Just to vent a little

ftp000

Expert Expediter
I am kind of a hobby writter, this little piece I wrote recently after a couple of especially agravating days on the road. Maybe somebody will get a chuckle from it, I'm sure most of you have felt this way.

As a professional driver I have noticed that some people are complete and total idiots when it comes to highway driving. I recently came to the startling realization that these same people have probably changed my views on gun control. Whereas I once believed that it should be every law abiding citizens right to carry a concealed pistol, I now realize that if I had one I might very well some day head shoot a mother of three in front of her crying babies , and in that moment feel completely justified. I am sure most people who spend limited time on the highway have no idea how crazy they make us professional types, but when a nice guy like me starts smiling while imagining soccer moms in horrific, no help for them, bring on the meat wagon, anybody seen a head around here, a semi ran over a mini van type accidents, its time for me to vent a little.

The first thing that comes to mind comes with a built in solution, if you have cruise control, for the love of God, use it! You jacktards who foot it are pretty much to blame for all that's wrong in the world, and when it all goes down and I start lopping off confused looking heads, I'm starting with you. I'm driving along at a steady speed, using my cruise control, I'm catching up to the car in front of me, I move over to the left to pass and they speed up. I move back to the right and start catching you again, I'm looking at you Indiana. This whole time I have not changed speed and this game goes on and on until I finally just floor it and blow by them and create a little separation. This usually solves the problem, but puts me at risk of a ticket all because somebody wants to race. I get paid to drive, 3 tickets and I can't drive anymore. The way I see it you are risking my livelihood and the livelihood of my family and I should be permitted to kill you.

The left lane is for passing. I shouldn't have to say another word. Pass, then get back over until you need to pass again, consider it a personal failure on your part anytime somebody manages to pass you on the right, I suggest you get one of those flogging things the albino in the Da Vinci Code had, use it on yourself as a gentle reminder to stay out of the fast lane unless you are passing.

The entrance ramp to the highway is also known as an acceleration lane, it is there for you to get up to highway speed before blending into the flow of traffic. It is not there for you to creep down at 30 miles per hour while looking over your shoulder and forcing your way in, thus forcing everybody else to slam on their brakes , then quickly accelerate like you should have in the first place. My drivers education teacher was adamant about this and would scream loudly and fearfully at us while we practiced this maneuver, and he was a shop teacher, everybody knows they are expert driving instructors.

I, as much as anyone else, love my cell phone. We go on the road for weeks at a time and it is our link to home, and to our next load, we gotta have it. And just like some people can have coffee in the car without burning their hoo hoo's , some people can drive and hold a phone and some people cannot, its that simple. Some people answer the phone and just plain forget that they are driving, they are so obvious to us now that its not even fun predicting it from way back. I won't go on and on about this one, I will just ask this, why would so many people come this far with technology and then stop? Why not keep going stupid, get yourself a hands free or a Bluetooth, before you kill us all.

I know its been a long and windy rant, but for over three hundred thousand miles, in just over two years, I've fought the urge to put on a clown suit and take a sniper riffle up on an overpass and do Gods work. Now that this is out of my system , maybe the next guy that cuts me of will just be left alone, unharmed, and I'll just take a deep cleansing breath. Or maybe I'll put two in the back of his head. Who can predict these things?

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
And your tag # is? We should all know so we can clear the way! lol!

It is aggrevating to be on the road with drivers who never earned the privledge. They just happened to need the credit to graduate high school.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's exactly why I don't own a gun. If I did I would use it on a daily basis. I can't afford all that ammunition.

In my LTL days pulling doubles I would often get a four wheeler hanging in the left lane at the end of my rear trailer. Their headlights in my mirror and leaving me no out should I need it. A little input to the steering wheel rectified that problem. When that rear wagon wiggled at them, they found the accelerator and were gone.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ftp: that was great! Thanks for the smile, though it's sure not funny when you're out there dealing with it every day.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
There was a time when I traveled and worked in northern Michigan extensively. The road would often get plugged up by a series of mega motorhomes driven by extremely elderly folks. They were in no hurry and didn't feel the need to remain in their lane either. I always thought a 20mm cannon mounted in my grill would be the ticket. The thing is the ammunition is very expensive. My only recourse was to learn to remain cheerful under duress.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having just finished Dale Carnegie's latest book "How to Lose Friends and Alienate Acquaintances" I am compelled to comment. Many drivers on the highways exhibit the behavior you mention and are infuriating. That can't be questioned. I do however have a significant problem with the multiple references to road rage shootings. That seems inappropriate for the forum and certainly isn't needed as additional fuel for the liberals who look for any excuse to take away more gun rights.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ftp000

Expert Expediter
Lighten up Leo, I obviously am not condoning real violence. I was just describing how I believe most of us as drivers drivers have felt at one time or another. Most people get it, it seems to me though, that in your haste to protect your right to bear arms, which I whole heartedly support, you wouldn't mind trampling on freedom of speech, if you didn't like what was being said.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
OK, before we run off in the direction of freedom of speech, I'm sure this was written 'tongue in cheek' and was just venting frustration. However, Leo's right also that some people look for excuses. That being said, I've moved it to the loading dock!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

ftp000

Expert Expediter
My tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I wrote this mess, I probably should have posted it here to start with, thanks for moving it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo, I am trying to find "How to Lose Friends and Alienate Acquaintances". where did you get your copy?

Also I guess I have to say that it is better to vent on a forum and get feedback - good or bad - than to actualy keep it bottled up and snap one day.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I realize it was tongue in cheek. My points were I don't believe multiple statements of road rage shooting, even when tongue in cheek, are appropriate. I still don't. My other point was that the liberals will take things such as this, which are obviously ridiculous by their very intent, and use them as talking points and fodder for their foolishness.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ftp000

Expert Expediter
yea, what will probably happen is that some liberal organization will visit EO, or my pathetic Myspace page and then quote my little rant, Americans will be turned against you and they'll finally pry you're gun from your cold dead hands. Seriously Leo, within half an hour of posting that I had nice responses and a few thank-yous (pm's) for the chuckle, then you started crying because Charleton Heston might not be pleased and my post got moved to here, where nobody is likely be offended because very few ever come here. Sell one of those trucks and buy youself a funny bone ya old stick in the mud.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Remember the little sticky dart guns that we had as kids? I'd just love to be able to "tag" an idiot driver with one of those. Sticky dart, with a "My driving stinks" flag hanging from it. :+

Seriously, there is way to much road rage going on, and upon seeing evidence of it on the highway, I will back off.....and allow the raging ones move on down the road. :)