favor load: 96 cents/ml
2nd favor load: $1.06 /ml
3rd favor load: 78 cents/ml We Refused

All three were in a row offered to our Dr-unit When we voiced our reason for the refusal on 3rd load and stated we had already done two favor loads, we were quickly told the above by the dispatcher.

You accept these loads and if you think you've done dispatch a favor as we would like to think, you're probably fooling yourself.

Last edited:

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are right on, streakn', there is no loyalty, no favors, and no regard for the driver. That is my point exactly.