In need of some guidance

sherelynn

Seasoned Expediter
I work for Flying J in Financial Services. After talking to drivers for nearly 2 years, I've about decided I want to go on the road. Heck, I'm nearly 58 years old, a grandmother of 6, not married and ready for a change. I've already ruled out the CDL thing...it's just not me. BUT...after talking to numerous expeditors, I'm leaning in that direction. It's been suggested that I start as a company driver for a while to see if I like it. And, seriously, with gas prices being where they are and no end in site, it would be foolish to start out as an owner/operator.

I have grandchildren on both coasts and family scattered hither and yon...I thought it would be a great way to see my other granddaughters more often and even thought if I could get on with a company that allows passengers (I want to go solo), my grandchildren could ride with me...ONE AT A TIME...and get some quality "grandma" time.

The drivers I've spoken with specifically about money tell me they are pulling in nearly $4K/mo. 'Course, I also see the drivers sitting in the Driver's Lounge for days on end, waiting for a load out. Decisions, decisions! I need help!!! Anyone got any suggestions or helpful hints?

Sherelynn

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Send a message to Cheri she is a solo driver that participates in the forums. Not many companies do well with solos and most owner operators want teams. Do not give up though if this is something you really want to do. Keep asking questions, learning and preparing for this new way of living. We have found we are able to see our kids more often as we pass through their towns. If we had normal jobs we would have to plan vacation time.

sherelynn

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks. Actually, Cheri responded on another thread that I posted something on. She seems pretty cool. I will definitely send her an e-mail. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been looking at the classifieds and, you're right...there doesn't appear to be anything for solo drivers and yet, I see them in my plaza all the time. I called a recruiter at Tri-State yesterday and haven't heard back. A couple of expeditors that were in the plaza gave me his business card and suggested I call. I'm doing a lot of praying about it and feel if it's what I'm supposed to do, God will make a way!:)

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hi Shere, In another post of yours I responded to tell you to check out the free classifieds on this site for drivers wanted, I don't know if you did or not but in there is a company looking for a solo driver for a straight truck out of Rock Hill SC. It was dated 5-23-08. I don't know if they're still looking for a driver but a quick call to them would let you know!

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

sherelynn

Seasoned Expediter
Hey FR8 Shaker. I did look at the classifieds last night after I read your post. I don't/didn't see anything for solo company drivers. Everything I saw was for owner/operator. I've called a recruiter for Tri-State with no response and I e-mailed my appl to Landstar, also with no response. I know Landstar has expeditors with some Fleet Owners. I think in nearly 2 years, I've only spoken with 2 Landstar drivers that weren't happy. The turn-over with them is incredibly low, which says a lot.

I also noticed there are a lot of "want to be" drivers out there just like me and all of them looking for companies that will give them a chance.

I'll look up the one that you mentioned and give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the potential lead.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Hey Sherrilynn, don't give up.
Wait for a reply from Cheri as she will be THE most help. She gets busy and may not reply right away but give her some time. Her advice is so valuable and she will be honest with you. Even though many of us have driven for companies for a long time, we won't have the specific information you need since we are not solo or we don't have owners to deal with. Hope it all works out for you. It sounds like you are in a great position for this. One thing that would help, I think, is to contact a driving school in your area to see about getting your CDL so you will have that in hand when you get started.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you, India & Linder, for the vote of confidence. :) I sent a PM, but forgot to address one point that Sherelyn brought up: passengers. Many carriers don't allow passengers, due to insurance rules, and those that do, often require a rider on your insurance, plus specific permission from the truck owner, and they limit the ages permitted, as well.
Don't give up, but do find out the rules, before bringing a passenger onboard, so it doesn't come back to bite you, later.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I noticed you said no CDL . That just leaves a cargo van . It has been pretty much agreed here a cargo van will not provide sufficient revenue for both an owner and driver . Reconsider the CDL thing though . The C units aren't really that bad and having a sleeper is much more comfortable than trying to live in a cargo van .

sherelynn

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks all for the responses. Let me see if I can get all in one reply.

Seems like God is always there to answer a need, especially if you ask! I got to work this morning and there was a Landstar expeditor fleet owner there. I got an opportunity to have an in-depth conversation with him and found out I have to have a CDL even for a cargo van. He gave me some extremely useful information and even tried to hook me up with a fellow expeditor with another company. He would be interested in bringing me on an a solo driver, but Landstar requires 6 mo. driving experience. He did find out I could bring my grandchildren, one at a time, with me with a rider on the policy. He called his friend and his friend is willing to put me on. I need to get my CDL first and finish praying about all of it. Just seems like God put this person in my lap because everything worked out so well. His friend is a Christian and even has the same church denomination affiliation as me.

I wish I could disclose more of what we talked about to get everyone's input. But, my location is on this and you all know I work for FJ, wouldn't be hard to find me! And, he did ask me to keep it between us.

Hey, I hope you all look me up in my plaza (assuming I don't leave) if you are ever there. I'm not too hard to find, across from the ATM, and I'm there M-F, 9-5:30!

sherelynn

Seasoned Expediter
Crazynuff...What is a C truck? I don't want to drive an 18 wheeler, but I wouldn't mind a straight truck. There is a cargo van listed in the classifieds here that looks pretty cool, comes with a sleeper, frig, micro, etc. Not that I want to buy one outright, at least not until I get my feet wet and decide for certain I'm going to stick with it. But, it looked pretty good.

The fleet owner I talked to said he would split the load 65/35 (includes fuel surcharge) with me getting the bigger cut. He takes care of maintenence and insurance, I take care of everything else, including getting my loads and paying for my own fuel. And I would be a 1099. I haven't talked to the owner with the other company he was referring me to in order to get my 6 mo. experience. But, I do have another question. He said I have to have a CDL, Class B even to drive a cargo van. Yes or No?

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
[ I got an opportunity to have an in-depth conversation with him and found out I have to have a CDL even for a cargo van.

All carriers does not require CDL with a cargo van

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
carriers who haul hazmat require a cdl. bolt does not haul hazmat and does not require a cdl. some carriers i think look at drivers as being in a profession and the cdl is the item that shows you want to be a professional.

there are degrees of cdl. the a cdl puts you in semis. the b puts you in strt trucks or vans. a c is for any vehicle under 10,000 lbs that can haul frt. a cargo van qualifies. there is a hazmat written test and a driving test but no loading placarding test.

many strt trucks have sleepers and fridges and microwaves. keep looking at the classifieds and read a whole bunch here. go back a year and see what folks say about certain makes of trucks. the debate between van and strt. the debate between van and sprinter. the debate about debating. i talked to one woman who thought her sprinter was a great vehicle for her and her little dog. there are lots of choices. use the enthusiasm to research. make lists of things you think you want and work from those.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Sherelyn, I started driving exp. 5 years ago for a fleet op. w/one of the big companies. He wanted teams and put me together w/another woman. That worked for a while. I do better on my own and have moved from the point of being a fleet driver to o/o, solo driver with the best co-driver out here (apologies to Molly, but Dingle doesn't bark). It is possible to get a class b cdl w/o going to a driving school. There are study book & tape combos available at the Library. Then rent a truck from Penske (w/air brakes) to practice driving. Good Luck, feel free to get in touch w/me.

theBeemer

Not a Member
You seem like a nice, honest person...Get your class B. Solos don't make much but it can't be any worse then a van. Besides you can always use your class B for other things if it doesn't work out.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Now gotta go you have a comment that is not correct Molly does not bark and I have wondered if she has a voice or is possibly too lazy to bark! I will admit though that Dingle the cat is much better dressed then Molly has ever been. He is a sight to behold in his outfits!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Judging by the expression on Molly's face in the photo, if she were going to bark, that'd be the time: at that very weird dog, without the half that wags....:D