I dont understand how someone can drive expidite loads

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Define an outstanding living. I have been in transportation for 31 years and as a O/O have never seen it so hard to make a living Thank God my truck is paid for because i have no idea how someone with a truck payment can make a living.
I was doing well transporting containers had 3 daycabs and paid the drivers $15.00 HR. Then cooperate came along and said all the subcontractors had to cut their rate in HALF thats when I said see ya. Could not find anything else local that paid anything so I sold the 3 trucks and used the money to pay cash for my expeditor truck.
I do know that if I didn't have A felony conviction over my head alot more doors would be open so I have no one to blame but myself. You say you were in transportation for 31 years. Where exactly were you for 31 yrs? Seems to me if someones been in trucking for 31 yrs they should know something. You need to go back home grab a cool one, sit down and think not only about what your saying but where your going.
The business i was in before going to the gated community paid very well the vehicle was leased and the driver was paid seperate to drive. you got $185.00 a day to drive. you were paid from the day you left home till the day you got back home. If you drove over 450 miles that was called an overdrive and you got paid an extra days pay
It eas contracted that the client would pay all fuel cost and maintenance on the vehicle and they had to pay to have it washed once a week the driver would turn in reciepts once a week for reimbursement. There were other incidental chrarges the driver would charge to get an extra $125.00 to $200.00.
I see these guys going down the interstate and it brings A tear to my eyes knowing that I can no longer do that due to my own stupidity.
Why I said all this? I don't know maybe someone will get something out of it.

I'm some what confussed. You had three trucks running from a port somewhere and you have a felony conviction. How did you get a TWIC card that's required for all truck owners working from any port?? If your felony conviction is older than 10 yrs it shouldn't even be mentioned. Sell 3 trucks and pay cash for a c/van? Trucks weren't worth much were they? Probably could have taken one, stretched the frame and added a box to start with. I know hind site is 20-20 but I don't think that was a good move. C/V's are a dime a dozen. As Dave stated earlier, truckload carriers turn drivers over at rate of 100% a year. I know, they leave drivers sitting in truck stops just as Expediters are. Reading your posts I recommend you get some help on the business end of things and put together a business plan and start over. If you started this business in the last 4 months than I can say you didn't plan very well. You don't start this business in the first quarter w/out having a couple of months reserves (money). Whatever you decide to do get some help doing it, your obviously make some terrible decisions. Good luck.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm some what confussed. You had three trucks running from a port somewhere and you have a felony conviction. How did you get a TWIC card that's required for all truck owners working from any port?? If your felony conviction is older than 10 yrs it shouldn't even be mentioned. Sell 3 trucks and pay cash for a c/van? Trucks weren't worth much were they? Probably could have taken one, stretched the frame and added a box to start with. I know hind site is 20-20 but I don't think that was a good move. C/V's are a dime a dozen. As Dave stated earlier, truckload carriers turn drivers over at rate of 100% a year. I know, they leave drivers sitting in truck stops just as Expediters are. Reading your posts I recommend you get some help on the business end of things and put together a business plan and start over. If you started this business in the last 4 months than I can say you didn't plan very well. You don't start this business in the first quarter w/out having a couple of months reserves (money). Whatever you decide to do get some help doing it, your obviously make some terrible decisions. Good luck.

1) Yes I do have a TWIC and NIT AND PMT card. It depends on the felony.
2) yes my trucks were old only used for the 3 local ports
3) I don't have a sprinter i have A class 8 (D) unit with 24' box and liftgate it is an 07 Freightliner columbia box is 102" wide X 109' tall Bought the truck from FYDA you can see a P
ic of it on my profile page
4) didn't want to stretch out one of the older trucks as i mentioned they were day cabs and they were old
5) Thanks to the $$$ I was making with the 3 trucks I do have A few years float.
6) Felony conviction is 10ys old and still makes a difference with some companies.
7) the reason I can't go back to what i was doing before the bust is I can no longer get into Canada with the conviction.
I am not A team I am a super solo
I think freight is moving much cheaper than it should but i think some of the carriers are doing all they can to keep the price up pay the drivers and pay their own bills at the same time. It doesn't appear that anyone is walking off with the pot. When I pull into our own compound I see no Benz's or BMW's
Oh and I have been expediting for over A year or so.

Last edited:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Aquitted...are you completely sure Canada is a no go? They have a "forgiveness" program for felonies over 10 yrs ago, there are restrictions but it's a possibility.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pandora good to see you back! I was wondering why you haven't posted in a while.
Yes canada has A ministers permit that is good for 3 years then you have to apply for rehabilitation.
I believ with the permit fee and aplication fee it is $500.00 and takes about 6 months to complete
and then there is no garantee they will give it to you. I heard they frown on gang related charges.
Actually it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
I have been out of the country twice since then once was a cruise to the Bahamas with my wife and the other was walking over to mexico to buy A pair of boots both times U.S. Customs detained me for hours while being questioned by them and I.C.E. Mexican border they handcuffed me to A chair for 4 hours while waiting for N.C.I.C. computor to come up.
All that being said I thank you for reminding me to check out the ministers permit thing
I apreciate your post.

jayjay

Rookie Expediter
Define an outstanding living. I have been in transportation for 31 years and as a O/O have never seen it so hard to make a living Thank God my truck is paid for because i have no idea how someone with a truck payment can make a living.
I was doing well transporting containers had 3 daycabs and paid the drivers $15.00 HR. Then cooperate came along and said all the subcontractors had to cut their rate in HALF thats when I said see ya. Could not find anything else local that paid anything so I sold the 3 trucks and used the money to pay cash for my expeditor truck.
I do know that if I didn't have A felony conviction over my head alot more doors would be open so I have no one to blame but myself.
The business i was in before going to the gated community paid very well the vehicle was leased and the driver was paid seperate to drive. you got $185.00 a day to drive. you were paid from the day you left home till the day you got back home. If you drove over 450 miles that was called an overdrive and you got paid an extra days pay
It eas contracted that the client would pay all fuel cost and maintenance on the vehicle and they had to pay to have it washed once a week the driver would turn in reciepts once a week for reimbursement. There were other incidental chrarges the driver would charge to get an extra $125.00 to $200.00.
I see these guys going down the interstate and it brings A tear to my eyes knowing that I can no longer do that due to my own stupidity.
Why I said all this? I don't know maybe someone will get something out of it.

I'd like to know what company pays like this?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
UPS. Roadway. Fedex Frt. Not the Overdrive pay. At Roadway we got $250 per day average.

I walked into a local factory and was told they pay $11 per hour for TT drivers.
I left.
2 years later I learned they pay 24 hrs per day from when you leave on Sun or Mon til you return Thur or Fri.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
1) Yes I do have a TWIC and NIT AND PMT card. It depends on the felony.
2) yes my trucks were old only used for the 3 local ports
3) I don't have a sprinter i have A class 8 (D) unit with 24' box and liftgate it is an 07 Freightliner columbia box is 102" wide X 109' tall Bought the truck from FYDA you can see a P
ic of it on my profile page
4) didn't want to stretch out one of the older trucks as i mentioned they were day cabs and they were old
5) Thanks to the $$$ I was making with the 3 trucks I do have A few years float.
6) Felony conviction is 10ys old and still makes a difference with some companies.
7) the reason I can't go back to what i was doing before the bust is I can no longer get into Canada with the conviction.
I am not A team I am a super solo
I think freight is moving much cheaper than it should but i think some of the carriers are doing all they can to keep the price up pay the drivers and pay their own bills at the same time. It doesn't appear that anyone is walking off with the pot. When I pull into our own compound I see no Benz's or BMW's
Oh and I have been expediting for over A year or so.

Okay that clears up a bunch. I really did not understand your first post but I do see C&M transport under your bio. I've heard through others that they are a good company and stick to their rates. I like that. The felony and the problem with crossing borders is probably due to a trafficing charge but don't know and doesn't matter. Your right about freight running cheaper, 1st quarter brings out the worst in all company's. The reason your company is loosing bids is just what I stated C&M sets a limit and they stick to it. Myself I would rather sit than wear out a truck running up and down the road for free. I think your post is mostly a rant and just letting off steam. It should start to p/up shortly, but it won't be anything to brag about. OB rescued the auto industry but the auto industry has the inventory built back up. The problem now is no one has the money to buy a new car. The few people that have a job are saving their money because their unsure what tomorrow brings. I would almost make a bold prediction that OB will even let the Keystone pipeling go ahead. He has to have something big to take everyones mind off his ob care bill. But until he makes some right decisions the economy will keep going at its current pace. Hang on, there's a whole lot of people in the same boat. Alot of them voted for him and they got what they asked for. Good luck.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Pandora good to see you back! I was wondering why you haven't posted in a while.
Yes canada has A ministers permit that is good for 3 years then you have to apply for rehabilitation.
I believ with the permit fee and aplication fee it is $500.00 and takes about 6 months to complete
and then there is no garantee they will give it to you. I heard they frown on gang related charges.
Actually it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
I have been out of the country twice since then once was a cruise to the Bahamas with my wife and the other was walking over to mexico to buy A pair of boots both times U.S. Customs detained me for hours while being questioned by them and I.C.E. Mexican border they handcuffed me to A chair for 4 hours while waiting for N.C.I.C. computor to come up.
All that being said I thank you for reminding me to check out the ministers permit thing
I apreciate your post.

Thanks for the welcome actually been dealing with so many other sides of this business that I've been fairly busy...lots of maintenance issues, training and more!
We don't go to Canada currently but one or two of our drivers have previous felonies that are 10 yrs or older so yes it never hurts to try! Though you didn't strike me as a gang banger! :p Of course I know they like to make charges sound even worse than crime committed...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I too have heard of owners not paying there driver,and I never could understand how a driver could not get paid,you have there truck,you will see your truck when I see my pay.

All the information you needed [to understand drivers not getting paid by owners] is posted on this forum, had you done your homework.
As you noted, "you have there [sic] truck", which means they have legal title to the truck. If both owner and driver were to complain to law enforcement, the driver would be referred to small claims court or an attorney, while the owner would be invited to swear out a complaint for grand theft. Guess who gets arrested?
The only protection a driver has is a written contract, and the ability & determination to pursue a breach of that contract, which can take time and money the driver may or may not have. [Unscrupulous owners know this.] Holding the vehicle 'for ransom' is a very bad idea, and very bad advice.

I am sorry that your experience did not work out for you,but all the information you needed is posted on this forum had you done your home work. It is not guaranteed you will get a load at any time so you must know when to wait or when to relocate.There are a lot of people making a living at expediting so it is not a bad business. I admit it's not what it used to be but it is still good.If you open a business and fail because you did not know enough about it who can you blame? Good luck with that new job!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How can I drive expedited loads???

Well, to tell the truth it's easy enough. The dispatcher calls me, says he has a pickup at a given place going to another place, I grab my cup of coffee, start my engine and go. That doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Looking at this thread, I'd say the complaint is along another level: getting paid for the work. That depends on the honesty of the people you're dealing with. I've been fortunate that way which is one reason I've stuck with this carrier in spite of the fact that the pay isn't what I would hope for. He is honest, and I know I'm going to get paid the amount I'm supposed to get paid. I've had my chain jerked at another outfit in a different industry, so I know that some folk hire ICs specifically so they can breach contracts and not pay their ICs. That doesn't answer the question about how we can drive expedited loads though, because that wasn't even the right question as it happens.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
To hold an owners truck or drag your feet returning it is not Grand Theft,due to the fact that they gave there permission for you to take the truck in the first place and they agreed to pay you. Pull your truck into a shop's bay and ask for work to be done and don't pay for it, but try to drive away with your truck and see how far you get.I have had to hold an owners truck to get paid so I know from experience.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To hold an owners truck or drag your feet returning it is not Grand Theft,due to the fact that they gave there permission for you to take the truck in the first place and they agreed to pay you. Pull your truck into a shop's bay and ask for work to be done and don't pay for it, but try to drive away with your truck and see how far you get.I have had to hold an owners truck to get paid so I know from experience.

A shop can place a lien on a vehicle for outstanding bills.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
A shop can place a lien on a vehicle for outstanding bills.

Hmm, I don't pretend to know nearly enough about transportation or vehicular law, but wouldn't it seem to follow (my logic, anyway) that a stiffed driver might be able to put a similiar type lien against a truck since he or she "has done work on it"??

I realize this might be a stretch, but it would certainly shed a different light on owners lacking the scruples to pay drivers in a timely fashion..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Mr Runner: the owner who gave permission has the option of revoking it at any time, for any reason, and has only to say that he did so to file theft charges against the driver who refuses to return or park it. You may feel you have the right to 'keep' the vehicle because he owes you money, but when a LEO spots the 'stolen vehicle' and arrests you, he isn't going to accept your explanations.
Getting away with it is what gets a lot of criminals caught, when they try it again - just sayin.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Mr Runner: the owner who gave permission has the option of revoking it at any time, for any reason, and has only to say that he did so to file theft charges against the driver who refuses to return or park it. You may feel you have the right to 'keep' the vehicle because he owes you money, but when a LEO spots the 'stolen vehicle' and arrests you, he isn't going to accept your explanations.
Getting away with it is what gets a lot of criminals caught, when they try it again - just sayin.
That is 100% correct he can revoke his permission at any time and you must return equipment in same condition that you received it, in a reasonable amount of time. If he calls the police and reports the truck stolen,that is a false report,he must explain how you got the truck in the first place. I can only say the one owner that tried to get out of paying me did pay me . I have read many post where drivers complain that they have not been paid in months,and I'll stick to my reply I don't understand how they can let that happen. I know one owner that has even gone so far as to locate the truck with the Qualcomm and take the truck back to get out of paying the driver.I avoided that buy pulling the fuse and moving the truck. I got paid.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is 100% correct he can revoke his permission at any time and you must return equipment in same condition that you received it, in a reasonable amount of time.

Correct.
If he calls the police and reports the truck stolen,that is a false report,

Incorrect. As the owner, he gets to say who may drive/take the vehicle, and for how long, and when they may not keep it any longer.

he must explain how you got the truck in the first place.

Not any more of a problem for him than it would be for a rental agency, if you kept their vehicle against their wishes. Name on title = authority.

I can only say the one owner that tried to get out of paying me did pay me . I have read many post where drivers complain that they have not been paid in months,and I'll stick to my reply I don't understand how they can let that happen.

I can think of many reasons, most having to do with what DaveKC calls 'undercapitalization' [ie: they're broke]. Or gullible ['The check is in the mail, I swear!"] Or both. Or any number of other factors. I was in the same boat, with an owner who was ill - how hard can you push someone who has been diagnosed with a brain tumor? :confused:

I know one owner that has even gone so far as to locate the truck with the Qualcomm and take the truck back to get out of paying the driver.I avoided that buy pulling the fuse and moving the truck. I got paid.

If it worked for you, great, but I repeat: it is bad advice for others to follow.