how large is large

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
Panther ad says panther is largest expediting company in the country. the ad makes me wonder how do they define large. Is it the most trucks, the most drivers, the biggest trucks, the biggest drivers, the biggest office building, the most office people, the largest paycheck for the Panther owners, the largest paycheck for the trucks?

Is larger better or is larger just larger

PJ

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They are defining it by total vehicle count. As to whether that means better? Like any large company, it depends on how effectively it is managed.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
PL Large is a subjective item based on what ever factor the author of the "My thing is bigger then your thing" decides what is large.

There has been and always will be a on going discussion as too what size or (largness) vehicle is best to operate. Some people must have 500HP to haul 3,000 pounds whiles others are content with 250HP to haul 13,000 pounds. Some feel that a decked out $200,000 10 wheeler C unit makes them quite large in comparison to their peers. Others sit back and are content to earn the same revenue with a $30,000 used unit. Now their vehicle is not as "large" as the $200,000 C truck but at the end of the year their net(which is what counts) is most likely going to be larger.

So while Panther may claim to be large and have a large driver and customer base,Joe Bob's Fast Freight may actually return a higher(large) percentage of profit to it's owners or shareholders.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have heard claims size does not matter...

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Well, the FMCSA has Panther listed as having 793 units and FedEx Custom Critical as having 1509 units as of 11/31/06. As to the building size of Panther and FedEx Custom Critical. Panther's building size compared to FedEx Custom Critical building is like Comparing a mini mart to a Super Wal-mart. FedEx Custom Critical home Office is the Super Wal-Mart and Panther's home office is the Mini-mart. Just my thought's

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For what it is worth, that page is not accurate, and doesn't reflect current numbers for either carrier. As for building sizes, you are just looking at Seville and Green. You forgot about Charlotte and Chicago. Also, if you have been past Panther lately, you will notice alot of construction going on, on Panther Parkway.
"Rome wasn't built in a day"

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe size refers to fleet size. Fleet size equates to the total number of units under lease.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ahh, fleet size by division or whole company?

FedEx.

Well really it don't matter anyway as long as I make money.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
DaveKC the Const has nothing to do with Panther. They are putting a Dollar Store and a Doctors Office up in front of Panther on the corner of Rt 3 and Panther Parkway. And those numbers are facts as of 5/31/2006 right before Panther Bought out Con Way. The FMCSA wouldn't lie, It's open to the Public. And we all know that Con Way didn't have over 1200 trucks. And yes FedEx Custom Critical has over 1500 units.

www.fmcsa.dot.gov

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/safestat/CarrierOverview.asp?DOT=500737

I just want to know how a company can say they have the most trucks when they don't. I'm not trying knock Panther in any way, I think the picture needs to be painted right. Every company has it's down falls, Even FedEx Custom Critical has some things I don't like but I deal with it and move on. Yea, They claim to have more trucks than FedEx Custom Critical. But I really don't think so. I went into there home office and was not impressed with what I seen. Their Home office looks like a truck parking lot. I see these trucks are not there to sign on either. If I was a customer and seen some of the trucks that was on thier I would call another company. The boxes look nasty from all the glue from other company sign's.

Some of the best looking trucks on with Panther is DaveKCand leo's trucks because they take care of their trucks. Maybe Panther should take some notes from DaveKc and Leo.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The boxes look nasty from all the glue from other company sign's.
=================================================
Those blue and purple signs do leave a big mess when they are removed. I couldn't resist.
With all the latest changes with both companies, I am not really sure who has the most units? I would think they are pretty close either way. Panther lost many in the Conway deal, and the Fed lost many with their FSC program. Probably have a better picture at the end of the first quarter as to where both stand.
Personally, it isn't something I have really paid much attention to, other than posts here on EO.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Well,I'm 6ft 7(in the morning)which is why I'm TC.So,I belive I'm the "biggest"expediter in this neck of the woods.Anybody want to challange me with a "biggest"check?Bring em on.
The "A Team" are my witness's.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Too Tall Turner From Tennessee, (may he RIP) was a 7' Roberts Express O/O and Express America driver.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yea our one truck has the twin towers in it. The lead driver is 6'7 and his co driver is 6'5 talk about a basket ball team lol.

And DaveKC yes they do leave a nasty mess on the box. I had to have a box painted when I put a C unit on with TST.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
Well this may not be an accurate count but, I see more Panther vans than FDCC! I see more FDCC straights and E units than Panther. I don't often go further west than Texas though.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
many here remember when fecc had their fleet size to 2000 trucks,and people were loosing their homes
its not the size of the fleet that is important,its the quality of drivers in the fleet
if a company can satisfy their customers with less trucks,then evrey one is busy
fed x cc may not be the biggest as far as unit size now,but i bet no one can compare with their sales force,just look around and see whos got the most trucks in the parking lots
im off the soap box

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Alright first a silly question... Is Pather just an expedite company or does it do general freight as well.
If it does only expedite then it is largest by fact that Fdcc is part and parcel of the larger company. Does fdcc get loads from the other divisions of fedex?? If so then those were not originally expedite loads but rather a screw up and now is a critial.
There are several ways of looking at which is largest.
Rob Fis

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If the company your with keeps you rolling and making the money, than the only answer should be...Who cares.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This thread started out asking what makes Panther the largest company. Essentially, was it fleet size or revenues. It doesn't matter whether Panther or FedEx Custom Critical is the largest, or that they carry freight that started out as general freight. Each company, in it's own right, is structured as an expedite carrier.

FedEx Custom Critical is a stand-alone operating company within the FedEx corporate stable of companies. They often "rescue" freight from other FedEx carriers and from other LTL carriers and expedite the freight to its destination. Panther does identical work, even occasionally, from FedEx carriers.

Given the cyclical nature of expedite freight opportunities, and the constant flow of O/O's looking for greener pastures, all successful expedite carriers adjust fleet sizes throughout the year. Since these two carriers are nearly comparable in fleet size, a census at any given moment could show either carrier as having the largest fleet.

Personally, I don't care how many trucks are in the FedEx Custom Critical Fleet, nor do I care about the daily run count. My only concern is my monthly run count. I have a symbiotic relationship with the carrier; I provide excellent service and it reflects on them, and that gets them more run opportunities which helps me.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Terry, you said the same thing as I said but you have a larger post than I , does that mean your better?:+

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
>many here remember when fecc had their fleet size to 2000
>trucks,and people were loosing their homes
>its not the size of the fleet that is important,its the
>quality of drivers in the fleet
>if a company can satisfy their customers with less
>trucks,then every one is busy
Very well put. It has been a little crazy here the last couple of months and quite stressful for us, but that is the way the world works.