I dont understand how someone can drive expidite loads

angelfly

Seasoned Expediter
Really I drove to tri-state for 11 months because in my town/state there is little work so I decided to try this side of the business and left my family to help support them even after I heard all the stories about owners not paying drivers (which makes me twice as dumb) anyway I went to work and from day one I had to worry about getting payed turns out that was the last thing to worry about I sat in many truck stops for days waiting to make a few bucks it got to the point to where any load started looking good even if it payed only for food and a shower and then sit some more waiting for that handout and off again. I hung in there as many experienced driver would tell me (things would get better soon) at one point I had to have money sent to me from the family I was out there to support at times I would sit there and laugh at myself because I was wasteing my life doing what sitting for a few bucks (keeping in mind everyone said we would make good money) as I had a lot of time sitting I would read everyones post and seen a pattern of drivers not getting paid by owners (What companies don't pay there drivers) come to find out it is only in this field or part of the business. we would stay out 6-8 weeks at a time and made approx. 300 a week and at last the owner we drove for went broke and out we went without our pay only to be told from tri-state that we don't work for them and there is nothing they can do to help this I understood (but bet ur *** we drove for them when the load was important) so we signed on with experditers services (red trucks) nice company always payed on time but no loads so I decided to go home if I was going to make 1.00 an hr or less 24/7 in the truck lol I got lucky and landed a job 30 miles from home and a hell of a lot more money after 2 years I still see the same stories on here no loads and owners not paying drivers let me make this clear (not all owners are bad) some are very good just there hands are tied if there is no loads. I would advise for drivers to become more together and stop this owners nor companies like tri-state can operate without someone in the drivers seat to make them money. I learned that if ur so down your willing to do whatever it takes to support a loved one that your willing to take the chance I learned if your willing to continue knowing all this then your in the right place if your not then go home and sign on with a major company it don't matter your level of years driving most companies (real) will train you and pay you 35 cpm don't seam like a lot of after the end of the week its a lot more then you will make sitting at the local truck stop and best of all you don't worry about getting payed so get out of the truck go home if your not happy with the miles or owner and get a real paying job or shut up and continue your new life (again not all companies or owners are bad) everyone is out for the same thing money the problem is the driver is the one that has to worry if they are getting payed because the owner is the first to see your money and in most cases will be the last to see it. in the real business of trucking this only happens in expediting I have never heard of swift or one of the big companies not paying there drivers why you should ask ur self good luck to everyone and if you are the one that is in this position then what are you doing still sitting there.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some seriously long run-on sentences... especially the one in the middle. They all form one huge paragraph. Hard to read, since there's nowhere to pause and breathe.

You were sayin? ;)

angelfly

Seasoned Expediter
yes you are right they have to learn to drink on there own so will and some will be the next victim

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Research and understanding the business are paramount for a good relationship with a fleet owner. There are many out here with various carriers that make an outstanding living.
Ummm????? Why is that?
There is a variety of reasons.
As for comparing truckload carriers, I would question that. If they are that good, why do they have such high turnover? More to it than meets the eye.
All kinds of horror stories out there with various truckload carriers.

angelfly

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for your input davekc you have a good rep and have help me in the past and I respect your opinion and you are right horror stories on both sides of the fence and myside is only one of them good luck and everyone be safe

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had three owners not once was there a problem but I have heardvstiries of bad on both ends. Oh and I could not read the whole thing kept getting lost.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Research and understanding the business are paramount for a good relationship with a fleet owner. There are many out here with various carriers that make an outstanding living.
Define an outstanding living. I have been in transportation for 31 years and as a O/O have never seen it so hard to make a living Thank God my truck is paid for because i have no idea how someone with a truck payment can make a living.
I was doing well transporting containers had 3 daycabs and paid the drivers $15.00 HR. Then cooperate came along and said all the subcontractors had to cut their rate in HALF thats when I said see ya. Could not find anything else local that paid anything so I sold the 3 trucks and used the money to pay cash for my expeditor truck.
I do know that if I didn't have A felony conviction over my head alot more doors would be open so I have no one to blame but myself.
The business i was in before going to the gated community paid very well the vehicle was leased and the driver was paid seperate to drive. you got $185.00 a day to drive. you were paid from the day you left home till the day you got back home. If you drove over 450 miles that was called an overdrive and you got paid an extra days pay
It eas contracted that the client would pay all fuel cost and maintenance on the vehicle and they had to pay to have it washed once a week the driver would turn in reciepts once a week for reimbursement. There were other incidental chrarges the driver would charge to get an extra $125.00 to $200.00.
I see these guys going down the interstate and it brings A tear to my eyes knowing that I can no longer do that due to my own stupidity.
Why I said all this? I don't know maybe someone will get something out of it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Define an outstanding living. I have been in transportation for 31 years and as a O/O have never seen it so hard to make a living Thank God my truck is paid for because i have no idea how someone with a truck payment can make a living.
I was doing well transporting containers had 3 daycabs and paid the drivers $15.00 HR. Then cooperate came along and said all the subcontractors had to cut their rate in HALF thats when I said see ya. Could not find anything else local that paid anything so I sold the 3 trucks and used the money to pay cash for my expeditor truck.
I do know that if I didn't have A felony conviction over my head alot more doors would be open so I have no one to blame but myself.
The business i was in before going to the gated community paid very well the vehicle was leased and the driver was paid seperate to drive. you got $185.00 a day to drive. you were paid from the day you left home till the day you got back home. If you drove over 450 miles that was called an overdrive and you got paid an extra days pay
It eas contracted that the client would pay all fuel cost and maintenance on the vehicle and they had to pay to have it washed once a week the driver would turn in reciepts once a week for reimbursement. There were other incidental chrarges the driver would charge to get an extra $125.00 to $200.00.
I see these guys going down the interstate and it brings A tear to my eyes knowing that I can no longer do that due to my own stupidity.

Thank you for sharing your self with us. Seriously. I respect you for that.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I too have heard of owners not paying there driver,and I never could understand how a driver could not get paid,you have there truck,you will see your truck when I see my pay.I am sorry that your experience did not work out for you,but all the information you needed is posted on this forum had you done your home work. It is not guaranteed you will get a load at any time so you must know when to wait or when to relocate.There are a lot of people making a living at expediting so it is not a bad business. I admit it's not what it used to be but it is still good.If you open a business and fail because you did not know enough about it who can you blame? Good luck with that new job!

angelfly

Seasoned Expediter
I drove T/T and straight thanks for all the replies and there input its seams some claim to not understand it but still offer a reply figure that out lol

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

You have a difficult situation due to making some wrong turns. Without a doubt, there are many in your same set circumstances.
Back to your question of "what determines a outstanding living"?
I go by the available numbers. The median HOUSEHOLD income (not individual) last year was roughly 50k. Median income falls while poverty rate edged lower - Sep. 12, 2012

Based on those numbers, if a team after expenses does double that number, then I would say that is outstanding. I'm not saying it is a winning lottery ticket, but I base my opinion on the current available working numbers.
Can a team make that kind of money driving a straight or tractor? Absolutely. Do all of them? No.
It is a combination of many things that get to that number. That is another post by itself. But it is quite possible and realistic even in a turbulent economy.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's much easier for a same household team to do $50,000 x 2 than for two drivers that are unrelated to do $50,000 each due to hometime and personal needs.
As a young related team I would work to get things in sync. Get your license early. Get your physical early. That way when you go home to do those things you can do them together.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It's much easier for a same household team to do $50,000 x 2 than for two drivers that are unrelated to do $50,000 each due to hometime and personal needs.
As a young related team I would work to get things in sync. Get your license early. Get your physical early. That way when you go home to do those things you can do them together.

That is likely true. I don't hire two different household individuals for teams. Just too much agenda and personal counseling sessions to deal with. ;)