How long?

broker

Seasoned Expediter
My hubby and I have now finished our first full month of Expediting and could not be more happy.
My question is: how long before I can start posting on this forum or should I ask, how long before we are not considered "newbies"?
I enjoy the stories from you drivers who have done this for awhile and just wanted to join in with mine.
Maybe it is because my husband had been trucking for 30+ years but I would never dream of going back to a regular 9-5 job.
I could write a book on all the things I have done in just one month, that most Americans will never have the chance to do in a lifetime.
Kathy

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In all realities...this business is always changing, evolving...so in essence we are always newbies in some ways...
Post whatever ya like..who knows ya might even teach us something!:D

moose

Veteran Expediter
"only in my dreams ,could i Imagine a place like this "

*"O.K , now Imagine a way to cross it "

Moose.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I could write a book on all the things I have done in just one month, that most Americans will never have the chance to do in a lifetime.
Kathy

I say post away,while there are some on here that think that you couldn't possibly have anything meaningful to post seeing as how you have only been at it one month,I would like to think that those members are in the minority.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
OK, thanks.
I would be the last to ever give advice to those in this business. I just want to tell my stories as time goes by.
I can see how some may have a hard time in this type of work, even though I do not see this as work but a new adventure everyday. If not for my husbands past in the trucking industry, I also would have been disturbed.
Sure, we have already had delayed and even cancelled loads but as I am reminded by him, it is part of the business.

OK, a lesson learned story.
John has been slowly giving me responsibilities. One of them was to carry the extra set of keys to the truck with me all the times.
I guess I missed the part about ALL THE TIME.
You see, I did not understand that more times than not, you leave the truck running when you are away from it.
So, as we are walking back to the truck, he says, unlock the door please. Whoops, keys are in my purse, that I did not grab.
When asked why I said, honey, they were so bulky in my pants pocket, I just put them in my purse.
2 hours later a locksmith, that had driven 20 miles, had it unlocked. He only charged $50 so hubby gave him a $10 tip.
Guess what, keys are now in my pockets, connected to a chain that clips on my belt.
Ladies, you should all have a husband as understanding as mine. He never even raised his voice. In fact, he took the blame for not making sure I understood the importance of having the keys with me at all times.

Getting ready to walk to the movie house to enjoy Marliy and Me.
Kathy

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Good story Kathy,and one that I am sure that almost everyone on here can relate to.

We have an extra set of keys hidden on the outside of the truck in one of those magnetic keyholders,and yes they have saved us more than once.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If not for my husbands past in the trucking industry, I also would have been disturbed.

It doesn't matter if your husband is disturbed. Both of you are welcome to post wherever you like. I have a past in trucking and I am also disturbed. Most likely I was disturbed before getting into trucking. Anyway, as a disturbed person I have never felt that E.O. has discriminated against me.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I think from even before you get your first truck or start driving you will be valued on this website as we all have different backgrounds that can help each other or offer insight.

I have also managed to lock us out of the truck but now due to idling. I have to ask why you leave your truck idling when you go inside.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
That's funny, I have a purse with me in the truck but I hardly every use it anymore. Pockets are a wonderful addition to pants and mine are always stuffed now.
While we were home, we went to the grocery store of course I had my purse with me...the problem was my drivers license and money were in my "other pants" :eek:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It doesn't matter if your husband is disturbed. Both of you are welcome to post wherever you like. I have a past in trucking and I am also disturbed. Most likely I was disturbed before getting into trucking. Anyway, as a disturbed person I have never felt that E.O. has discriminated against me.

Now thats Disturbing.

dodgeboy

Seasoned Expediter
Good story Kathy,and one that I am sure that almost everyone on here can relate to.

We have an extra set of keys hidden on the outside of the truck in one of those magnetic keyholders,and yes they have saved us more than once.

What does your truck look like and where is is parked again?:p

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome! Please feel free to jump in any time - we get even more disturbed when we feel unappreciated, you know. And sometimes, 'fresh' eyes see things that others overlook.....
PS Newbie is a state of mind with a flexible duration.....;)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes Broker, your newbee days'll be over whenever you deem they are. Whenever you got er all figgured out. That wuz a good story bout what not to do most days. Should be a wakeup call for others that havn't had to "pay" for their mistakes before. And yes, keep typing and let us know when the "understanding" really ends, after a couple more boners like that.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well the day I don't learn something new, will be the day Im dead! So you have my
go ahead to post away. So did you like the movie Marley & Me? I read the book, heard the reviews that the movies good too... add it to the list to go see, and if that fails rent/buy dvd.

I don't always agree with people on here, same I am sure as most folks. Don't post often lately either... been too busy dealing with life's other less tantalizing aspects, in addition to dealing with work, which when it's going.. its going well, when your sitting it helps to have a hobby, or a pastime that doesn't take all your money that you haven't made to keep it going.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Broker,
Post away! and don't worry, us disturbed folks make it more interesting :)

Most of us have done the key thing once .... :rolleyes: mine was actually at a delivery... jumped out to get dock assignment..... that click as the door shut was the loudest sound I'd ever heard...:eek:.

Thereafter I had extra keys!

Dale

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Got to love my Volvo when it comes to locking the keys inside...you have to have the key to lock it from the outside...but I do keep one on the outside if the one in my pocket gets lost (but for $35 buck each, I tend to keep an eye on them)!

Special K

Expert Expediter
Here's a thought that I'm amazed no one else has brought up. When you leave the truck with the engine running (yes, of course it's locked...but..) by necessity, the keys are in the ignition. It takes a professional truck thief a matter of seconds to break into a truck. In today's climate of greatly-increasing truck thefts, that seems like a really good habit to get out of, mainly because how would you feel trying to explain to the safety director, and ultimately to the customer, that you made a gift of their shipment to a thief by leaving the truck running with the keys in it? (And if you're driving someone else's truck, explaining it to the owner...and if it's your own truck, explaining it to the insurance company.) Your husband may have been in the trucking business for 30 yrs, but even us old dogs can learn new tricks, especially if it saves us a great amount of hassle. Just a thought...