How to cope the slow season?

cpboy_1

Seasoned Expediter
How do you cope through the slow season. Its my first season expediting. I came to Panther in April. I wasn't prepared for this slow season through Jan and Mar. Now that its here I have been pulling my hair out. I was worried about driving in the snow, now it seems I should have been worried about the slow season. Help, I don't know what to do. I thought about leaving the company, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Plus despite all the bad things people talk about, I have always had some good times with the ol' cat.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Seems nine months of good running, a fella should have a bit socked away, providing he ran all he could while it was there. Enjoy the break now, and giver *ell when it comes. That is usually the most difficult thing to get across, You can take plenty of time off from this occupation, but, not necessarily WHEN you want to.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
It seems like there is always a thread about the slow season.I guess maybe it might be slow for some,but many others are busy.The best way to take care of expedite,whether its in January or December,is to put yourself in a busy area,As we all know some express centers are never slow,while there are some that are never busy.If you feel it is slow,then dont turn down any of the loads that are offered.Sure your a team,but if you wait for a team load,it can be slow all year.Expedite isnt about running coast to coast,or running 5 or 6000 miles a week.If this is what you expect,then you will never be busy,as the average expedite load is about 400 miles.Even though a truck can pick up and deliver an 800 mile load faster than putting on an airplane,those loads are not the norm.Good luck and if your slow,be glad you have the time off

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Many will use the time to address personal business:
  • Dental appointments
  • Taxes
  • Family visits
  • Home repairs or winterization
  • Unfinished projects
Others will use the time to perform truck maintenance:
  • Repairs
  • Upgrades
  • Interior re-organization
  • A good cleaning (Q-Tip the air vents!)
  • Etc.
After all of that has been completed it helps to have a good hobby:
  • Read a book
  • Build a model
  • Write a short story
  • Take some snapshots
  • Visit a flea market
  • Do a puzzle
  • Post something on EO that will be a help and a blessing to others

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
One thing is if you don't own the truck, you don't make as much money, so it's a little harder to put money back. It seems like that's a big mistake people in this industry make. They have a really great week, spend all that money, and then then don't have any left for the next week that might be really slow. It takes awhile to learn it for some. We just made sure we have some things to keep us busy...computer, TV, game system, MP3 player. When we're sitting for a day or two, at least you don't get bored. I think that was also good advice about getting to know which areas to be in at what time of year, but that also takes some time to learn. It's good to talk to people and find out from more experienced drivers also.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is hard and frustrating to go from running as hard as you can in December to what can feel as a complete halt in January. We have had very good Januarys and also very slow January's just depends on if we get our selves out of the freight lanes. This is looking like one of our worst January's but we will wait it out and hope for a better February. One year one area can be really good for us and next year it is not so good. Like butterfly610 have items in the truck to keep you entertained.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think the experienced folks are just a little better prepared this time than some of the others.
I am really seeing some that got too accustomed to several years of non-stop running, and then went to real slow.
Looking at classified ads and trucks getting repoed starts to paint that kind of picture for some.
Those sins of looking through the "rose colored glasses" can be costly.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I went through PantherII Orientation last August, one of the few things they were up front about was January & February are the slowest months.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All the above suggestions are good, but before you get engrossed in the spare time activities, are you 100% ready to roll, when the load is offered? Down time is a good time to inspect & clean your vehicle, belongings, etc. Prepare a couple sandwiches, if you eat in - once a load is offered, there may not be time to get food, and your own sandwiches are better, anyway. Is your paperwork organized, up to date, and ready for the next offer?
Downtime is a drag, but using some of it to be ready to roll on a moment's notice is time well spent. THEN you can play "Guitar Hero" with a clear conscience, lol.:D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I started an online shop over the holidays. Haven't sold anything yet, but I work on building up my inventory. So, not only am I a starving trucker, but I'm a starving artist as well. Hmm.

eb