How Are You Getting Paid for Tolls?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
.....And Phil, please do not take that as a "shot" at you at all...you seem to be seeking more info than you might have needed at the FED where you were more, shall we say "insulated" from the day to day happenings that most of us dealt with without a 2nd thought...
Insulated. Living in a bubble. It's the point I was trying to make. OVM also touched on it about habits being an example. No matter how long you're in this business, your experience can still be limited simply by the number of carrier's you are with and by how they do things, and that in turn shapes your thinking. That's true with most everything, actually.

Since I've been with Load 1 (5 months), my Assessorial Pay plus my Deadhead Pay totals a number that is 11.05% of my Line Haul Pay. That's a little on the high side because I've been sitting a lot, lot. <dig, dig> But it's not unusual for those numbers to be 5-8% of the line haul. Depends on the carrier, of course.

The last 12 months I was with my previous carrier, my Assessorials break down as follows:

Hand Load/Unload - $910.00
Detention - $1010.25
Layover Pay (while loaded) - $1575.00
Pallet/Debris Removal - $550.00
Stopoff Pay (including wrong address) - $625.00

That's $4670.25. The previous 12 months was a little better than that. This is a business where pennies become dollars and it can add up in a hurry.

Granted, with Load 1 doing mostly auto freight, we're not likely to see much in the way of loaded layover pay, since the price for that is (hopefully) built into the bid in the first place, or debris removal or hand loads, much less inside delivery. (Although, one of my very first loads with Load 1 was a whopper of hand unload with an inside delivery that should have paid about $250, but it was my first week and I wasn't sure what the procedures were for much of anything, and by the time I found out it was a little late to ask for it.) But we do see stopoffs and detention quite a bit, both things the customer, especially NLMI, knows fully well they are to pay for, and they do.

And that's all I have to say about thayuht.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dennis, I think that Phil is discovering things and asking to teach others what he finds. It is a form of teaching that seems to have worked for a few centuries or so. In his defense, he is bringing some things many need to learn.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insulated. Living in a bubble. It's the point I was trying to make. OVM also touched on it about habits being an example. No matter how long you're in this business, your experience can still be limited simply by the number of carrier's you are with and by how they do things, and that in turn shapes your thinking. That's true with most everything, actually.

Since I've been with Load 1 (5 months), my Assessorial Pay plus my Deadhead Pay totals a number that is 11.05% of my Line Haul Pay. That's a little on the high side because I've been sitting a lot, lot. <dig, dig> But it's not unusual for those numbers to be 5-8% of the line haul. Depends on the carrier, of course.

The last 12 months I was with my previous carrier, my Assessorials break down as follows:

Hand Load/Unload - $910.00
Detention - $1010.25
Layover Pay (while loaded) - $1575.00
Pallet/Debris Removal - $550.00
Stopoff Pay (including wrong address) - $625.00

That's $4670.25. The previous 12 months was a little better than that. This is a business where pennies become dollars and it can add up in a hurry.

Granted, with Load 1 doing mostly auto freight, we're not likely to see much in the way of loaded layover pay, since the price for that is (hopefully) built into the bid in the first place, or debris removal or hand loads, much less inside delivery. (Although, one of my very first loads with Load 1 was a whopper of hand unload with an inside delivery that should have paid about $250, but it was my first week and I wasn't sure what the procedures were for much of anything, and by the time I found out it was a little late to ask for it.) But we do see stopoffs and detention quite a bit, both things the customer, especially NLMI, knows fully well they are to pay for, and they do.

And that's all I have to say about thayuht.:D

I'm sure your old carrier thanked you for thier part of the increase in revenue. You should've just did it for free....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dennis, I think that Phil is discovering things and asking to teach others what he finds. It is a form of teaching that seems to have worked for a few centuries or so. In his defense, he is bringing some things many need to learn.

I like Phils new persona....he is more interactive and not beating that purple drum....he actually is showing a sense of humour....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like Phils new persona....he is more interactive and not beating that purple drum....he actually is showing a sense of humour....

Probably relaxed from the Florida vacation house. Or maybe the move from Fed Ex Custom Critical to Landstar Express America or whatever it's called.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Yes he has changed for the better. I know some know the history part of this but I have yet to see the things he used to say pop up since the move. I guess becoming more professional and having more to risk changes people for the better.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You are right greg about Phil asking as "teachable moment", and that is the point i was tryin to make, it wasn't in any fashion a "hit" at Phil at all, his new "interaction" is a good thing..

Yes Phil is coming across with a different demeanor now, not that i personally took offense to him or his style in the passed, but his new inquiring questions are good for everyone including those of us that have been doing this a while, but still havn't been doin it forever...

So yea, having "popped" the FedEx "bubble" and moving on has not only broadened Phil and Dianes horizons, it is proving to be good for others..

Thanks Phil..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
...you seem to be seeking more info than you might have needed at the FED where you were more, shall we say "insulated" from the day to day happenings that most of us dealt with without a 2nd thought

Expediters have more in common than they have in difference. How is a FedEx Custom Critical contractor more insulated from the day-to-day happenings of expediting than a Load-1 contractor or a Landstar Express America BCO? What day-to-day happenings are you talking about exactly that "most of us" dealt with and FedEx contractors did not?

I can think of one difference in Landstar's decentralized agents dispatch system, but other than getting freight from multiple agencies instead of dispatchers in a central office, the core dynamic is the same, is it not?

At FedEx we waited for the beep. At Landstar we wait for the phone to ring. What is it at Load-1, a beep, a phone call, something else? Whatever it is, how does that day-to-day happening differ from that of any other expediter who leases one's truck to a carrier?

We owner-operators and drivers of fleet owner trucks do pretty much the same work, regardless of carrier. We receive and decide on load offers. We pick up and deliver freight safely and on time. We maintain trucks, buy fuel, submit paperwork, etc. I don't see much in that kind of day-to-day stuff that insulates a contractor with one carrier more than any other.

What am I missing?

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Phil, a simple answer to your original question...when we know we our route will take us on a toll road, we ask for reimbursement with receipts. That reimbursement comes to us in the form of income on our settlement, so we deduct the expenses.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Expediters have more in common than they have in difference. How is a FedEx Custom Critical contractor more insulated from the day-to-day happenings of expediting than a Load-1 contractor or a Landstar Express America BCO? ...

What am I missing?

You know the difference, that is FedEx controls things as does a lot of carriers but it seems LS say "you're a business owner so no hand holding". I made a comment a while ago that LS seems to care enough to have a business class of sorts, it isn't the MBA style of education but gives a pretty good overview. John of Load-1 fame seemed to catch on to the suggestion every carrier should have that so I don't know what happened to his company using the idea but I don't remember ever hearing FedEx having the same type of class or even treating people as business people.