iphone

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
While it ticks me off sometimes, I really can't get too mad when I have a dropped call while moving. Considering the number of times the signal gets handed off between cell tower to cell tower while moving, the number of dropped calls is very small.

"The appeal of the iPhone (besides the fact that it's a wicked kewl device) is the relatively cheap cost of the plan which includes cell phone service and unlimited data usage - and a much broader data coverage area than the parking lot of the J or one of their affiliates."

So there's your answer Moot. Yeah, the scheme has merit.

But like DieselDiva said, you might want to talk to as many expediter AT&T customers as you can, cause you're gonna take a coverage and call quality hit compared to Verizon. Compare coverage maps very closely.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
So does my scheme have merit?
I would say yes it does - at least in theory. Since I'm not doing specifically what you ask about I can't give it an unconditional endorsement.

For me the number one reason to go with the iPhone is that I get phone service and internet all for $60 a month. Plus the ability to access the internet with my laptop via the hacked iPhone.
Yup - that's a hard one to pass up. I haven't read the ATT usage agreement but I have seen some mention that doing what you are contemplating (serving up an internet connection to another computer from the iPhone) might be in violation of the ATT user agreement - I suppose they would really prefer to sell ya an Aircard and another data plan - with metered usage :D) ...... but such a restriction would be kinda odd since they used to allow you to use a cellphone with a data plan connected to a laptop via Bluetooth or a USB cable as a modem .....) But I doubt that they would ever be able to know that you are doing it - but something to consider nonetheless .....

In descending order would be the 8 gig iPod, and then the limited mapping capabilities.
The idea has alot of appeal - being a MacHead myself and having some appreciation of the elegance of Apple's technologies it's very tempting (particularly considering that the internet is my primary distraction while I'm out on the road)

Thus far I've been cheap - I'm still using my old Sony Erricsson T616 which has gotta be about 5 years old. I don't own an iPod - never got into wearing a device to listen to music ..... usually in the past if I'm in a position to need a portable music device, I'm doing something that doesn't lend itself to wearing such a thing .... at this point since I'm driving for a living that has changed somewhat. Being able to take my entire music library around on something that doubles as a cellphone, and a mobile internet connection server, and isn't much bigger than a pack of cigs has some appeal.

One thing to consider is coverage - at one point ATT's EDGE, while somewhat slower, had a broader coverage area than Verizon's EV-DO, which is faster - not sure what the current state of affairs is tho' .....

And ATT is rolling out HSDPA as the next step up from EDGE - although the iPhone doesn't yet support it yet (apparently Steve-O did say recently that there will be a 3G capable iPhone) - something to keep in mind when buying a fairly expensive device ....

Are ya gonna be a happy camper if for example Apple releases iPhone 3.0 (or whatever) in a year and the data speeds are double (or more) of what they are now (for maybe less than you paid for your "old" one) ..... things to ponder.

I'd be sorely tempted myself .... but I just bought a new MacBook laptop and momma ain't gonna allow no stinkin' iPhone at this point .... at least not for a little awhile .... ;)

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are ya gonna be a happy camper if for example Apple releases iPhone 3.0 (or whatever) in a year and the data speeds are double (or more) of what they are now (for maybe less than you paid for your "old" one) ..... things to ponder.

;)

That is the problem with computer technology. As soon as you buy the latest and greatest an upgrade is coming down the pike. Rumor has Apple making a change to the iPhone early this summer. Maybe I'll hold off. I could be coming to the end of the line anyway.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Moot,

I just got word from one of my geekazoid friends (the one I mentioned to you previously) .... supposedly there is to be some kind of iPhone announcement within the next few days .... I haven't been able to locate the rumor site where he got that data yet .... but there has been alot of iPhone "buzz" over the last couple of days apparently - some of it having to do with a 3G iPhone due to be released in Q2 2008 (April - June)

There apparently just was a conference call for Wall Street recently where a number of things were mentioned related to the iPhone (although no word of any future products - which is not unusual as they are never officially discussed until they are actually released) Here's a snippet from one of todays articles from the MacRumors site:

"Analyst predictions of a 3G iPhone are nothing new, but a new report points to specific sources knowledgeable about this anticipated update. After meeting with Taiwanese electronics companies Citigroup’s Richard Gardner claims that his sources have confirmed that the 3G iPhone will be released in 2nd Quarter calendar year. If correct, this would pinpoint the release between April-June 2008.

3G is the next generation wireless data that promises much faster speeds over the EDGE technology in existing iPhones. Apple's Steve Jobs has said that existing 3G chipsets drew too much power for them to be used in the original iPhone. Recent advances in wireless chipset technology have reportedly addressed these power consumption issues. Coincidentally, AT&T recently announced that they are expanding their 3G network to nearly 350 U.S. markets by the end of 2008.

Plans for a 3G iPhone have been well publicized, with comments by Steve Jobs and AT&T's CEO suggesting the 3G iPhone is coming in 2008"

gojack

Expert Expediter
A $200 Mogul phone, on Sprints REV A 3G network
On a $30/month (500 Min) unlimited data Sprint Sero plan

This gives me:

Phone
Speaker phone
Real and screen keyboard
Voice speed dial
Bluetooth (Blueparrot headset recommended for drivers)
Internet
Real GPS via Google maps (which also has satellite images)
email
texting
tethered laptop - at high speeds w/PDaNET
There is a hack to make it a mobile wireless hot spot as well
(I like it wired to the laptop, so its charging)
Camera
video camera
tape recorder (IFTA State line odometer readings)
Wi-Fi if you are in a hotspot
Microsoft Word
Calender
Calculator

If it only had that Braun self cleaning razor in it

Friend of mine has a Aircard for AT&T’s network
I sat my old laptop down next to his new one to show him some internet load boards...
His connection was so slow it was painful.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First generation iPhones are near impossible to find, fueling speculation that a new 3G iPhone is near. The Apple Worldwide Developer Conference opens June 9th in San Francisco.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The bewildering array of communication and navigation choices available today leaves me, well, bewildered. At the moment, I am content to wait until the iPhone breaks free of ATT to see what has settled by then. Thoughts bouncing in my mind now include:

1. We do not want to change cell phone providers. Signal strength nationwide and customer service is outstanding. We have been down the ATT and Sprint road before. I would not take either one if they offered their services for free.

2. CoPilot Truck is still a tool we occasionally rely on for truck routes and HAZMAT routing. It has a GPS feature. It runs on a laptop. It is not as safe or convenient to use as a Garmin device might be. Is there a way to blend the truck routes into Garmin? Of the dozens of devices Garmin offers, which is best for truck dashboard use?

3. With Bluetooth, we can seemingly hook most anything to anything, phone to Garmin to laptop to iPod to Blackberry to sattelite radio, to the sound system in the truck; and this to that, and that the other, and the other to more. Throw in Wi-Fi to connect our two laptops to each other or download data via Wi-Fi instead of the air card. My head spins when trying to figure out the optimal way to put it all together.

4. I am reluctant to move toward the all-in-one approach. If you lose or break the device, or if it fails, you have lost a lot all at once.

5. Even trying to make technology decisions based on need is hard. We need to each have a cell phone, we need HAZMAT routing, we need e-mail, we need to sometimes use two computers at once, we need to talk on the phone and use the computer and access the internet at the same time, we need live GPS, we need a music player, we need map displays that can be dimmed for safe nighttime viewing, we need a book reader, we need a voice recorder that can be hooked up to a cell phone and computer, we need voice recognition capability to put into text the words I speak, etc. The problem is functionality overlap across devices. And the functions constantly change. A PDA is now a cell phone is now a navigation device is now an air card, is now a music player, etc. etc. etc. But when functions are combined into one device, the performance does not always follow.

6. Then there is the text messaging thing and keyboarding I have not yet learned. There was a time when I felt darn proud because I could explain why eight-track tapes were called eight-track. While I am not without computer skills, today's chaotic device market is frustrating to say the least.

7. One thing I know for sure is buying technology for the sake of having the latest and greatest is fruitless. Whatever you buy today will be obsolete or vastly improved tomorrow. As long as what you have now works, it is just fine to sit out a generation or two of the next big thing. Whatever people say the next big thing is, it probably isn't.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another component in our technology decisions is something I call the Katrina test.

Our work sometimes takes us to remote areas for routine deliveries and disaster areas for important disaster relief deliveries and/or support. We could easily find ourselves in an area for several days where the cell phone towers have been knocked down or the power to run them has failed.

With a generator-equipped truck, we are our own power source and will be fine as long as we have fuel. But how will our communications and navigation technology work if companies do not have the electrical power or towers to support it?

The Katrina test steers us away from cell phones for navigation. In extreme situations, Qualcomm will keep you in touch with your carrier. Amateur radio, powered by the truck, may be your only way communicate with family and friends if towers and electric are down, or if you are stranded in a truly remote area.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where did you practice your reaction drill for the Katrina test? Did I ever tell you about the time my old friend Jack and I practiced a .......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The bewildering array of communication and navigation choices available today leaves me, well, bewildered. At the moment, I am content to wait until the iPhone breaks free of ATT to see what has settled by then. Thoughts bouncing in my mind now include:

1. We do not want to change cell phone providers. Signal strength nationwide and customer service is outstanding. We have been down the ATT and Sprint road before. I would not take either one if they offered their services for free.

Well Phil I think Moots point is right on in both humor and the object lesson he has provided in both his posts.

You do know that you can take that iPhone and have it unlocked which will allow you to use it on any carrier that uses that type of technology.

2. CoPilot Truck is still a tool we occasionally rely on for truck routes and HAZMAT routing. It has a GPS feature. It runs on a laptop. It is not as safe or convenient to use as a Garmin device might be. Is there a way to blend the truck routes into Garmin? Of the dozens of devices Garmin offers, which is best for truck dashboard use?

Well there is a map you know. We got along with a map for some what a bunch of centuries and they didn’t fail people then.

3. With Bluetooth, we can seemingly hook most anything to anything, phone to Garmin to laptop to iPod to Blackberry to sattelite radio, to the sound system in the truck; and this to that, and that the other, and the other to more. Throw in Wi-Fi to connect our two laptops to each other or download data via Wi-Fi instead of the air card. My head spins when trying to figure out the optimal way to put it all together.

Well I never heard of a Bluetooth ipod, so I don’t know. Wi-Fi is a means to short range communications, while the Aircard used another technology for long distance communications - two different purposes and two completely different things.

4. I am reluctant to move toward the all-in-one approach. If you lose or break the device, or if it fails, you have lost a lot all at once.

I agree with you on this one, unless there is a way to solve complex problems with simple know how, the all inclusive devices are a risk. One thing I learned in disaster recovery training is redundancy and reliability, applying that with multipurpose devices I see the reliability but not the redundancy.

5. Even trying to make technology decisions based on need is hard. We need to each have a cell phone, we need HAZMAT routing, we need e-mail, we need to sometimes use two computers at once, we need to talk on the phone and use the computer and access the internet at the same time, we need live GPS, we need a music player, we need map displays that can be dimmed for safe nighttime viewing, we need a book reader, we need a voice recorder that can be hooked up to a cell phone and computer, we need voice recognition capability to put into text the words I speak, etc. The problem is functionality overlap across devices. And the functions constantly change. A PDA is now a cell phone is now a navigation device is now an air card, is now a music player, etc. etc. etc. But when functions are combined into one device, the performance does not always follow.

I see you point but again there is no need to go on the deep end with all of this, you drive a truck, you don’t do brain surgery so a simple map will work.

6. Then there is the text messaging thing and keyboarding I have not yet learned. There was a time when I felt darn proud because I could explain why eight-track tapes were called eight-track. While I am not without computer skills, today's chaotic device market is frustrating to say the least.

Go for you, figuring out how an eight track player works is an achievement when you take in account that most people at the time were just amazed that the thing could switch tracks without touching it. There is no frustration involved unless you are running a helpdesk out of the sleeper. When you learn the basics, then you can tackle a lot.

7. One thing I know for sure is buying technology for the sake of having the latest and greatest is fruitless. Whatever you buy today will be obsolete or vastly improved tomorrow. As long as what you have now works, it is just fine to sit out a generation or two of the next big thing. Whatever people say the next big thing is, it probably isn't.

I used to say the same thing, but I came to realize that someone has to buy the first of anything so it filters down to us, the phlebs of the world. I know you are not one of us but you know what I am saying. I also think there needs to be a correction, the device is obsolete when the thing gets off the drawing board and into prototyping.

Another component in our technology decisions is something I call the Katrina test.

Yea, ok… sure…. It should be called the ‘what happens when everything fails test’.

Our work sometimes takes us to remote areas for routine deliveries and disaster areas for important disaster relief deliveries and/or support. We could easily find ourselves in an area for several days where the cell phone towers have been knocked down or the power to run them has failed.

With a generator-equipped truck, we are our own power source and will be fine as long as we have fuel. But how will our communications and navigation technology work if companies do not have the electrical power or towers to support it?

Amazing, so does mine. I worked putting together contingency tests and do actual testing and even though your premise has a valid point behind it, I steer people to learn basics and cover things like when you can’t communicate to your family, what means can someone approach to communicate. We take cell phones for granted, but truthfully they have those two factors involved I mentioned - redundancy and reliability.

Here is another thing, we are supposed to be professionals, but I fail to see this when I hear people saying that there is no means to navigate WTSHTF. The basics need to be learned, how to read a map. My personal feelings are if you don’t know how to read a map, maybe you need to work at McDonald’s. It is all about Basics.

The Katrina test steers us away from cell phones for navigation. In extreme situations, Qualcomm will keep you in touch with your carrier. Amateur radio, powered by the truck, may be your only way communicate with family and friends if towers and electric are down, or if you are stranded in a truly remote area.

Katrina is a really odd situation because there was no failed communications but rather a serious problem with allocating resources that were available. I just read a really good article about the DOH and how they are demanding that there is an exclusion of resources like Amateur Radio so to put together a more military centric system that takes the citizen type involvement and their functions out of the picture. So I would expect more problems with large disasters in the future.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new iPhone is due out tomorrow, June 9. I am waiting for more information from my future, geek son-in-law. It appears AT&T will be offering substantial rebates to entice new customers. Haven't heard yet what the going price will be.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I have a love/hate relationship with my iPhone...but I'm a huge fan. So I will try and sell my old one and get a new one...if it really will be available.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I beat it daily. I find that it loves me more. LOL! Okay, I read that the new one will be available in July.

The old one is for sale.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, July 11. The basic phone should cost $199.99 at either an Apple store or AT&T. Plans start at $70.00. The new iphone has 3G technology, plenty of memory, GPS and a corkscrew. I'm planning on buying one. At $70 a month it is cheaper for me than my phone plus aircard charges. So if you have a bottle of wine that needs opening, give me a call after the 11th.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Probably use a cable and USB port. That way my phone will charge while I surf.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Only one question... have the Iphones got a better battery yet??? I looked at the specs back when they came out and the battery life totally sucked. My sanyo unit runs for days without a charge if not used and even when used for a few calls a day it still lasts about a week on a charge. So is the battery part even an issue or does everyone just leave them plugged in charging all the time???
Rob

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me battery charge isn't really an issue. While driving my phone is usually plugged in and charging.