is it a christmas tree or a holiday tree??

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Oh for goodness sake its a Christmas tree ...... the "holiday" is Christmas therefore the tree is a CHRISTMAS tree :mad:

For those that don't celebrate Christmas can say its a pretty tree :p

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I have Jewish friends who put up a tree and decorate it in the traditional Jewish theme of blue and silver. They call it a "Hannukah Tree". I don't do the tree thing any longer, I just hang a wreath on my door and slap a Santa hat on my gargoyle. Done.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I actually did "Laugh out loud" at the line about calling a menorah 'candles with sticks' :p

Dale

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh for goodness sake its a Christmas tree ...... the "holiday" is Christmas therefore the tree is a CHRISTMAS tree :mad:

For those that don't celebrate Christmas can say its a pretty tree :p

Aw, for crying out loud, I don't celebrate Christmas, But it's a christmas tree and I call it a christmas tree. I also say "Merry Christmas" to people while going thru my day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A few years ago I wished someone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. They shot back, snottily, "I don't celebrate Christmas." To which I replied, with a great, big smile, "Oh, OK. Then have a Merry Wednesday, and a Happy New Year!"

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few years ago I wished someone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. They shot back, snottily, "I don't celebrate Christmas." To which I replied, with a great, big smile, "Oh, OK. Then have a Lousy Wednesday, and a Crappy New Year!"

Fixed it for ya.

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Haha i really dont think it will ever be called holiday watevermas on the record maybe so but as far as us normal human beings well let me rephrase lol gor us not with **** in our cornflakes christmas will always be just fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't do that. I will, however, on occasion tell someone, "Have a mediocre day." :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It's a Christmas tree, and always will be, no matter what your religion or lack thereof.
[Unless it's at Moot's house, where it's a wheel chock with ornaments, lights, & tinsel.]

Seriously, people who are offended by the very word Christmas are just nuts, because it means different things to different people, and most of them are pretty good things, I think.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
It's a Christmas tree inless u are a radical Islamic like Obama I'm all for making peaple of other county fell welcome but when we have to start changing are treditions becouse it makes others unhappy and we have to learn other languages or we are races

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No biggie, the people who have too much time on their hands or have some mental issues are the ones to be complaining the loudest about the most trivial things like the WH tree.

By the way, the tree isn't a tradition in a lot of places, and it isn't just the Muslims who don't have it as a holiday, there are Christians sects that don't celebrate who are also among some other **3403 religions that don't.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I don't outwardly play Scrooge. I remember when I was young and I loved Christmas. As I got older, nieces and nephews became adults, death started visiting my immediate family, the whole gathering and dinner and family time just lost its appeal. I realize alot of people get into it so when THEY wish me a Merry Christmas, I return the greeting with my Oscar-worthy sincerity.

Jeff has nieces and a nephew aged 5-12, so the "grin and bear it" starts again this time of year; for both of us. We have discussed keeping it cheerful for the kiddies because one day, probably at least one of them will lose their interest in the holiday; and like us, we want them to have great memories of when it was fun.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Aw, for crying out loud, I don't celebrate Christmas, But it's a christmas tree and I call it a christmas tree. I also say "Merry Christmas" to people while going thru my day.

You're a devout atheist? No wonder you're so miserable! ;)

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
One of my former in-laws is openly atheist and partakes in Christmas celebrations. He justifies his actions by calling it "Winter Celebration". Personally, I think he just wants presents and cookies.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You're a devout atheist? No wonder you're so miserable! ;)

Never said i am an atheist.

oscar-the-grouch.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One of my former in-laws is openly atheist and partakes in Christmas celebrations. He justifies his actions by calling it "Winter Celebration". Personally, I think he just wants presents and cookies.

Well of course he wants presents and cookies - who doesn't? He doesn't even have to justify partaking, as it WAS a 'Winter Celebration' long before the Christians took it over, adapting the rituals [bringing evergreens indoors, feasting, making a special killer punch for the guests, lol] pagans had engaged in for a long time, and in many places.
The early Christians steamrolled the pagan Spring Festival, too, and called it Easter - but that's ok, no hard feelings. Doesn't matter what it's called, IMO, only matters what's in your heart.
I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter

Well of course he wants presents and cookies - who doesn't? He doesn't even have to justify partaking, as it WAS a 'Winter Celebration' long before the Christians took it over, adapting the rituals [bringing evergreens indoors, feasting, making a special killer punch for the guests, lol] pagans had engaged in for a long time, and in many places.
The early Christians steamrolled the pagan Spring Festival, too, and called it Easter - but that's ok, no hard feelings. Doesn't matter what it's called, IMO, only matters what's in your heart.
I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas.
You know Cheri, I ALMOST went there but I wasn't up to being jumped on by that certain faction. Glad somebody had more kahunas than me to point that out.

Still, no matter what the justification for celebrating the birth of Christ in the off season: Merry Christmas!