Just a thought

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I figured I would throw this in here to see what people think.

Can we have added to the posts the IP address of the poster on this forum?

I don't mean for the Mods but publicly.

I know it is done on other sites and forums and I think it may cut down on a couple problems some experience.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I am ignorant as far as IP addresses. Does it make a difference if for example. I can sign on using my Sprint account or using the Flying J wifi. Does my IP show different when I use different accounts?
Is there a fool proof way to identify a poster by just IP address?
To me, if someone feels they need more than one username, then they are only around to cause trouble. Good, bad or indifferent, I am only Pelicn. If I stick my foot in my mouth, it's for all the world to see. :p

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Just a thwought

I am ignorant as far as IP addresses. Does it make a difference if for example. I can sign on using my Sprint account or using the Flying J wifi. Does my IP show different when I use different accounts?
Is there a fool proof way to identify a poster by just IP address?
To me, if someone feels they need more than one username, then they are only around to cause trouble. Good, bad or indifferent, I am only Pelicn. If I stick my foot in my mouth, it's for all the world to see. :p

It is very easy to test if you have different ips with them. In your search window or at google just type in -

what is my ip

It will show you your ip at that time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
After a certain amount of time the threads could be archived not to be added unto or brought up in the original form....that said

One could start a new thread and post a link to the archived thread to reference the topic they were typing about....

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Greg,

That is a thought, but everytime it has been suggested, a few controversial people always spaz out citing privacy rights, etc... so not I just check behind the scenes if I suspect multiple ID's, and if it's obvious, I drop them a PM, and inform them to pic a name and stick with it.

You will notice, a few .. um.. very loud... names have stopped posting. I don't expose them publicly, but give them a choice.

Ken,

We do archive some things, but lowering the amount of time might be an option we look into.

Thanks,

Dale

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
We also have a software program that sniffs to see if there is a duplicate account.

We used to share IP's publicly - but came under fire from the members over use Privacy Issues. :confused:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I think you understand what I am saying, which is good. A lot of forums do this to eliminate the "multiple personalities" that some have and for the most part we are more mobile than not which brings up that privacy issues have been address through a change in technology, there seems to be no static IP addresses for an awful lot of people now on their aircard or at the truckstop unless one pays for a static IP at home. But again, I can get a lot of info on people through myspace and twitter that they never knew someone could get.

Keep it mind for a 'maybe' future up grade....

Oh and the archive thing, yea it is a very good idea to put a 180 day lock on threads. It serves the forum well to limit the threads a bit.

Thanks for the response guys......

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
We also have a software program that sniffs to see if there is a duplicate account.

It is called "Chill 2000" :D

We used to share IP's publicly - but came under fire from the members over use Privacy Issues. :confused:

If someone is so worried about privacy, can you please explain to me why they are on the internet in the first place?!? :eek: Good grief! :rolleyes:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So what you are suggesting would eliminate my other 19 EO ids.

eheheh........catch me if you can.

just joshin ya'll. I can stir the pot as much as I want as dabluzman1.

Peace.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My feeling is that those who create alternate identities are like the drivers who cruise past a long line of patient vehicles in order to cut in front of them - something they would not have the guts to do if they didn't feel anonymous, eh?
They don't deserve the protection, IMO.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't create multiple names because I'm too lazy, but there are plenty of reasons to want to post anonymously onto the net, here included. People have had their contracts canceled, and other problems, because of what has been said in these forums.

In any case, if you know someone's IP address and are mad at them, which can happen on occasion in a forum, or if yer just nuts, if you know what you are doing, you can put them in a world of hurt. Spoofing an IP address is pretty easy, relatively speaking, and you can do a lot of damage to someone while using their IP address.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I don't create multiple names because I'm too lazy, but there are plenty of reasons to want to post anonymously onto the net, here included. People have had their contracts canceled, and other problems, because of what has been said in these forums.

In any case, if you know someone's IP address and are mad at them, which can happen on occasion in a forum, or if yer just nuts, if you know what you are doing, you can put them in a world of hurt. Spoofing an IP address is pretty easy, relatively speaking, and you can do a lot of damage to someone while using their IP address.

You, Sir, are an industrious Turtle whose prolific energy, if properly harnessed, could bring about great good or mischief. I refuse to believe any report labeling you as "Satan's ambitious little sidekick." You would not join league with the Dark Side.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the tools that let you do some of the really kewl, fun stuff no longer work because operating systems, routers and even backbone connections have gotten smarter. But there are some that still do, new ones. I've been around since very near the beginning UUCP, and saw the beginning of TCP/IP, so I know how it all works and have seen it evolve. Over the years you learn things. :)

Aarrrr, Matey.