June Locations and all the Banter who can post!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok folks, Day 1 at the front.....err...MTA Truck Driving Championship.

Arrived at the Lexington Lansing Hotel at 0945. Found Bill, Blake, and Rob sitting at a table off the lobby. Eno arrived a few minutes later.

Checked in, got a grab bag of goodies and they took my picture, probably a mug shot in case I steal something, then went back to the table to see what was next. Read the info on the schedule, and went off to have breakfast.

At noon, there was orientation and the written exam. Three of us had 13 wrong answers out of 40 questions. One didn't write down his answers. It was kind of frustrating since the answers were in a supplied book, but we didn't get the books in time to study. I got mine yesterday. I'm sure we could have done better had we had them sooner.

We then had a power point presentation of the obstacle course, pre-trip inspection, and the door prize raffle. Blake and I didn't win anything, while Eno won a shirt and Rob a coffee mug he traded for a drink cup.

Next was the obstacle course walk through. Blake and Rob are on the south course, Eno and I the north. The man running the walk through on the north course explained it rather quickly and asked Eno and I to leave when we noticed something in the blind back that wasn't mentioned earlier.

Blake and Rob left after Bill took a few pics. Bill, Eno, and I found an Outback Steakhouse and had a steak dinner. Actually, we stuffed ourselves.

My take on the competition? It's somewhat bias towards the drivers of the trucks that were supplied by their companies. The straights are somewhat even since the two here are from a rental company and a dealer. They aren't close to what we drive. Day cabs with huge liftgates on the rear. Since depth perception is the main focus of the course, it will be hard to maneuver the course in an unfamiliar truck.

Oh well, we'll do the best we can. Chapter Two tomorrow.

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums

Hang in there boys. This is our first year and I am sure the thing might be a bit biased towards some of the regulars and ltl carriers. We will study, watch, learn and wait for them to let their guard down!!!! (wait that is me with my competitors). :cool:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Whatever the outcome, it's time well spent. Waiting for the photos!

Speaking of, looks like Looks like the Mssrs [I hope that means Mr & Mrs, but suspect it means Misters - ooops!] Vanman have been spending theirs productively too. It's inspiring - think I'll look at garden sites for awhile, instead of Cracked.com.
;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whatever the outcome, it's time well spent. Waiting for the photos!

Speaking of, looks like Looks like the Mssrs [I hope that means Mr & Mrs, but suspect it means Misters - ooops!] Vanman have been spending theirs productively too. It's inspiring - think I'll look at garden sites for awhile, instead of Cracked.com.
;)

That long row is Yukon Gold potatoes.....
Last pic on right is the trailer park hookups....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Have had a good day and bad day.

Its been good cause I have had a great week and topping it off a nice weekend load to Texas.

The bad. Forklift driver smashed the vans tail light lucky not bad enough to put it out of service all lights are working. Knocked a chunk out of the plastic and cracked it. Gotta get it turned into safety tomorrow sometime guess I can fax in the incident and email in the photos.

Rant on ----- And have ran into nothing but aholes all day. Almost everyone I spoke to today had a nasty attitude and acting like you know whats. Its hard dealing with the small anger issues I have but when I come across these people I have to bite my lip so much from going off. I'm nice to everyone I give everyone all my respect no matter what no matter what kind of day I'm having and was nice to the forklift driver who smashed into the tail light and wished him a good weekend etc even though he was rude to me but still get the bad attitudes from him and others. Oh well what can ya do. -------Rant off lol

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Had a great load Thursday night. Sitting in Atlanta it was one of those "quick little run, easy, bang it out while we look for something better" runs. 9 mile DH for 50 loaded up to Cartersville. Sure, I'll do that. Load came over the QC:

Pickup is Air France...

You know how the shorter the load, and the less it pays, the bigger PITA the loads turns out to be?
This was the poster child for that.
sigh.gif

The load I'm on now was hand delivered to me by ebsprintin when he was on his way through town. He had one load going one way, mine goes to Flint.

Last edited:

1expeditor

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have had a good day and bad day.

Its been good cause I have had a great week and topping it off a nice weekend load to Texas.

The bad. Forklift driver smashed the vans tail light lucky not bad enough to put it out of service all lights are working. Knocked a chunk out of the plastic and cracked it. Gotta get it turned into safety tomorrow sometime guess I can fax in the incident and email in the photos.

Rant on ----- And have ran into nothing but aholes all day. Almost everyone I spoke to today had a nasty attitude and acting like you know whats. Its hard dealing with the small anger issues I have but when I come across these people I have to bite my lip so much from going off. I'm nice to everyone I give everyone all my respect no matter what no matter what kind of day I'm having and was nice to the forklift driver who smashed into the tail light and wished him a good weekend etc even though he was rude to me but still get the bad attitudes from him and others. Oh well what can ya do. -------Rant off lol

Give you alot of credit chris for not going off on the forklift driver glad all your lights
are still working and you still get to do that run to texas...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im hoping they can find me somthing today. Needing to be home yesterday put a kink in my week.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums