Home Time

are12

Expert Expediter
I am sure this has been asked before but could not find it when I did a search.

When ever we run into other driver's, it seems we always get on the subject of "home time". So, my question is, how long do you stay out for before going home and how long will you stay home?

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
I’m a solo O/O usually staying out 2-3 months before taking 2 weeks at home.

For the past 6 months most of my runs have been in the southwest so it was cheaper to fly home leaving the truck with friends or family.

When I’m riding a hot streak the last thought is going home.

I picked up 3 web cams for the kids to send videos of the grandkids so I stay as current as possible being 2500 miles away.

When I run eastcoast I would make stops at home as frequently as possible. Home is only 60 miles from New York City/Philadelphia making frequent stops home relatively easy especially on nonrun weekends.

When I rode team it always seemed we were from different parts of the country so when one took time off the other stayed in service gladly taking 40% of run instead of usual 20%. When the runs were rolling in neither of us cared to take time off for fear of losing edge.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Thats a tough one Arlene..
We don't have a set schedule but avg 1 day for every week when we go home.
The rule of thumb is if we are on a good roll we stay at it till we just need a break and are close to the house.
We planned on a 10 day vacation for a year now and are staying out probably 8 weeks till we go to Disney.
The problem for us is that we have down time in different areas of the country and always feel guilty after the 2nd day home.
Mike and Cyn

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have one planned trip home a year. That is for Christmas. Typically, the freight will take us close to home (Minnesota) a few times a year. When it does, we may stay for a few days or keep running, depending on how we feel and what work there may be to do at home. Other than our Christmas break that spilled a little into January this year, we have been home twice in 2007 and stayed a few days each time.

To maximize our time on the road, and to simplify our lives, we maintain a mostly property-free lifestyle. Thus, there is no stuff to go home to use or care for. We do not own a house but instead rent low-cost, maintenance-free residential space. We own few household goods and no cars.

People critical of these choices often say we have no life. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our friends and family are scattered nationwide. On the road, we see more of them as expediters than we did before we got into the business. We absolutely love our life and work on the road. Why go home when we would rather be out?

The tourism and life-long learning opportunities are fantastic, and something we could never do at home. Just two days ago, we expanded our knowledge of American history by touring the Jamestown Colony in Virginia. Yesterday, we toured some log cabin model homes just for the fun of it. As I write this, Diane is reading a book while we wait to pick up a load later today. We never had time to read and study like we now have as expediters. Our income (net) is higher too.

It has been said that, "Home is where the heart is." In that sense, we are home every day. We love it on the road. And the truck's creature comforts enable us to do everything on the road that we could do at home, except laundry. There is no washer/dryer in the truck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We go home when needed. When we schedule any major work on the truck we have that done near the house and take time off then. We enjoy being on the road and have a comfortable truck so we are in no hurry to go to the house. We try to be home though at least once every three month to get caught up on mail and see friends.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
My husband & I stay out for 6-8 weeks and then take a week off. We have our dog on the road with us and have a wonderful and trust worthy gentleman taking care of our yard & my house plants so there's no need for us to hurry home. The only 2 holidays that we definately make a point of being home for is Easter and Christmas. Other than that, we stay out and run.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now that I've moved up to the comfort of a D-unit, I'm out minimum 6 weeks up to 3 months. I stay home 4 or 5 days and will be home for a week to 10 days at Christmas. My son overnights my mail to me when needed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stay out until I get a job heading toward home or until I just can't stand being out any longer. Generally that's a minimum of 3-4 weeks and up to a couple months. It all depends on the offers too. Last fall I was due home at Thanksgiving but got an almost 2600 mile offer that led to an 800 mile and then a 1370 mile follow ups in a 2 week span. Needless to say I delayed going home for 2 weeks.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

are12

Expert Expediter
Jim and I, normally, stay out 4 to 6 weeks in the summer and go home for a week. Winter months are a little different, it's more like 6 to 8 weeks but are always home for 2 weeks around Christmas and New Years, since there usually isn't much going on anyway.

Of course, this year it seems we have been home more often, between having the truck worked on and purchasing another piece of property. Just had the closing today!

Let me ask, how long do fleet owners expect their teams to stay out? (still thinking of buying another truck to put a team in)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say a little of it depends on where the team actually lives. Part of their time off could involve just getting them home if they don't live in the freight lanes.

With that being said, we usually are around three on, and one off. Just a matter of when the loads take you by the house. Of course holidays are a little different. Short of the big holidays, we look for 75 percent availability

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I tell my teams I want 80% in service which usually gets 75-80% actual in service. I don't look so much at how long they've been out or when they went home last as what's the availability. If they live in a freight zone and stay in service while at home that would have a bearing on it too. Another aspect of that real estate rule: location, location, location.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting that those who regularly post here in this forum are also, by and large, successful expediters who know what kind of commitment it takes to be a success. Smart, computer literate, involved. So it's no wonder that Express-1 seized the opportunity to shut the doors and pitch recruiting during the Expedite Expo's Expediters Online Breakfast for the Cream O' The Crop expediters.

Sometimes I crack myself up.

"As God as my witness, I though turkeys could fly." - The Big Guy

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I lived in a storage unit turned into an apartment one time. It had lights water carpet the whole nine. I worked as night time security. which was easy i had a survielence camera monitor on my console tv that I glanced at to see what was going on while watching tv from my lazy boy. It was actually 4 storage units they turned into 1 apartment. Now back on subject.
When I expeditied i stayed out 2-3 weeks depending on what frieght was doing and when it got me home. I'd usually stay out of service for 2 days and then go back in service, and it might take a day or 2 to get a load. I was a solo though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's hard to play by the rules when they are arbitrarily selective and enforced without explanation. I cannot for the life of me figure out why my post was deleted without so much as a PM out of courtesy. That's a slap in the face telling me that not only what I have to say is irrelevant, that I am, as well. It's not something I appreciate.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well it wasn't me, my posts and Dave's were also removed with no explanation. I agree that there was no reason to remove them and will attempt to find out why.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Mine Too !!
Your Now Entering Into The TwighLight Zone !!!!!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO......LOL

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
WOW...We stayed out for close to 9 weeks one time and I said never again. Although our owner has placed us in excellent equipment I still want out of the truck after a time. We live east of 95 in NC so we aren't in the freight lanes, so we try to head home when a load has taken us in that direction. We normally stay out about 4 weeks then go home for a few days.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well, well, deleted posts for something as non threatening as hometime. ANYONE care to splain???

I've actually been impressed by what i've read here. Problem is, i'd say there must be sumpin like 4000 folks that look in here and wonder how many three day wonders there are amongst the other thirty nine ninety??

Them'd probably get deleted to tho, cause the deleter knows that don't work.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I know Who Deleted The "Posts" !!
It was "ET", That's who ...
He was tired of doing all that Expediting on his Bicycle and decided to go " Home" to take a shower and clean his Rig !!!
Any other Ideas ????

P.S.
Only kidding Moderaters....
You do owe us an explanation !!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Sorry folks, my fault.

I deleted a couple of off track posts, and the rest referring to them didn't make sense then.

No offense meant, no patronizing, no favoritism.. I just wanted a good topic back on track.

I apologize for not posting a note, I plain forgot after fixing some other issues.

No further PM's to any moderator's necessary, mystery solved, mea culpa.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator
Expeditersonline.com
Truckme.com

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar