it needs to be said, but i dont want to sound *****y

termite289

Expert Expediter
it seems almost every load into the princeton toyota plant, after im finished, im out of my 14 hours.
i don't know where the problem is on this issue. im just a driver. but it would be nice if they would set up a parkinglot on site with a bathroom, and vending machiens so we could take a brake there.
am i the only one running into this? if so y'all say so and ill delete the post, cause i dont want to bash a good customer. and i haul a lot of freight out there. it seems though that when im done, im always out of hours, even if i get there early.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah I know what you mean but isn't the Flying J or Pilot about 10 miles away? but when your out of hours your out of hours

and I thought that they had a restroom at the linker center?

correction never mind I'm thinking of a different place

termite289

Expert Expediter
they have a porta jon by the linker center, but your not allowed to park on property after unloading.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
If your out of hours but have to move off call safety so it can be noted with the 2010 crap coming in if they audit your logs you want the reason you moved. This could hurt your safety 2010 rating if you dont have that info. There isn't anything you can do if you are forced off of their property.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
but when your out of hours your out of hours

With paper logs the DOT allows you to go over your maximum driving time due to unforeseen circumstances such as major traffic delays, road conditions and finding a safe place to park. You must flag this and write an explanation. If you are a chronic abuser of this rule it will probably get you in trouble.

I don't know about electronic logs. Do as Scuba suggested and call safety. Then get it verified via the QC.

Yeah I know what you mean but isn't the Flying J or Pilot about 10 miles away.

Both are straight south of Toyota on U.S. 41. About 8 miles and 4 or 5 stop lights and you are there.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
With paper logs the DOT allows you to go over your maximum driving time due to unforeseen circumstances such as major traffic delays, road conditions and finding a safe place to park. You must flag this and write an explanation. If you are a chronic abuser of this rule it will probably get you in trouble.

You can only extend the driving hours up by 2 hours only if the delay was caused by weather. It also has to be completed within your 14 hour window. Don't know what the electronic logs will do.

Best answer call safety.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
it seems almost every load into the princeton toyota plant, after im finished, im out of my 14 hours.
i don't know where the problem is on this issue.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but...

"Can you legally & safely log this trip & still meet the scheduled delivery time & date (y/n)?"

If your 14 hours are so tight that you can't deliver and then have 10 or 15 minutes to spare to make that long, arduous 9 mile trek to the Flying J or the Pilot, then your answer to the above question would be "n". Since that question gets answered after you get loaded at the shipper, any undue delay in getting loaded would have to figure into the answer.

An undue delay en route or a lengthy delay in getting unloaded might have an impact on whether you can bust the backend of the 14 hour clock, but it would depend on how lengthy and what mood Safety is in at the moment. If there's any chance that you might have to stretch the 14 hour clock, I'd sure want Safety in on that decision, if for nothing else to CYA.

It's really not up to the shipper or consignee to provide "truck stop services" like parking, restrooms, vending machines, showers, restaurants, maid and turn-down services or anything else to truck drivers beyond the primary reason for you being there, that of delivering freight. One you have delivered the freight, you have no business there. You're much better off delivering the freight, and then thanking everyone you come in contact with for their time and/or business, and then making a hasty but determined exit, in order to prevent the possibility of you being a bother or a distraction.

i dont want to sound *****y, but it needed to be said. :D

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Turtle, good points.

One of the signs at a customer site that I saw when I drove for Swift said something to the affect:

Drivers You Must Read This, Yes that means you.

We are not a Truck Stop, Rest Area, Waste Dump or anything like that. Your time limit on this site is 30 minutes before scheduled delivery time to 30 minutes after you are empty. More than 30 minutes early or late - TOO BAD -. Out of hours - call your company (TOO BAD).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, there's the obvious problems like trash and human waste dumping that they don't want to have to deal with, but they simply don't want to be bothered with things outside of the job they're already doing. This is particularly true for when you pick up or deliver to places that are also Foreign Trade Zones, where a cornucopia of security issues can be thwarted by unnecessary distractions from trucks and drivers who shouldn't be there, anyway.

I never expect it, so I'm thrilled and appreciative when a shipper or cons lets me stay there for an extended period to sleep, like when DHL allowed me to stay there all day long at their facility at JFK.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Get a Co-driver then you won't have that problem.

One bunk truck so ill never have a codriver. Even if i had two bunks I would never put my life into the hands of someone i haven't known for many many years.

termite289

Expert Expediter
it isnt that i can not get to customer on time, they just fiddle fart around till im out of hours.

i think it is a scheduling issue, it seems they put pickup time 10 hours before delivery, even when the miles are short.
they sent me one today, pickup time is 22:01 and delivery time is 07:31 , 288 miles. not enough time for 8 hour brake between shipper, cons. so if they fiddle fart around, i would be out of hours again. after deadheading to shipper.
if im crazy, tell me and ill shut up. but this seems to happen a lot when going to this customer. and i dont want to waste 2 days on a 288 mile load.