Jackie Kennedy tapes to be released

Monty

Expert Expediter
The then Mrs Kennedy, who went on to marry Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis, had ordered that they should not be released until 50 years after her death, with some reports suggesting she feared that her revelations might make her family targets for revenge.

She died 17 years ago from cancer aged 64 and now her daughter, Caroline Kennedy, has agreed to release the recordings early

Political News & Views: Jackie-O's JFK Conspiracy

I am so pleased to see these released .... I had resigned myself to dying before they were.

I was at Ft Devens, Ma attending school for the Army Security Agency. Another guy there with me was from Texas, and he was heard to state, "The SOB had him shot!" .... When asked who he meant by that, he said he was sure LBJ had a part in this.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
JFK is not Jackie.

After her fight with the native Americans about the island access issue in the late 70's, I lost all respect I had for her and hoped she would just go away but people held her up as some sort of royal.

Maybe we should get the FBI reports too and not redacted versions.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Still... she knew stuff about the assassination we don't. I, for one, would love to hear her say she believed it was LBJ. That was one evil SOB!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Still... she knew stuff about the assassination we don't. I, for one, would love to hear her say she believed it was LBJ. That was one evil SOB!

What she knew wasn't enough to prove anything, or she'd have done it back then, IMO. Even if she says she believed it was LBJ, so what? Does that change anything?
The teaser is 'explosive information', but the details of JFK's [And Jackie's] marital indiscretions are hardly explosive - "finding knickers in their bedroom" seems to point to the revelations one can expect.....:rolleyes:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

What she knew wasn't enough to prove anything, or she'd have done it back then, IMO. Even if she says she believed it was LBJ, so what? Does that change anything?

It changes the legacy of Mr Great Society. Jackie's words carry weight... especially with older folks who looked at the WH as Camelot. He's already considered a warmonger. This would show him to the be evil scum he was... especially if she had proof.

Actually, I thought it was the Federal Reserve who killed him. They had every reason to.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I dunno, Hawk - her reputation was more for style than substance, and her marriage to Onassis didn't improve her image at all.
It's hard to believe she would have kept quiet if she had any actual proof, though - the general public thought a lot more of her than LBJ, at least for a few years after the assassination. What would have shut her up?:confused:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I dunno, Hawk - her reputation was more for style than substance, and her marriage to Onassis didn't improve her image at all.
It's hard to believe she would have kept quiet if she had any actual proof, though - the general public thought a lot more of her than LBJ, at least for a few years after the assassination. What would have shut her up?:confused:

The fear of them going after her kids.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The fear of them going after her kids.

Her kids were adored even more than their parents - she had only to share any perception of threats, and no one would have dared - assassinating JFK was one thing, but Caro & JohnJohn were untouchable, even for the most evil of evildoers.
At least I hope so.....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Her kids were adored even more than their parents - she had only to share any perception of threats, and no one would have dared - assassinating JFK was one thing, but Caro & JohnJohn were untouchable, even for the most evil of evildoers.
At least I hope so.....

Well, from what I know, she married Onasis to keep the Kennedys and the media away from her kids. She was sick of all of it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

It was nothing to do with style but with being an elite. She's the example of what women wanted to achieve in her times and she represented that WASP style of living that was opposite from that of Eleanor, Bess and Mamie - all of them were more like housewives and not like princesses.

Let's see, ever seen the movie Mona Lisa Smile?

Watch the movie carefully and with an open mind on how women of that type act.

Miss Porter's School, Vassar and people who keep their mouths shut all come to mind. I can be sure that if she knew something, it went with her to her grave because she wasn't going to start spilling the beans knowing what happens to people when they do that - it wasn't a proper thing to do.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I'll wait for the actual report .. the tidbits the media are dropping is to get the "bon-bon" eaters to turn the channel.

Hopefully the report will be an interesting one .. and not a tabloid you see at the supermarket.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'll wait for the actual report .. the tidbits the media are dropping is to get the "bon-bon" eaters to turn the channel.

Hopefully the report will be an interesting one .. and not a tabloid you see at the supermarket.

Please... just tell me Geraldo isn't hosting it. I can't go thru another Capone's vault!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Please... just tell me Geraldo isn't hosting it. I can't go thru another Capone's vault!

That was just excruciatingly awful - and now that I think of it, right around the time I decided tv is more sizzle than steak, mostly.
At least this one promises 'knickers on the bedroom floor' instead of cobwebs....:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It was nothing to do with style but with being an elite.

The difference between Jackie o & Eleanor, Bess, & Mamie, was style: she had it, they didn't.

She's the example of what women wanted to achieve in her times and she represented that WASP style of living that was opposite from that of Eleanor, Bess and Mamie - all of them were more like housewives and not like princesses.

Most women didn't want to achieve her style of living, just her killer fashion sense, lol.

Let's see, ever seen the movie Mona Lisa Smile?

Nope, because it wasn't funny, and that's pretty much the only movies I like.

Watch the movie carefully and with an open mind on how women of that type act.

You're not really trying to school me on how women act, are you? Really?!

Miss Porter's School, Vassar and people who keep their mouths shut all come to mind. I can be sure that if she knew something, it went with her to her grave because she wasn't going to start spilling the beans knowing what happens to people when they do that - it wasn't a proper thing to do.
If you say so......:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't matter really because she represented to many a family who was out of touch and rather felt they were above everyone.

Style or not, the problem was she had nothing to compare to when it comes to the last three first ladies, they had substance, they were not putting up with the lifestyle that their husbands created. FDR is the closest to JFK in an extra marital affair but that was one women instead of turning the white house into a :censoredsign: house.

AND Yes IF you don't get the times and the people when you that she should have talked, you forget where she came from and who she really was. She wasn't Eleanor who was very outspoken or Mamie who was not comfortable hiding the truth, but someone who came from a background that was removed from the norm and brought up that you just didn't speak about matters that would embarrassed the family or yourself.

No matter how you all want to look at it, she is part of a family that screwed up the country and has not deserved to be respected let alone admired.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Pretty tough call there Greg .... many times the wives and children of the star of the show are somewhat innocent.

btw, did you admire Barbara Bush? There was one powerful, and unassuming, first lady.