Independent Reviews Of CDL Training Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camper

Not a Member
Given the heated discussion in a previous thread regarding Swift's CDL Program, I'm of the opinion that a dedicated link with first hand, objective reviews would be in the best interest of any newbie who considers their program.

As someone who got CDL training elsewhere, my only account of their program is second hand accounts from others who have gone through their program, some bad, some good, some indifferent.

I think any perspective and insight from those who have actual first hand knowledge with Swift would be most helpful in presenting a more balanced review for anyone who is looking to get into the business via a company sponsored training program.

Perhaps a compilation of links to third party reviews, good, bad, and ugly such as the one below would be most appropriate.

Free Truck Driving Schools | Swift Transportation | Free CDL License Training

One suggestion I have to the administrators is the creation of a sticky post for any and all reviews of training programs. Such a source would provide a much welcome alternative to the bar room stories from those with no actual experience/knowledge of the program(s) in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Given the heated discussion in a previous thread regarding Swift's CDL Program, I'm of the opinion that a dedicated link with first hand, objective reviews would be in the best interest of any newbie who considers their program.

As someone who got CDL training elsewhere, my only account of their program is second hand accounts from others who have gone through their program, some bad, some good, some indifferent.

I think any perspective and insight from those who have actual first hand knowledge with Swift would be most helpful in presenting a more balanced review for anyone who is looking to get into the business via a company sponsored training program.

Perhaps a compilation of links to third party reviews, good, bad, and ugly such as the one below would be most appropriate.

Free Truck Driving Schools | Swift Transportation | Free CDL License Training

One suggestion I have to the administrators is the creation of a sticky post for any and all reviews of training programs. Such a source would provide a much welcome alternative to the bar room stories from those with no actual experience/knowledge of the program(s) in question.

My opinion would be a big NO....why? First and foremost this is an Expedite site...not an OTR site....and most that have an interest in expediting come from an OTR background and have the CDL....the rest is a miniscule portion....

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member
My opinion would be a big NO....why? First and foremost this is an Expedite site...not an OTR site....and most that have an interest in expediting come from an OTR background and have the CDL....the rest is a miniscule portion....

The fact that Swift is an OTR company occurred to me but the issue at play is the availability of CDL training programs for which a fair amount of newbies on this forum have a need for.

Rather than rely on the He said, She said feedback by those who don't have a clue what they're talking about, a thread for independent reviews would b e most appropriate, IMHO. It doesn't have to be exclusive to Swift. Just saying..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fact that Swift is an OTR company occurred to me but the issue at play is the availability of CDL training programs for which a fair amount of newbies on this forum have a need for.

Rather than rely on the He said, She said feedback by those who don't have a clue what they're talking about, a thread for independent reviews would b e most appropriate, IMHO. It doesn't have to be exclusive to Swift. Just saying..

Ok..now I see your point....

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
This has nothing to do with EXPEDITING..if a person whats to get into this business and figures out the need a CDL to do it, I don't think for the mst part they are going to loo to a OTR company fr the training that is going to require them to stay with said carrier for up to 2 yrs...

The only purpose of this thread is to continue the bs from the other thread....

Admin, this nees to be removed...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This has nothing to do with EXPEDITING..if a person whats to get into this business and figures out the need a CDL to do it, I don't think for the mst part they are going to loo to a OTR company fr the training that is going to require them to stay with said carrier for up to 2 yrs...

It should have been titled
Independent Reviews Of CDL Training Programs...
but I'll let it go until the BS of the last thread emerges...

Now how about just plain training courses NOT associated to any OTR carriers....?

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member

If that's the case than there wouldn't have been a discussion in this forum regarding training programs at OTR companies. Since the two industries overlap each other in some ways, one can argue it has a place here.

Camper

Not a Member
It should have been titled
Independent Reviews Of CDL Training Programs...
but I'll let it go until the BS of the last thread emerges...

Now how about just plain training courses NOT associated to any OTR carriers....?

I agree..My bad...Unfortunately, there's no edit function for the title field.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The inclusion of "A PARTICUILAR" company and no other is the issue...it was brought here to continue the bs...and again, what are the chances of a newbie that wants to get into EXPEDITING, then going to a OTR company for training and giving them up to 2 yrs of them time all the while wanting to get into EXPEDITING?!?

The thread neds to be removed. If the OP wants to bring it back with GENERAL info about getting a CDL, fine, but not with the inclusion of just one company at the exclusion of all others....

The reason for this is very obvisous....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The inclusion of "A PARTICUILAR" company and no other is the issue...it was brought here to continue the bs...and again, what are the chances of a newbie that wants to get into EXPEDITING, then going to a OTR company for training and giving them up to 2 yrs of them time all the while wanting to get into EXPEDITING?!?

The thread neds to be removed. If the OP wants to bring it back with GENERAL info about getting a CDL, fine, but not with the inclusion of just one company at the exclusion of all others....

The reason for this is very obvisous....

Point taken Chef....as I said....we'll see how it goes...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what INDEPENDENT source NOT including OTR schools did people attend...or self taught or spouse or relative/friend?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Below is an excerpt from a 2008 thread about a national truck strike. It has nothing to do with CDL training but it does mention Swift, Wal-Mart President Bush, a tire with wings and truck driving schools all in the same paragraph. Also it makes about as much sense as arguing the merits of different driving schools.

With no Chinese imports Wal-Mart will be forced into bankruptcy. All Wal-Mart stores will close and millions will be laid off. President Bush will call off the federal investigation of Swift Transportation and its affiliate truck driving schools. Congress will give Swift a $1.2 billion grant to open truck driving schools across the nation and offer free training to all displaced Wal-Mart workers. Swift will be so impressed with the loyalty and work ethic of their new "associates" that not only will they be allowed to wear their little blue vests, it will become part of the company uniform for all Swift drivers. The little yellow smiley emblem will be replaced by a tire with wings.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/30676-truck-strike-rumor-fyi.html

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
25.gif

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The fact that some Companies require a CDL and some don't doesn't change the fact Expedite is Over the Road driving 90% of the time. It's not a dedicated run that's all. It's certainly not local courier work on a regular basis..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what INDEPENDENT source NOT including OTR schools did people attend...or self taught or spouse or relative/friend?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't see the reason to delete anything, I mean we can't even move threads to the right place to begin with and the OP is bringing up a legit question and trying not to get all the BS involved.

As Bill said, some companies require a cdl while others don't and if one looks really really hard at some of the comments and claims made, they will find that it isn't about the quality of training that matters but the quality of the student being trained.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see the reason to delete anything, I mean we can't even move threads to the right place to begin with and the OP is bringing up a legit question and trying not to get all the BS involved.

As Bill said, some companies require a cdl while others don't and if one looks really really hard at some of the comments and claims made, they will find that it isn't about the quality of training that matters but the quality of the student being trained.

Thank you Greg....yes some students shouldn't be behind of the wheel....maybe attitude testing should be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.