how many miles will a 8.3cummins last

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
just got a new truck 99 fl70 with the 8.3 cummins
are yall having good luck with these motors and how often are you doing pms
i was told 10,000 miles and just dont know my C5500 was 5,000 miles and what is the most common thing that goes wrong with them or what should i look out for?

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Make sure you tell 'em your new truck started life as an "Expediting" truck and now has the box taken off and has a flatbed on it. You may get better responses. :D

Post a pic too. With the color of your truck, I bet someone here may just remember it when it was on the road as an Expeditor.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I hope you listened to some of us who said before you buy any truck, have the ecm dumped, a Dyno and an Oil analysis done.

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
the guy i am geting it from had the ecm and all checked and has the paper work
truck_001.jpg

greg334

Veteran Expediter
well I tell people to do it themselves because there is a lot that can be hidden by the owner. The owner should not have any issue with having you check the thing out yourself.

When I bought this one, I paid for everything, ecm dump to the OA and the OA for the reefer unit. It wasn't that I didn't trust the owner but I didn't trust the owner - you know what I mean.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
1. how many miles on it now?
2. what was it used for in its past life?

most trucks will last as long as your money pile or credit card. or not.
:D

youngsamuel

Seasoned Expediter
I would get the damper replaced. They recommend changing it out at around 350,000 miles. I had mine done and it ran much smoother. If it goes it can mess alot of stuff up.

bayouhotshot

Seasoned Expediter
Damper? What is that?

its what goes on the end of the crank shaft to balance the moter

the truck has 133,xxx on it now it had 80,xxx on it as a expedited truck than a flat bed was put on it and used to haul cattle from Tn to Tx twice a month it has a APU on it so it should not have alote of idle time on the moter

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Use synthetic oil and motorkote additive, and the best filters u can afford.....................................

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
just got a new truck 99 fl70 with the 8.3 cummins
are yall having good luck with these motors and how often are you doing pms
i was told 10,000 miles and just dont know my C5500 was 5,000 miles and what is the most common thing that goes wrong with them or what should i look out for?

How many miles depends on how many YOU want out of it, and how DEEP your pockets are. Ten thou is standard. You should lookout for strange noises comming from the engine. (if your radio is off)

guido4475

Not a Member
My freind has a t-300 with a 8.3 (isc) in it and it has 975,000 original un-opened miles on it. uses little oil, with 80 psi going down the road. runs real strong.Mine was the same way, when I had it.Excellent engine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There is a lot lot more to it than oil pressure.

When was the last time the engine had an overhead done?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry Guido, I wasn't talking about you, but Bayou and should have use that quote button.

I would rather see someone take the time and do Due Diligence with the right info than to get burned.

guido4475

Not a Member
I understand, and appreciate it. Other than taking a persons word saying overheads were done on a regular basis, how would one know? Receipts could be a good indicator, but not many keep detailed maintenance records, either.I've been fortunate so far, for buying used trucks that gave me good service.And lasted quite awile without a major repair.