Home Away From Home

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
After Ed died, his widow Ruby continued the open house policy. During the year I drove for Housworth, I spent a lot of nights in the guestroom, and always felt welcome there. [Of course, I pitched in and helped with the chores, too, and once I cooked for everyone - it was great, lol]
Ed was, and Ruby is, among the best of us.
I don't think what David has in mind is quite the same thing, though.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
David,
One complaint to the county/township/city about you running a hotel and you will be shut down.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Isn't it amazing how the tentacles of government seem to get in the way of a little bit of personal initiative and free enterprise ?

Wishing you success .....

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, when I lived in the Philippines you could have any kind of home business and no governement agencies would bother you.

Actually, folks do stop by from time to time and it hasn't been a problem with the neighbors.

Just doing a little brainstorming.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey, gov regs be danged !! You put it together, i'll gladly pay anytime i am in the aera and i am sure there are morw then enough others that will do the same....I have a friend who does this type of thing (small hidden B&B) in the metro cleveland area, has for yrs and no one is the wiser...Go for it!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
David,
Just looking out for you.

Stopping by and renting are two different things. It may be alright for the people around you but the a** down the street who is p*ssed off because of the traffic may be the problem.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I think it's a great idea. I'm lost as to why all the warnings about your neighbors & such. You're the one who has to deal w/ that, not us. I'm sure you've already figured out the logistics of it.

This is an offer from you to people on the road. If the neighbors complain then I guess ya might have to stop. Until then though, I'd wish ya success w/ your business & depending on how far south ya are (I also live off I-75) would be a frequent visitor when I was in the area.

Good luck to ya & keep us posted on your progress.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sounds like a great idea... I've thought of the same idea for my place in SC.

Only for 18-wheelers as I'm literally 2 miles from I-26/I-385 split.
I have 2 to 3 level acres out of 5 acres.

There is a concern over liability issues.
They would have to sign a waiver to be extra cautious... a legal waiver of some kind.

The notion of straight trucks at our place is real easy cause it's very easy for straight trucks to get in/out. semi parkin is a bit tricky due to curve in road... eventually plan to put in an angled gravel approach for a more direct path onto the property. We're on the outside of a curve... so drive for semi/bus is gonna be before curve ends infront of house. puttin a bus in the drive way is tight due to the sharp right turn... u gotta swing wide. once off road u gott plenty of wide level room - and a great view of forest.

You bring up a great idea. There should be a small private network of homes like ours for "good" drivers... whether team or solo... to rest and do their 34's or 10 hours at. An honor system of pay... something like 15 to 25 per rig would help with food/bills incurred. Not to mention maintenance - especially of entry/exit points and parking area's.

I would only offer a stay to a fellow driver and/or drivers if I knew them in some fashion... either directly or indirectly. Like a fellow driver knows them that I know and can vouch for them that they're "good people".

Or if I knew the drivers from a site like EO and it's message board.
as an example: people like Leo or Teamcaffee (<--spelling?) we all know as "good people".

Great idea... esp. if they had gensets onboard. Even better is if somebody had a dumpstation at their place, and/or shore power hook-ups.
I can't tell u the number of times I wish I knew where a true legal dump station was or where there was shore power available.
Water? most people have garden hoses. same with extension cords.
Shore Power for larger systems is different and if not set up right can and will start a fire... and/or damage electrical systems- sometimes on both ends.

That's my 2 cents.
BBB

Last edited: