Iv'e had it

E

express1man

So are you saying this line of work is for retired old folks that have an income that can afford to pay to have a truck out here for whom they drive for? I am not sure which one of you drivers are out here on vacation but I came here to work. I enjoy this line of work except for the sitting. Is it so wrong for a driver to want to work for his/her money? I have a family to support and if this is not going to do the trick then yes people should move on to a different line of work. We cant all be expected to live like bums and live in our trucks. I have a home and a new car and that my friend didnt come from sitting on my ass I can guarentee that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
So are you saying this line of work is for retired old folks that have an income that can afford to pay to have a truck out here for whom they drive for? I am not sure which one of you drivers are out here on vacation but I came here to work. I enjoy this line of work except for the sitting. Is it so wrong for a driver to want to work for his/her money? I have a family to support and if this is not going to do the trick then yes people should move on to a different line of work. We cant all be expected to live like bums and live in our trucks. I have a home and a new car and that my friend didnt come from sitting on my ass I can guarentee that.
True, E1man, and since we are driving for the same racket we are sure to have some horror stories to tell between the two of us. But, the only thing to do is to plug away at it until we get it right. And by right, I mean until we're happy.

Don't live like a bum. The way that I look at it is that if I think it's a vacation, it's a vacation. A vacation with brief stops for work.

tnt1271

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think thats what he meant. But sitting does come with the job. Last week we had 3600 miles this week we are sitting on 1100 miles. Also if after sitting for 4 days you should have been making phone calls to get moved to a better area. Although you might have done that. I might sit for 2 days depending on where I am at. I dropped a load in jacksonville, fl wednesday I called my fleet coordinator the second I dropped off because I was 3rd out 2nd team so they moved us to knoxville, tn and I am still sitting. Not because I didnt get a load but because I turned one down going to laredo because I didnt want to take that crap shoot. So if I am unsure I call dispatch, I call other drivers and I call my fleet coordinator. We do everything we can to try to get a load.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I don't think I would like working for an outfit that wouldn't let me book my own loads. I used to take weekend loads that went a good distance from the freight lanes because the money was good. As soon as I accepted the load I'd have the wife on the computer finding me something to get me back to a good area. Usually we'd get something lined out and oked by the company before the end of the day on friday. Then you have no worries. Didn't always work that way, but most times it did.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
From January 4th to February 11th (with 2 days OOS in the middle of January), totalling 37 days in service:

9082 total paid miles, 1717 average per week,

2053 total deadhead miles (unpaid and paid + paid empty moves), 22.6% of paid miles, 18.4% of total miles.

Deadhead could have been lower ... if I hadn't taken a couple of empty moves of several hundred miles each - but then I might have sat in each place a couple of more days .... and I sure wouldn't have gotten the loads on the end of those empty moves.

I accepted all loads offered and turned none down :)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
As Ive posted before,whats slow for some is busy for others.You can either sit in a bad location and feel sorry for yourself,or you can move and make things happen.Next time your offered a load,you better be sure your not moving into an over populated area.Even in the busy months you can sit alot if your in a spot with lots of trucks.I'm just happy I'm in a tractor,they have been calling me ,even when I'm out of service.Ive had this darn flu and really didnt want to do much work,but they have been keeping me busier than I really want.dont take this as a brag,its the nature of the business.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Steve,

Hope ya are feeling better soon. My wife can down with the flu this past weekend .... seems like she's mostly over it .... but there's still a bit hanging around that she hasn't been able to shake. I'm sure it's no fun. :(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Before starting into this business, I haul cars locally for a municipality. I was always on the move and working my tail off even in harsh weather. Now all I do is sit and wait for my company to determine how far my truck can go and how much money I am allowed to make...

I enjoy this line of work except for the sitting.

Without a doubt, the hardest thing about expediting is learning to have the patience to sit. Especially for solo drivers. We do, primarily, emergency freight. We move when the freight has to be moved, and until we know that someone needs emergency freight moved, we sit. People who have driven in other trucking and transportation sectors have the hardest time learning to sit. Just sit. Just sit there and do nothing.

People who have trucks and vans that are not comfortable, not insulated or heated, are not gonna want to sit in them. You're gonna be uncomfortable and you won't want to be in there for anything other than driving. But, sit in them we do. We sit. You sit. I sit. All of us, we sit. You have to have something that passes the time, be it a computer and internet access, or TV, DVD's, books, needlepoint, one-handed magazines, whatever, you've gotta have something to pass the time. Cause you're gonna sit. A lot.

I think if the expedite companies had to pay detention time for layovers they might be more motivated in getting loads for the trucks sitting.

A customer calls a carrier, the carrier has a job for you, an independent contractor, and they call you and contract you to do that job. Once that job is finished, once you've made your delivery, you're instantly out of a job. You're unemployed until the next job offer comes along. That's the job. Between job offers you sit. You can move to an area where you are likely to get a new job offer, based on the history of an area, but even then you are doing nothing more than moving to a new area to sit. Sit and wait for the next job.

I bet them big trucking companies dont have this problem...

Oh, but they do. Not exactly the same, but they have similar problems, especially when the industry as a whole is in a slow period, like it is now.

If you cannot make peace with sitting, then expediting isn't for you. It'll eat you up. You're much better off upgrading to a Class A with doubles and getting job driving LTL. Or researching carriers carefully to see which of the ones have a smaller, but perhaps more of a dedicated run, customer base. Or local delivery, like air freight runs.

Otherwise, pull up a seat, take a load off, sit a spell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Steve,

Hope ya are feeling better soon. My wife can down with the flu this past weekend .... seems like she's mostly over it .... but there's still a bit hanging around that she hasn't been able to shake. I'm sure it's no fun. :(

Doctor gave me an antibiotic,after 5 days felt like a new person,but still had two more days to take the pills. Not bad enough been sick,truck breaks down,and they are still tryig to get me to run,get pre dispatched for when truck is out of shop,had very big week.Now im home,truck in shop again,2am phone call,yep dispatch offer when I have no truck.If true to form,Monday when I'm ready to go back to work,we will have more trucks in Canton than loads,but thats expediting.Hope your wife feels better,its not any fun being sick.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
All new and aspiring expediters would be wise to pay very close attention to the content of Turtle's post. We have been preaching these thoughts at each of the ExpediterWorkshops held throughout the country. We tell folks that when they enter this line of work, they are not just buying a truck, they are buying a business. These words are repeated many times over, here in the EO forums.

Expediting as an owner/operator is not unlike any other small business. All or part of an Independent Contractors' investments in time, money and equipment is at risk. This statement is worth repeating.

All or part of an Independent Contractors' investments in time, money and equipment is at risk. We acknowledge this fact every year when we sign our Federal Income Tax Forms.

We each have expectations of daily run offers. These expectations are supported by the puffery spread by initial contacts with expediters, expedite carrier recruiters, and expediters with that other carrier, who want you to believe the grass is greener on his side of the fence. unfortunately, our expectations are not supported by the reality of the expediting segment of the trucking industry, this is particularly true in the cargo van community. Expectations are closer to reality in straight trucks and tractor/trailers because they have a far greater capability; with capability comes opportunity.

Back to Turtle's comments. We sit and wait at the pleasure of our carrier's customers. Sometimes they need us, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they call a cheaper carrier or a new owner/operator with authority to hustle business away from his former carrier. Some times we sit because of the season. We have slow periods that affect the business, as a whole. Generally, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are busier than the rest of the week; the first week of the month is slower than the remainder; the first month of the quarter tends to be slower than the latter two months.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I pulled into White Marsh GMP Plant in MD on Friday..
Drove to Pilot on I95 exit 93 in Perryville...Spent the weekend plus today ( Monday)..One possible going to Florida but bid fell through..
They ( Bolt) wanted to DH me to Cleveland OH with no garrantee of a load from there either...Deided to stay in PerryVille the night..
See if Tuesday looks better...
Stinks yes....but DHing to another area of no garantee to me is stupid...
Tomorrow is another day... LOL

there are no gurantees in life or expediting

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I've only been through one Orientation and that was at Panther. I have no idea what percent of the persons attending were already familiar with Expediting and the wait times involved between jobs. I do know it was NEVER mentioned during Orientation, be prepared to sit for 48 hours maybe more. It would have made a difference for me to know it was the norm and I was not being singled out because I was new to the Company.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Jan/Feb/March. Are the slowest time of the year and it's (NOT) worth going out to try and make a living! "Plain & simple" But no Company you work for will tell you that! They have monthly truck payments & operating expenses weather it's busy or not so they will do what ever they can to make a buck even if it took you a week to make it, "at your expense."

I feel sorry for all you Folk's living out of your trucks for weeks at a time not making any money and actually losing considering letting the truck run for heat eating out ect.

We have been in this business for three years now and we have been with three seperate Company's and from experience we plan on staying home until April-1st before we go out.
The sad thing is 100% of new Folk's are all fired-up to make a living and have no idea what is in store for them and they fail simply because they could not make it,or had any idea on how to plan for the slow season.

Most freight Companys could really careless about you that is why they hire on as many teams etc as they can, because of the high drop out rate. They make their money from you
without investing into your Company, so having a truck on every corner is good for them, "for freight pick-up" but too many trucks is bad for your bottom line, "not enough work for everybody." Trust me Folk's it will get worse this year" I've gone incorporated just so I can protect my self against what appears to be another bad year. Let alone the new threat from Mexican based trucking Copanys that will kill-us all with low pay drivers and pick-up rates 50% less than what we can afford to work for.

(Now) lets hear it from all the fleet owners etc who are catered to and will try to tell you I'm crazy. The fact is this thread is what I hear all the time and it's the truth. I'm a Trucking Company owner and I'm fed-up with everyhting I see, I often ask my self after all the taxes are paid, maintenance costs, truck payments, OH lets not forget about fuel what the hell I was thinking when I started this nightmare. (That is my opinion) And so-far nobody can take that away from me! Unless I'm sensored by an moderator, which I have seen before with other People.
Garman

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Even driving a tractor trailer for a non expedite company I've had to wait on loads, and layover several times. The only difference is they pay you layover pay that usually starts after you have been sitting 48 hours. Do you know how many times I've sat for 44,45,46, or 47 hours when I drove for C.R. England just for them to call me and have me dh 300 or 400 miles for a load so they didn't have to pay me layover pay? Of course I got paid for all miles so it wasn't a big deal until they called and said the load cancelled. Then I had to park and my layover clock started all over again.

The point I'm trying to make is there are problems in the non expedite side of trucking as well. Just different ones. Some are the same though. Like having to bite your tongue when you have a dispatcher on a power trip. It's worse in non expedite sometimes. Mainly because you are assigned dispatchers so you deal with the same ones over and over again. Everyday. If they are a pain, you deal with it everyday. If they are enjoyable to work with, you get to enjoy that everyday. At least in expedite it's more of a random thing based on which dispatcher is handling that load.

If you have a hard time dealing with certain problems like dispatchers,sitting around, or being away from home my suggestion would be to find a 9-5. It would be the best thing for you. Mainly because some things are going to be the same no matter which segment or which company you are with.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Glad to hear you are feeling better Steve. My wife is much better as well (the fact that she is after me to get off the couch is a sure sign ...)

there are no gurantees in life or expediting
True .... and more ironic than you can ever imagine .....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Over the years I've been thru 3 or 4 different orientations,and when I brought up why they never mention anything about how long you will sit between loads,or even if you will sit,the answer always is,the recruiter should have told you when you were in conversation with him.No recruiter is going to say,you might sit 3 or 4 days waiting for your next dispatch.For us,Houston texas is a good tractor Express center,always long loads,but you know in advance,that if there is 1 tractor there,yoou will probably sit til the next day to get out.The is always at least 1 tractor load every day out of Houston,and it will be heavy.So when Im offered a Houston load,or south Tx,I find out how many trucks are already there.Sitting in expedite is why we are paid for doing what we do at a higher wage.If you made $1.00 a mile,plus fsc of 34cpm,and only ran 1500 miles a week,taking 7 days,you wouldnt be around much,but if you ran 1500 miles in three days,and you received $3650.00 now its worth sitting.In summary,if the recruiter told you.you were going to sit 2 3 or 4 days between loads,would you be doing what you do?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
in a business that use owner operators,which means no forced dipatch,each and every company needs as many trucks as they can recruit.Sure they know your going to sit,but they have to be able to cover their customers loads,and of course they need a truck in every area at all times to be able to do this.Now all the loads that their companies offer,are not going to suit evry owner opp,so now these trucking companies have to load up the express centers ,because,there are many loads going to be turned down,and they have to keep their customers happy.When you get a run offer and it only goes 200 miles,your a team,before you turn that load down,decide if its better to take that load and move to a better center,or maybe sit for another day.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You are right, Garman, you have your opinion and no one can take it away from you. As an experienced expediter, you are free to base your opinions on the facts of your experience. If you sincerely believe that staying home until April 1 is the smart-money move, by all means, go for it!

Now, for newbies and expediter wannabees, let me offer a different opinion, one based on the facts of our experience. This is not to say Garman is wrong. It is to say that experiences and opinions vary in this business, and that newbies and wannabees would be wise to consider a number of views before forming views of their own.

Diane and I (not fleet owners, not catered to) have been in the business and with the same carrier since August, 2003. In that time, the January, February and March months have been as busy as the others.

This year, January revenue was below average, but it was not the freight's fault or our carrier's. We were out of service 10 days in January for personal reasons. As with many months, February, 2008, started slow but is picking up now.

I think that is partly because a number of people do take time off in the winter, which leaves more freight for a lesser number of available trucks. While the freight itself may slow, the fewer number of available trucks helps keep us busy.

It is also due to how we have equipped our truck and credentialled ourselves. Being able to haul just about every kind of freight our carrier hauls (reefer, lift gate, HAZMAT, etc.) makes us eligible to haul more kinds of loads. While general freight may slow down in the winter months, there is nothing in our experience to show that specialty expedite freight does.

Load strategy also plays a role. For example, on Friday, we got what would be considered a specialty load. It was a single envelope, reefer load that paid $560 for a 16 mile run with little deadhead. There are teams out there that would turn that load down because it is not a "team" load (meaning longer miles). We took the load.

The run gave us less than 75 status, which put us at the top of the board for next offers. With a handful of trucks in the area, being at the top of the board was a plus. The next offer came in moments later. It was for a 1,160 miles but paid ten cents less per mile than the minimum we like to run for. Looking at the bigger picture, we took the load.

By combining both runs, we were running at the per mile rate we like to stay above. Given the time of day, had we turned down the second load, we may well have sat over the weekend. The second load was not on the board earlier that day. It was true hot freight shipped in response to an emergency order placed by the consignee. The load was dispatched to our truck 12 minutes after the customer called in the order. Had we not had less than 75 status, the load may well have been offered to a truck closer to the pickup.

The second load sent us to Texas for a Saturday delivery. On the way, we were predispatched for a Texas pickup on Monday. That is another specialty load going 1,200 miles that pays well above our minimum rate per mile.

Had we not taken the short run to a pain-in-the-rear downtown Chicago location, we would not have earned less-than-75 status. Without less-than-75 status, we would not have received the offer to run to Texas. Had we ruled out the Texas run because it paid just a little bit too little, we would not have been predispatched on the Monday run.

Making the decisions we did got us running from Friday through Tuesday, making good money the whole time. Had we been grumpy about that non-team load or just-below-minimum pay on a particular load, we could very well be sitting today where we were sitting Friday morning.

Newbies and wannabees, listen up. It is not slow for everyone out there. Your carrier choice matters. Your driver credentials matter. Your truck capabilities matter. Seeing the big picture matters. And most important, your attitude matters.

Not grumpy here, and not sitting at home.:)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is a third opinion.

Some companies will make sure some run while let others sit. Call it what you will, it happens and it is a problem for all.

Some can not achieve the level that others have achieved regardless how hard they work. Don't ever think that you will get all the qualifications and put into the elite of the company right away. In truth starting at the top is the worst place to start.

Many fail not because they make mistakes or not know the business, but because the company - every company has a 'fit' for each person and it is finding the company that is right for you that truly is the hardest thing to ever do.

Being positive matters, being positive towards the work matters but also knowing what works for one does not work for everyone else.