how many miles will a 8.3cummins last

guido4475

Not a Member
The overhead consists of, from what I have seen,Is taking a cold engine, pulling off the valve covers, loosening the nuts that hold the rocker arms onto the valves, and re-torqueing them to specs,one at a time.Correct me if I am wrong, Gregg.Last time I had them done at cat, it was around a $200.00 job.I would like to get it done on my 7.3 Powerstroke in my van, if possible.

guido4475

Not a Member
the motor has never been worked on and has 133,xxx on it

Just broke in with alot of life in it yet.There is a Fl-70 with a 30' box on it with 800,000 with extensive engine work that I am considering buying for a back-up in case I want to do local work again.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the 7.3 doesn't need a valve adjustment, there are hydraulic cam followers (lifters) that take up the slack.

The process is easy for anyone who has done valve adjustments before but for those who haven't and to do it right bring it to a good Cummins dealer and pay for it. It should be anywhere between $200 and $250. The mileage when you first have it done is in the engine owners manual that came with the truck when to do it - I don't remember what the mileage is for the first adjustment. Some will tell you to have an overhead done long before the manufacturer's recommended time, but that's a waste of money.

As for knowing when it was worked on, that's hard to say. There may not be a paper trail but if the ECM mileage matched the odometer with some bit of difference (like a few hundred miles) then chances are it is a good buy.