Jack Berry Needs our prayers

guido4475

Not a Member
Wow!

Our prays to both of them, it is a hard road ahead for them.

I have one rather stupid question - why is this not in the general forum?

This news about Jack is a tradgedy.To worry about where it is posted, is, as you guessed, stupid.Why get so Technical about something so not important????

My heartfelt sypathy and prayers go out to Jack and his family, and his wife as well.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Everyone here at EO wishes you the best and we pray for comfort, peace and health for you and your family.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jack and I have had long discussions re: keeping this private or sharing it. Linda (and Bob) have shared some of that with us.
We finally decided to just let all know as it is slowly seeping out thru people we have told.
We have now seen a great number of doctors and Jack was hospitalized for a couple of days last week. His disease is progressing more rapidly then expect; we pray for a respite in its progression, as sometimes happens. In the meantime, we are dealing with what he has the best we can.

We lost a friend and neighbor to this wicked disease 6 years ago, so are well aware of its behavior and progression.

We have been very encouraged by a visit from another ALS patient who lives in our neighborhood. They gave us hope, not for a change in diagnosis nor outcome, but for living now. The visit made a huge difference to us.

Oh, Gracie - I was sooo hoping the 2nd opinion would be different. But you have already found the silver lining in such terrible news: the willingness of folks to share what they learned [the hard way], as the neighbor did. Of course we offer prayers and sympathy and love, [and we mean it - you and Jack are loved here], but nothing will help as much as someone who's 'been there'. I'm so glad you have that help. The internet, too, will be a huge resource for keeping up with it all [meds, treatments, support groups, strategies], and it's good that you are both pretty savvy online.
You might not even need us anymore.:eek: But you both are part of this community, so please don't think we moved on because you're 'off the road' - we want to know how you are, and we really want to hear from you if there's anything we can do. We're still here for you [both of you], as always. :)

We appreciate your prayers and kind words. God's blessings on all.

GracieB

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you to all for leaving a message. It is encouraging to read that he is not forgotten, just out of sight.

We had more tests and doctors today, Jack had more needles poked into him. We passed on one blood test due to cost, saving our money for this afternoon's MRI (3rd one!).
One positive note: Jack has been riding our stationary bicycle and using small hand weights. The doctor found his strength increased in his arms and legs. So that is a "keep on trucking" item, encouraging as that was just over a two week period with results. Maybe I should follow Jack's example!

BTW: Jack got an iPad yesterday as his laptop is getting to be too much to carry. I made the mistake of asking for the game "Angry Birds" and he is loving that noisy game! Fun to see him smile and occasionally laugh, I have missed that.

Next up to purchase is a power lift chair.

Thanks again for all the well wishes.

--Gracie (aka Helle to that crazy MerV driver Jon!)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Bob really enjoys his IPAD and I imagine Jack will as well. Glad he is enjoying Angry Birds I have heard it is addicting which why I am staying as far away as possible... I do not need another addiction!

Keep laughing and enjoying everyday

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Bob really enjoys his IPAD and I imagine Jack will as well. Glad he is enjoying Angry Birds I have heard it is addicting which why I am staying as far away as possible... I do not need another addiction!

I keep hearing about this angry birds thing, how can you not unless you live under a rock. Is it only for Apple products?

d_b1486

Active Expediter
No they should have it on androids as well. And I actually found it for laptop also. But they only have the original for laptops, but on iPhone/ipad and android they have 3 of them already. And Its not that addicting, just passes time faster. own all 3 beat all 3.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
They have it.for.droids. hey have angry birds seasons and angry birds rio and a bunch of others. its addicting....

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

No they should have it on androids as well. And I actually found it for laptop also. But they only have the original for laptops, but on iPhone/ipad and android they have 3 of them already. And Its not that addicting, just passes time faster. own all 3 beat all 3.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

They have it.for.droids. hey have angry birds seasons and angry birds rio and a bunch of others. its addicting....

Like I don't have enough to do with Farmville, Cityville, Mafia Wars but I'll have to check into it LOL

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I lost my brother to ALS a few years back. His was a very slow progression. He lasted about 14 years after it was confirmed he had it. He was still able to feed himself and talk when he passed. It just wore him out. The last couple of years he had a power wheelchair and that helped a lot. Youa'l have a hard road ahead. My prayers are with both of you. Jerry Lee

GracieB

Seasoned Expediter
I keep hearing about this angry birds thing, how can you not unless you live under a rock. Is it only for Apple products?

It is also available for the Barnes & Noble Color Nook. I have procrastinated on buying it (it is all of $2.99) but probably will now since I now will get to use the color nook instead of the b&w. I do not play games online however play Suduko on the nook a lot.

BTW: the Color Nook was a joint Christmas gift from our 3 boys...did not share well so i bought a Classic Nook. Now I can sell that one!

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunate that bad things that happen to good people. I am only new here but Jack helped me with some of my research and fact finding via PM so I am grateful.

My thoughts and prayers to both of you.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jack buddy I love you man I really do from the bottom of my heart wish you and your family the best...My grandma had ALS for 7 years I know from a certain standpoint of what your going through...I promise to send my prayers to the good lord above to help comfort you and bless you and your family...

Reactions: 1 person

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
tina and i will be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers also. we truly hope for the best for you and jack. if jack is a vet. please see about getting help with his chair from them or there are some other organizations that offer help also.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Jack & Gracie

Very tragic to hear of this news. May god comfort you and your family. We will say our prayers in our house for you

Reactions: 1 person

GracieB

Seasoned Expediter
tina and i will be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers also. we truly hope for the best for you and jack. if jack is a vet. please see about getting help with his chair from them or there are some other organizations that offer help also.
Jack was 4F, cannot see without his glasses! First thing he puts on every day, before he even gets out of bed!
Fortunately Jack is mobile, his legs are not affected, it is his speech (throat) and upper body weakness. When we need "stuff" we are fortunate in our location. We have ALS organizations on both sides of our home: north in Milwaukee and south in Skokie.
So far we can use what we have at home for these problems and I have been able to do some of the heavier things that Jack formerly did. And we have people who will come help us.
Thanks for the suggestion, though!
--Gracie