Interesting New Poll Out ...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yes and no. As an identifiable group, they weren't really in business before TARP, which became law in October 2008. The movement began, sort of, throughout the 1990s on the annual Tax Day protests, where by around 2001 some people began mailing tea bags into legislatures and other officials as a tangible protest against unreasonable taxation. But it wasn't organized or even identifiable at that time as a "Tea Party." Lower taxes was the initial theme of the early beginnings, but it wasn't the central theme when the party itself actually began.

Incorrect. Read on to find out why! :)

Some of the ideas that came out of the 2008 presidential primary campaign of Ron Paul added to the tea party's brewing, so to speak.

The very first protests that seized upon the catchy name of "Tea Party" happened in NY State in January 2009, three months after TARP was signed
Not exactly correct (highlighted) ... Wikipedia while a handy thing, is not always quite as complete or in-depth as it might be.

Here's a 1991 article about a "tea party" protest event from the Miami Herald which is representative of what was taking place - the complete article is behind a pay wall, but it's partially quoted in the summary page linked below:

Miami Herald: Search Results

Suffice it to say that coverage by media at the time of these happenings was not as high profile and widespread as what occurred about 20 years later.

There's a lot more to the story, but suffice it to say that the "tea party" isn't actually a party ... it's a grassroots movement ...

The full details of it's actual beginnings have managed to be omitted from what current documented history actually records (at least via Wikipedia)

IOW: It's lost down the memory hole ... having been "disappeared" in the sands of time ...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, it's not EXACTLY and pedantically correct, but in the context of what we now know as the Tea Party, in its current form, it's substantially correct. I was going to mention, and clearly should have, the fact the notion of "tea party" type protests have been around since the late 1700s, Pretty much every new tax throughout the 1800s saw a tea party referenced protest of one kind or another. There were tea bags sent to Congress when the income tax was wasn't repealed when they said it would. There were tea bags sent to Congress when the telephone tax was instituted. There were tea bag protests over the New Deal, the Korean War, and the federal tax on tires, and during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Suffice it to say that just because Wikipedia is a handy reference doesn't necessarily mean it's one's sole reference of information our knowledge of history. The Tea Party in its current iteration was spawned by the Wall Street bailout, not by what happened with tea bags in the early 90s, or the 70s, or the 50s, or the 40s, or the 30s, or the 20s, or the century before that.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Wait, wait......are we talking about the "grassroots" TeaParty that came to prominence around 2008-09 or the "astro-turf" TeaParty of today that has been hijacked by big money corporations and attention hungry *****s like Cruz, Lee, Palin, Trump and the majority of the entertainers on FoxNews?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
No, it's not EXACTLY and pedantically correct, but in the context of what we now know as the Tea Party, in its current form, it's substantially correct.
Yup ... that's I why only highlighted and took issue with two sentences in what I quoted of what you wrote.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There's already a third party, and fourth, fifth, etc.... ( Libertarian, Green, Constitutional, etc). The problem is Dems are all goose stepping off a cliff. The republican party is fractured with the establishment types trying to silence the common sense wing of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. I doubt there would be a consensus of a third party candidate. One merely has to offer a Ted Cruz to lead that party and some on here clamouring for a third party would say no way.
Considering the way Democrats along with their lackeys in the MSM, and also the "well fed" establishment Republicans have been trashing Ted Cruz lately, it's fair to say they all consider him to be a viable threat to their positions of power and influence. Any time a group or an individual steps out of line with the establishment, we start hearing terms like "lunatic", "radical" or "fringe", but notice these adjectives always seem to apply to the political right. When was the last time anyone heard or read about the "radical left"? Maybe it's because the American public chose to elect, then re-elect the most liberal POTUS in the country's history.

With all this in mind it seems appropriate to offer some thoughts from one of the most influential conservative minds in modern American politics:
"Conservatives in this country — at least those who have not made their peace with the New Deal, and there is serious question whether there are others — are non-licensed nonconformists; and this is dangerous business in a Liberal world..."
"Radical conservatives in this country have an interesting time of it, for when they are not being suppressed or mutilated by the Liberals, they are being ignored or humiliated by a great many of those of the well-fed Right, whose ignorance and amorality have never been exaggerated for the same reason that one cannot exaggerate infinity."

"It is the job of centralized government (in peacetime) to protect its citizens’ lives, liberty and property. All other activities of government tend to diminish freedom and hamper progress. The growth of government(the dominant social feature of this century) must be fought relentlessly..."

"The most alarming single danger to the American political system lies in the fact that an identifiable team of Fabian operators is bent on controlling both our major political parties(under the sanction of such fatuous and unreasoned slogans as “national unity,” “middle-of-the-road,” “progressivism,” and “bipartisanship.”) Clever intriguers are reshaping both parties in the image of Babbitt, gone Social-Democrat. When and where this political issue arises, we are, without reservations, on the side of the traditional two-party system that fights its feuds in public and honestly; and we shall advocate the restoration of the two-party system at all costs."

Those prophetic words were written by William F. Buckley in 1955, and the article from which the above quotations are taken is just as timely today as it was then.

Our Mission Statement | National Review Online

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle: the origins of the Tea Party may be up for debate, as well as their central theme, because there are many very loosely affiliated groups claiming the moniker: grass roots, Astroturf, Koch lackies, [oooh - I should have said minions, lol] and others even less identifiable.
Still, as Wiki notes, the typical member is: white, male, married, over 45, attends religious services regularly, conservative, well educated, and more wealthy [relatively] than not.
IOW, what an author whose name I can't recall describes as WM squared: White Men With Money. And those WM suared who are part of Wall Street and the banking/financial services industries put their money into R campaign chests at about 2 to 1 vs the D campaigns. So the 'myth' of R wanting [or helping] the rich get richer has some legs, too.
Which is not to say the Dems are selfless or altruistic, they're as corrupt as they come - the difference is that they enrich themselves without taking from the less advantaged. Or at least not obviously doing it, their style is more kickbacks and sweetheart deals than writing legislation that helps other WM squared to profit at the expense of the poor and middle class.
I don't understand how the ACA was "rammed down" our throats, when it's been in play for more than 3 years, and the dissenters have tried 40 [41?] times to scrap it, and even the SC ruled it's not unconstitutional. I totally agree that it's the wrong approach to reducing health care costs, but the R side couldn't or didn't come up with anything better, did they? So we're stuck with it.

And the reason I mentioned abortion is because it's such a clear example of being unable to accept that the conservative belief on the subject is not what their constituents want, they don't giveadam about what their constituents want, they are controlled by the wingnuts who want abortion outlawed. If the SC won't give it to them, and the people won't vote for it, they'll find a way to get it anyhow, and that's what they did, starting in 2008 with the new R takeover. Since then, 24 states have passed new legislation that severely limits and restricts access to abortion, because a minority of lawmakers wanted it, no matter what the rest of the country wants. They think they should have it because they want it. No discussion, debate, hearings, just pass the new laws. I don't see how that's a red herring, when it's such a clear example of "I should have it because I want it" legislation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle: the origins of the Tea Party may be up for debate, as well as their central theme, because there are many very loosely affiliated groups claiming the moniker: grass roots, Astroturf, Koch lackies, [oooh - I should have said minions, lol] and others even less identifiable.
There's no question that the movement was hijacked by those who found it advantageous to do so.

Still, as Wiki notes, the typical member is: white, male, married, over 45, attends religious services regularly, conservative, well educated, and more wealthy [relatively] than not.
IOW, what an author whose name I can't recall describes as WM squared: White Men With Money.
IOW, people with real jobs?

Actually, two paragraphs down you'll find: "polls suggest that tea party activists are not only more mainstream than many critics suggest, but that a majority of them are women, not angry white men."

And the next paragraph states: "A Gallup poll conducted in March 2010 found that—other than gender, income and politics—self-described Tea Party members were demographically similar to the population as a whole."

And those WM suared who are part of Wall Street and the banking/financial services industries put their money into R campaign chests at about 2 to 1 vs the D campaigns. So the 'myth' of R wanting [or helping] the rich get richer has some legs, too.
WM Squared knows no political party other than the Money Party. Stop and think about why it takes twice as much money for Republicans to get on board as it does Democrats. It's because the Republican core philosophy regarding economics is an unfettered free market, and it takes more money to have them set aside their core beliefs. Democrats don't believe in free markets in the first place, they take less convincing, so they are more easily bought.

Which is not to say the Dems are selfless or altruistic, they're as corrupt as they come - the difference is that they enrich themselves without taking from the less advantaged. Or at least not obviously doing it, their style is more kickbacks and sweetheart deals than writing legislation that helps other WM squared to profit at the expense of the poor and middle class.
Barney Frank, Democrat, authored the legislation that made the Wall Street financial crisis possible (didn't cause it, but made it possible). It was legislation that blatantly helped WM Squared profit at the expense of the poor and middle class. The ACA is another whopper of an example where the WM Squared (finance, health care and insurance) are the only ones to truly benefit from the legislation. These are but two clear and obvious examples, but Congressional legislation is slathered with examples of blatant legislation, authored and sponsored by Democrats, that directly benefits WM Squared. It's not because they are Democrats, it's because they, too, are WM Squared, bought and paid for by the money men.

Who do you think are wealthier in Congress, Democrats or Republicans? The answer is one you won't like. It's Democrats, by a landslide. Occupy Wall Stree's rallying cry is "We are the 99%" Well, did you know that 57 members of Congress make up part of that 1%? Eleven percent of Congress rakes in more than $9 million annually. The median net worth (2010) among members of the Senate Democrats was $2.58 million. Senate Republican median net worth was $2.43 million. And, the wealthy Democrats tend to inherit their money. Republicans tend to earn it. That's disappointing for many die hard liberals to stomach, I'm sure.

Seven of the ten wealthiest members of Congress are, ta-da, Democrats.

Between 2004 and 2010 Nancy Pelosi alone got $60 million richer (and she didn't even make the Top Ten - she's 12th on the list with a net worth of $35.2 million). Democratic Rep. Dennis Cardoza of California helped pass legislation that gives huge tax breaks to racehorse owners, who, you know, tend to be rich, so they can get richer, and as soon as that legislation went into effect he promptly bought seven racehorses. Democratic Rep. John Yarmuth of Kentucky sponsored legislation that would benefit his brother’s home health care company. Yarmuth holds up to $5 million in company shares, and reports no annual income. But of course, it's not just Democrats who play the Money Men game. Republican Rep. Mike Kelly of Pennsylvania has worked to benefit the natural gas industry — while he and his wife made up to $50.2 million in the sale of her great-great-grandfather’s natural gas companies to Exxon Mobil.

Congress has 250 millionaires. The median net worth: $891,506, almost nine times the typical household. Since 2004, the median net worth for members of Congress has risen 15 percent. Between 2007 and 2010, median net worth for the average American family dropped 39 percent. During that same period, the richest one-third of Congress got 24 percent richer. It's not about Democrats or Republicans, it's about Money. And most of that money came at the expense of the middle class and the poor. That's the only place it can come from, because the rich don't get richer by giving it up.

I strongly encourage you to dismiss all the talking points, the rhetoric, the us versus them, and take an honest look at what's really going on. There is no, "but at least they..." Neither side can be excused, or have excuses made for them. They're both corrupt, and in exactly the same ways.

I don't understand how the ACA was "rammed down" our throats, when it's been in play for more than 3 years, and the dissenters have tried 40 [41?] times to scrap it, and even the SC ruled it's not unconstitutional.
Your first misconception is that it's been "in play" for three years. It's never been in play. With an overwhelming majority in the House and the Senate, the Democrats said bluntly, in effect, "this is what we're going to do, and there's nothing you can do about it." And they did precisely that. They also said, "The American people want this," despite 58% of Americans flatly stating they didn't want it, and 21 percent saying that it needed more bipartisan support for it. That's 79% of Americans who had it rammed down their throats against their wishes. The Congress can do things like that when they have super majorities, especially when the President is also backing and/or calling the shots. If put to a popular vote, especially using the Constitutional Amendment process for such an important and all-encompassing legislation that affects every single American, it never would have passed. The dissenters have tried many times to reverse or mitigate it, but as long as the Democrats have control over congress, the dissenters are little more than minor annoyances that won't be bothered with.

I totally agree that it's the wrong approach to reducing health care costs, but the R side couldn't or didn't come up with anything better, did they? So we're stuck with it.
Actually the R side did, but Harry Reid wouldn't even let them debate the alternatives on the floor. They refused to even listen to the R side.

The Affordable Health Care for America Act, H.R. 3962, was introduced in the House of Representatives on October 29, 2009, and referred to several Committees for consideration. Nine Days Later on November 7, 2009 the Bill was passed. That's pretty quick for a bill containing a gazillion pages that no one read. However, it took 6 more months for final passage, because several things were found in there to be illegal and beyond the jurisdiction of the Health Committee (like modifying existing taxes and expanding Medicare), and because they had to keep dealing with those pesky Republicans who wanted to attach amendments to the bill. But the biggest reason for the delay was the infighting amongst Democrats over whether or not there should even be a public option for health insurance, instead of making it purely a governmental endeavor. Enter lobby money from the health insurance industry. Viola!

The best the Republicans could hope for during all of this is to delay it with a filibuster. But the Democrats, once they satisfied the desires of the lobby money, garnered more than enough votes to squash even a filibuster.

And the reason I mentioned abortion is because it's such a clear example of being unable to accept that the conservative belief on the subject is not what their constituents want, they don't giveadam about what their constituents want, they are controlled by the wingnuts who want abortion outlawed. If the SC won't give it to them, and the people won't vote for it, they'll find a way to get it anyhow, and that's what they did, starting in 2008 with the new R takeover. Since then, 24 states have passed new legislation that severely limits and restricts access to abortion, because a minority of lawmakers wanted it, no matter what the rest of the country wants. They think they should have it because they want it. No discussion, debate, hearings, just pass the new laws. I don't see how that's a red herring, when it's such a clear example of "I should have it because I want it" legislation.
I suppose it could looked at that way, but abortion legislation isn't so much of a "I should have it because I want it" thing as it is a morally superior thing. Liberals stomp and throw tantrums over stuff they want that tends to benefit them directly, while right wing religious wackos just want to force their version of morality onto everyone else, to tell people what to do, what not to do, and how to think. The biggest difference, though, and the reason it's a red herring, is because you're using an exception to prove the rule, as the right wing religious wackos don't represent the whole of the conservative Republicans in how the Republicans go about their business, whereas the "I want it therefore you should give it to me" permeates the whole of the liberal Democrats' modus operandi.

The fact that rich Republicans generally earn their money, and rich Democrats generally have their money given to them, should give a pretty good indication of the differences in the mindset and how each goes about their business.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
And, the wealthy Democrats tend to inherit their money. Republicans tend to earn it. That's disappointing for many die hard liberals to stomach, I'm sure.

The fact that rich Republicans generally earn their money, and rich Democrats generally have their money given to them, should give a pretty good indication of the differences in the mindset and how each goes about their business.

You mentioned, "Republicans earn their money and Democrats have money given to them" twice in your post. I am curious on how you have come to this conclusion.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Almost too much information Turtle. You are going to turn Cheri in to a Tea Party member. :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You mentioned, "Republicans earn their money and Democrats have money given to them" twice in your post. I am curious on how you have come to this conclusion.
I came to that conclusion because no other conclusion can be reached, as it's an actual fact.

An equally curious wondering is why you concluded it was proper to omit the very important qualifiers of "tend to" and "generally" with respect to earn and given. There are exceptions to everything, and this topic is no different, but your rephrased quote is all encompassing and leaves no room for the exceptions. I don't really appreciate my words being misquoted, particularly when it changes what I said. I'm left to conclude that you did it intentionally for the purposes of a confrontation, or sloppily because you're one of the die hard liberals who has trouble stomaching the facts, or failed comprehend what I wrote. Whatever the case, I suggest you reevaluate the cause.

The Center for Responsive Politics did an analysis of the financial statements filed by members of Congress for 2010 income and net worth. The analysis not only shows the assets and liabilities, and in which companies they invest their money and how much, but where their money came from. These aren't wild-haired conclusions based on a political bent, these are the hard numbers provided by the members themselves.

Senators John Kerry (D-MA), Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) all came by their fortunes through marriage or inheritance, for example.

Senator Kerry, who was born into wealth, has listed his net worth as high as $281 million, while his wife Teresa Heinz Ketchup is estimated to be worth $1 billion. She inherited the money from her late husband Senator John Heinz Ketchup, who died in an airplane crash.

Senator Rockefeller, representing dirt poor West Virginia, inherited his fortune from his family. He is reported to be worth $136 million.

While the economy continued to tank in 2010, Rep. Pelosi reported her own wealth to grow by 62%. Pelosi’s husband, Paul, is a financier. They own a multi-million dollar vineyard and a number of million dollar homes. They have a net worth of $196 million. Paul also owns lots of stock in Apple and other companies, and owns a chunk of two football teams.

Former Democrat Rep. Jane Harmon (D-CA), who in 2010 was listed as the third wealthiest member of Congress, was married to the late stereo magnate Sidney Harman of Harman-Karmen fame. Together they were worth $493 million.

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX) is the only Republican who married into major money. His net worth went from $12 million to $502 million in two years. He married an heiress to the Clear Channel radio empire.

Among those who actually got their money by earning it, Republicans were in the majority. For example, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), a self-made millionaire earned his wealth by creating the Viper car security system. He is estimated to be worth more than $700 million. Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho) started as a rancher and attorney. His wealth is cited as $88 million. Rep. Vernon Buchanan (R-FL), one of only three Republicans to make the top ten earned his money through real estate and car dealerships. He is estimated to be worth over $323 million.

When you put the earners on one side and the given-to-thems on the other side, it's right there staring you in the face. But there are, of course, exceptions on both sides.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"People with real jobs"?

I have a real job - there must be more to it than that. :rolleyes:

PS Please explain how Frank's legislation helped cause the financial meltdown - it was supposed to place more regulatory power over the banks & Wall St firms, wasn't it? I know it didn't go far enough, but it was a step in the right direction: limiting debit card fees and creating new oversight on consumer affairs, eliminating and combining many agencies to provide more effective oversight, blablabla...
There is much in what you say that I'd characterize differently, but there's a lot to think about too.
FWIW: I don't find the Democrats any more appealing [in general] than the Republicans. As you say, they're all in it for themselves. And their friends. And families. And former coworkers, etc.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Buckley was very sharp, moreso than about any other knife in the drawer.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Buckley was very sharp, moreso than about any other knife in the drawer.
Except for the fact that he was apparently enough of a tool to wind up as the lackey of (future Watergate plumber and criminal) E. Howard Hunt while he was in the CIA. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
PS Please explain how Frank's legislation helped cause the financial meltdown - it was supposed to place more regulatory power over the banks & Wall St firms, wasn't it? I know it didn't go far enough, but it was a step in the right direction: limiting debit card fees and creating new oversight on consumer affairs, eliminating and combining many agencies to provide more effective oversight, blablabla...
Well, blablabla notwithstanding, it gets a little tiresome having to give a course in recent history every time one of these discussions arises. The legislation of which you speak, the Frank-Dodd legislation, had nothing whatsoever to do with the financial meltdown - it was legislation in response to the meltdown. As the article from Dave's link notes, "Capitalizing on the fervor after the 2008 financial crisis, Dodd-Frank purported to promote financial stability, accountability, and transparency." Of course it simply made things worse, as the article points out, but the Frank-Dodd legislation didn't have anything to do with what happened before it.

The roots of this crisis go back to the Carter administration. That was when government officials, egged on by left-wing activists, began accusing mortgage lenders of racism and "redlining" because urban blacks were being denied mortgages at a higher rate than suburban whites.

The pressure from liberals to make more loans to minorities (i.e., to borrowers with weak credit histories) became relentless. Congress passed the Community Reinvestment Act, led by Frank, empowering regulators to punish banks that failed to "meet the credit needs" of "low-income, minority, and distressed neighborhoods." Lenders responded by loosening their underwriting standards and making increasingly shoddy loans. The two government-chartered mortgage finance firms, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, both with Barney Frank as their overseer, encouraged this "subprime" lending by authorizing ever more "flexible" criteria by which high-risk borrowers could be qualified for home loans, and then buying up the questionable mortgages that ensued.

All this was justified as a means of increasing home ownership among minorities and the poor, because it feels good to say that. Affirmative-action policies trumped sound business practices. A manual issued by the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston advised mortgage lenders to disregard financial common sense. "Lack of credit history should not be seen as a negative factor," the Federal guidelines authored primarily by Frank instructed. Lenders were directed to accept welfare payments and unemployment benefits as "valid income sources" to qualify for a mortgage. Failure to comply could mean a lawsuit.

The much-maligned Bush Administration recognized the Fannie-Freddie problem early on. Slowly, relentlessly, from the 1980s on, mostly Democrat-controlled Congresses pushed both quasi-governmental entities to prod banks into ever more liberal loan policies that would allow less and less qualified loan applicants to obtain mortgages and—often for the first time—purchase housing, regardless of whether they were financially able to carry their mortgages.

The problem became acute in the early 2000s as lower and lower down payments and “liar loans” that required little if any substantiating documentation became the norm. The Bush Administration, along with eventual GOP presidential candidate John McCain, tried to put an end to these practices, but to no avail. Barney Frank, the Democrats, and a surprising number of incredibly stupid Republicans steadfastly opposed legislation geared toward heading off the already-gathering fiscal storm. They did this mainly because the guy in charge of Fannie and Freddie, Barney Frank, in fine Baghdad Bob fashion, kept insisting that they were sound and that there was no housing bubble.

In 2003 following a Bush Administration proposal for a new agency charged with the financial oversight of both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (a proposal that was defeated and in later years was resurrected and renamed the Frank-Dodd legislation, ironically), Barney Frank, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, said frankly, "These two entities, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are not facing any kind of financial crisis. The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.”

In 2003, he called Fannie and Freddie ‘fundamentally sound financially’ and accused the Bush Administration of trying to “exaggerate a threat of safety… [to] conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see.

A year later, he said talk of financial problems at Fannie and Freddie were, "an artificial issue created by the administration…I don’t think we are in any remote danger here."

In 2007, as Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee and just as Fannie and Freddie – overleveraged and stuffed to the gills with risky mortgages they’d encouraged and facilitated – were about to go over the cliff, Mr. Frank attacked President George Bush's call for reform as "inane" and "unnecessary."

Yet, when Fannie and Freddie went belly up in the fall of 2008, Mr. Frank voted for the same Bush Administration reforms that could have averted the bankruptcies of Fannie and Freddie, and took credit for it as the Frank-Dodd legislation.

The truth is, for decades, both Fannie and Freddie were used at least in part as slush funds to help fund the political campaigns of Democrats, much in the way that mandatory public employee union dues are used to provide the same functionality.

Employing loyal Democrats throughout their upper echelons (those Angry White Men you are so fond of), both Freddie and Fannie, being technically quasi-public corporations, “donated” hundreds of millions of dollars to mostly leftist Democrat advocacy groups of the ilk of ACORN and others to fund get-out-the-vote efforts (and heaven knows what else) often in major American cities. In other words, both organizations, supported in large part by the American taxpayer, thanks to some very crafty legislation that allowed it, were in many ways re-purposed to stir those taxpayer dollars to one political party only.

Barney Frank was, for years, the master of these fiscal revels.

So much for the notion that the Democrats only "enrich themselves without taking from the less advantaged. Or at least not obviously doing it, their style is more kickbacks and sweetheart deals than writing legislation that helps other WM squared to profit at the expense of the poor and middle class."

And it will continue. Frank, of course, didn't do all this by himself. He's left Congress in the wake of this mess, but the next ranking Democrat in the House Financial Services Committee is Maxine Waters, an unrepentant redistributionist to the core, she’s the last person on earth to be interested in wrapping up her party’s continuing interest in tapping taxpayer cash flows to Fannie and Freddie, the better to help her party and its big business and banking friends on Wall Street. The WM squared ain't even all that white. Fannie and Freddie is and will continue to have strong Democratic allies with her as the ranking Democrat on the committee. Waters has long resisted efforts to reform the mortgage finance giants, and was a real PITA to those who have tried. Part of that is, of course, because Waters herself is the subject of a so-far rather hushed probe into some shady banking maneuvers during the recent fiscal debacle, but the smoke is there with her dealings.

But here's the WM Squared kicker, Barney Frank, thanks to his legislation that allowed all this, and him being the Chariman of the House Financial Services Committee, and the author of the Frank-Dodd legislation in response to the meltdown, he was directly overseeing and in charge of patrolling the executive bonuses to AIG and other giants bailed out with $700 billion in taxpayer funds.

In 2009 he gave a speech at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government, and during a question and answer period he was asked by a student, "How much responsibility, if any, do you as the chairman of the the House Financial Services Committee felt for the global economic meltdown.?"

He became incensed, dismissed the question as "a right-wing attack," and challenged the student to make clear what else a Democratic congressman from Massachusetts might have done to prevent the crisis. The student suggested that Frank could have ceased insisting that Freddie and Fannie were not in trouble when they clearly were, and that he could have done more to prevent the massive bonuses of the CEOs of the corporations who were bailed out.

"The private sector got us into this mess. The government has to get us out of it." That's Barney Frank's story, and he's sticking to it. He maintains the financial crisis is the spawn of the free market run amok, with the political class guilty only of failing to rein the capitalists in. The Wall Street meltdown was caused by "bad decisions that were made by people in the private sector," Frank said; the country is in dire straits today "thanks to a conservative philosophy that says the market knows best." And that philosophy goes "back to Ronald Reagan, when at his inauguration he said, 'Government is not the answer to our problems; government is the problem.' "

How rich. You know, I'd say something like, "Ya just can't make it up," but Barney Frank actually did.

FWIW: I don't find the Democrats any more appealing [in general] than the Republicans. As you say, they're all in it for themselves. And their friends. And families. And former coworkers, etc.
Hopefully, after this course in Recent History 101, you'll find the Democrats even less appealing, and you won't be as quick to blame the Republicans for things they really aren't even responsible for, and you'll have a better understanding of exactly who these mysterious WM Squared people actually are. And, you won't be as quick to believe people like Barney Frank liberals when they blame everything that's bad on Republicans and the conservative philosophy and those evil capitalists and evil corporations and those uber evil CEOs. Now you know why not one of the Wall Street types who were neck deep in all this has been prosecuted under this Democratic administration.