In case of a crash

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Following info may help you secure the downtime payment due you after a equipment disabling crash.
Background: On 22 Aug 2004 we had a truck north bound on I55 in W Memphis, AR that was rear ended in a construction zone. The truck was loaded with equipment for delivery to a Nuclear plant in Il. It sustained rear end cargo box damage, a bent frame and a broken bell housing due to the crash. The truck was out of service for 93 days while being repaired, until the last of Nov 2004.

You will need to work very closely with the insureds adjuster and get in WRITING what they require for downtime claims. Then provide it all and then some.

First you will need to get the freight moving. The freight rescue cost us $1435.

Contact a repair facility for estimates, and the local truck rental/leasing companys for rental equipment. Chances are, that they won't have a sleeper straight truck in inventory, and they certainly didn't have a sleeper sraight truck with a 30' curtainside that could CARRY 30,000lbs. Get in writing from each of them (very important) that they don't have equipment to fit your needs.

When it was determined how long the truck was down go that far back in your records load by load and document the facts. (the ins co will only ask for previous 30 days) but go the extra step and do it all.

Our claim for missed revenue was based on 93 previous days @ $534 revenue generated per day, minus 15% for fuel (the percentage of gross that fuel was at the time), plus $1435 for freight rescue. Submit it and wait. Then wait s'more an s'more n s'more.

The loss we sustained in Sep, Oct, Nov 2004 was just paid on 31 Dec 2008.

Not a good thing, but, they gotcha.

Reactions: 1 person

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
A good read for the new folks and why I advocate having at a bare minimum, $10,000 cash reserve per truck for someone starting out in a straight or tractor.
Ideally more.
Just on a engine replacement and downdown time, you could easily get much closer to 20k.
Buy the time you get your truck fixed, continue with personal and existing bills, it doesn't take long to burn through that amount. Granted you would get some of that back, but as the Colonel story goes, might be waiting awhile "for the check".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It can be if it is contested and goes to court. Then you have the other processes if they refuse to pay.
Many court cases go beyond the five year mark before compensation is actually awarded and paid.
Just because one might win a case, doesn't necessessarily translate into immediate payment.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I had a truck get totaled last April (yep, mega freight damage as well) and I'm STILL waiting to get this claim settled & get a check. Insurance companies are not known for their speed.