Ice on Roof solution?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They often show the de-icing procees on the runways or at the gates when they do stories on snow storms or plane crashes. They mention the inflight sytems be don't seem to go into much detail on thier operation. Layoutshooter

guido4475

Not a Member
Ever been to a yellow freight terminal up north? they have a drive-under roof scraper. It is in the shape of a "v", and when a driver drives under it, the hard rubber scrapers scrape the snow off to the sides, letting it fall down the side of the trailer. As far as the ice itself is concerned, maybe if people werent following too closely......

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That would work in a terminal, but not while on the road. You would have to have a whole lot of them at every truck stop and then you would still have the problem where there are no stops for miles. Can you picture the line at a truckstop de-icing area after a big storm? Layoutshooter

guido4475

Not a Member
Okay, since that idea was shot down in flames, how about a tilting roof? just raise the roof, and the snow slides off the back of the trailer before a driver leaves his parking place.lol.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A plane has two deicers, one is a bladder system on slower planes and the other is a heating element that is 'attached' to the plane in different ways, each are on the leading edge of the plane. There is also a system that sprays anti-icing solution while in flight.

When a plane is deiced on the runway or sitting there, it is a heated solution that is sprayed onto the plane. It is a glycol solution that should be recycled but not all the time.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
hey maybe convert some of those abandon idleaire sites into roof scrapers?

don't see how a translucent roof can have a grid on top and still be translucent. the dry frt trucks would have a problem. some folks here forget there is other frt:eek: than temp controlled:D.

i agree with layout to enforce the local 4 wheelers to clean their windows rather than use the wipers and the defroster.

afa being too close well what about the situation when passing along the side on a three lane like 94 between chgo nd mke?

i have sheets come off the top of my van even and i tried to push off as much as possible. now i can punch the roof to get it dislodged and then make hard starts and stops to get it sliding off. once the roof gets finished inside that won't happen next winter. impressive what an ice sheet looks like sliding down the windshield.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There would have to be seperate solutions for dry box and reefer, although I do not have a metal top on my truck. Besides, even if I had a tranlucent roof, I MIGHT be willing to loose that to insure no ice or snow build up, just for the fuel consumption and weight problems. In addition to the raising of your center of gravity all that snow and ice can have a real effect on you when you cross a scale. It can put you into trouble under extreme circumstances. Layoutshoooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
See, I am capable of rational thought. letzrocketexpress should be amazed!!! :p Just joshin!!! Layoutshooter

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is a problem, and a solution is needed, whatever it turns out to be.
I once had to pay an overheight fee on the Ohio turnpike due to the snow piled on top of the 53' trailer, after it had sat all weekend getting snowed on. :mad: