Issues with getting an ELD for 2007 Hino or older

JohnB

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I own and drive a 2007 Hino Expediter straight truck. After trying numerous times to have the ELD installed in my truck, I was told that the 2007 Hino has a fuel injected control module not an ECM module and therefore is not compatible with any of the current ELDs on the market.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a fix?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A little insider info from a reliable source.

Hino, after years of trying to become ELD compatible, has recently applied for an exemption from the regulation.

I know one major carrier that has renewed leases on said equipment based on this info.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are certain devices that will talk to it enough to make it legal. Big roads dash link device will get enough info from plugging in that it works, won’t read the odometer but it does know when the vehicle is moving so it’s enough for it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have the same problem. With the new omnitracs system only reads some stuff. You have to switch everything manually and it still does not keep mileage or MPH.

JohnB

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
What year is your Hino I'm working with my Hino dealer and the Hino rep. Now to if these is a solution for this

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
2007. Their is no solution. Anything 2007 and older. 2008 is perfect (go figure) send me over the Hino reps number I’ll call him too. Maybe if we all call we can do something?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
From what I understand, the ELD is trying to monitor data that the ECU doesn't process, making this task impossible. A different type of datalogging is necessary. In 2008 the issue was fixed.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Depending on the the definition of what info has to be recorded by the eld, an exemption for the 05 to 07 hinos might have to be granted.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe a clue.
A friend said Holly at DSA , Kalamazoo Mi has a J1939 Converter Box, about $190.00 that has worked in some Hinos.
Phone number I got off the internet is 269-544-9000.
Rob Mitchell and Jeff Hall were also mentioned as working there.
My friend’s carrier has decided not to honor the exemption IF Hino does obtain one, but they change policy about as often as OVM chops wood.
If anyone gets one, possibly by seeing these people in Kalamazoo, please update this post so I can help my friend who would like to stay with his carrier.
I’ll also update with better phone number if I get one.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My friend’s carrier has decided not to honor the exemption IF Hino does obtain one, but they change policy about as often as OVM chops wood.
I would think that most carriers wouldn't want to mess around with older trucks that aren't fully ELD compatible just because they can. What's best for the carrier is best for the carrier and not necessarily best or even mediocre for the contractor.

If you friend is satisfied and doing well with his carrier then $190 for for the converter thing is cheap compared to going through the hassle and expense of signing on with a new and unknown carrier. Good luck to your friend!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks.
First the carrier said he was done.
Then they were excited and renewed his lease, saying they would honor the exemption, if granted.
Now they say, screw the exemption, you’re done this month.
He lives five minutes from LAX, basically runs a 50 mile radius and is older than OVM.

Too old for another truck, but loves his local niche.

He bought the converter box, but the Q-Com idiot in Fontana couldn’t get it to work.
The seller said it works on some trucks.
I don’t know why only “some”.
So, he sent it back yesterday.

When I spoke to him I said possibly someone near K-Zoo can get theirs working.

You need to know if your truck is 250 or 500 kbs.
Maybe GreasyTShirt can explain that to all of us .

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok. Update. I am using the Big Roads ELD. Everything works, miles, puts in into drive automatically if you want. Miles goes by gps miles but they have been right on for under 300 miles. Haven’t done anything longer yet. It’s about $235 for the year paid upfront. If your company doesn’t use it or want you to use it. I know some companies that are. Message me. Or if you have question also. Happy New Year All. Let’s make some MONEY

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes. Automatically or there is a manual mode on the device. You can run the app in a manual mode and then you will have to do it manually.

UT Vol

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thanks.
First the carrier said he was done.
Then they were excited and renewed his lease, saying they would honor the exemption, if granted.
Now they say, screw the exemption, you’re done this month.
He lives five minutes from LAX, basically runs a 50 mile radius and is older than OVM.

Too old for another truck, but loves his local niche.

He bought the converter box, but the Q-Com idiot in Fontana couldn’t get it to work.
The seller said it works on some trucks.
I don’t know why only “some”.
So, he sent it back yesterday.

When I spoke to him I said possibly someone near K-Zoo can get theirs working.

You need to know if your truck is 250 or 500 kbs.
Maybe GreasyTShirt can explain that to all of us .
how do you find out the kbs and which one is the better for the Q-com?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still using big roads. No problems. If your carrier doesn’t want to use it. PTL will and there is a company out of Cleveland OH. Can’t remember the name but I’m sure someone in here works for them.

Reactions: UT Vol

UT Vol

New Recruit
Mechanic
After much back and forth with "Keep Truckin" and their engineering dept, we seemed to have a legal working ELD. the info is not displayed on the handheld like in a newer vehicle, it just says, 'in motion'. It records enough to be lega, I guess? Tracks truck and driver but know hard acceleration or braking. We found 9 pin and OBD2 ports without auto tap were the best option.

Melvin777

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info guys! I just got my first truck by God's grace, it's a 2014 Hino box truck! Gotta get Eld compliant!