Home Away From Home

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many expediters would be interested in staying at a non-smoking home where they would have a comfortable bed, hot shower, use of the kitchen, laundry, watch a DVD and just relax for a mere $23/night.

A place located a mere 500 yards off I-75 with easy access.

Sort of like a Bed & Breakfast, but you cook your own food. :)

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Great Idea my hubby and I would like something like that. Since we stay away for 6 to 8 wks at a time. Come Think about it. It would be better that home because we have our Daughter, Son in law and three kids living here. No peace and quite when we go home.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many expediters would be interested in staying at a non-smoking home where they would have a comfortable bed, hot shower, use of the kitchen, laundry, watch a DVD and just relax for a mere $23/night.

Sounds good, but does this place have business permits and places to park for these expeditors?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds good, but does this place have business permits and places to park for these expeditors?

A place to park is a good question. Personally I would not be concerned about them having a permit.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Let's say a single individual who has two extra bedrooms opens their home to fellow truckers and as a courtesy they leave gift of $23?

It would be one straight truck or two vans at a time.

Just some thoughts.

I'd much rather sleep in a bed.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Let's say a single individual who has two extra bedrooms opens their home to fellow truckers and as a courtesy they leave gift of $23?

It would be one straight truck or two vans at a time.

Just some thoughts.

I'd much rather sleep in a bed.

All fine and good unless you live in a neighborhood. If you don't really have neighbors to bother, I am sure the neighbors would complain about the trucks, especially straight trucks. you know noise, etc. Just having a different truck or van in front of your house would make you a target for complaints. Overall though if you don't have neighbors to bug then go for it sounds like a good deal. I hate spending 35 to 40 bucks for a motel room just to sleep and shower

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Let's say a single individual who has two extra bedrooms opens their home to fellow truckers and as a courtesy they leave gift of $23?.

This individual has set a price in exchange for the use of certain ammenities. It is a plan to make up to $700.00 a month in extra income.
Not to be a party pooper but don't you think this would be considered a business? A license would be required and the revenue would need to be reported and taxed.

Otherwise,

The bed in our truck is comfortable.
We can watch TV and DVDs in the truck.
A shower is free with fuel.
We can do our laundry for $10.00

We are in a straight truck and would not have a need to utilize this unless there was no other option in the area. Perhaps some van drivers would feel differently.

Good luck though.:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The possible headaches are tremendous:
How do potential 'guests' contact you to find out whether there's a vacancy - or do they just show up? And how do they know where the place is located? Where would you advertise, and how much personal information [address & phone number] would you put out there? Would someone be available 24/7/365 to respond to requests? How could you maintain any social life, if your home must be available all the time?
What would your reaction be if something [valuable] were to go missing after a stranger [or two] had come and gone?

I wouldn't even consider opening my home to strangers!

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
The possible headaches are tremendous:
How do potential 'guests' contact you to find out whether there's a vacancy - or do they just show up? And how do they know where the place is located? Where would you advertise, and how much personal information [address & phone number] would you put out there? Would someone be available 24/7/365 to respond to requests? How could you maintain any social life, if your home must be available all the time?
What would your reaction be if something [valuable] were to go missing after a stranger [or two] had come and gone?

That's funny!
You sound like my parents everytime I had a great business idea when I was growing up.:D

You are absolutely right though (as were my parents). Your post barely scratches the surface of potential problems.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Crikey - I sound like my own parents!!! :eek:
Wow....somehow, I thought I was younger than that.
:D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go for it...I too can do all the things in my Sprinter but, it would be great to get out of it once in a while. Don't worry about the nah sayers. I mean, Fred Smith's sister wanted to have him put away for his thinking on his FedEx start up...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
somebody had a idea like this a while back also, like a campground some cabins like that, never heard anymore about it. all I can say is go for it, it might just work!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I would be more inclined to buy my own strategically located micro properties. Like barns. I would install the basic plumbing, and whatever else. And it would be mine without having rent to pay.

But your idea is your idea, so have a nut. Just keep in mind that as soon as your hobby gets worth it's time you'll get nailed. I might also add that if you plan to run an underground business, you should be careful who you tell and where you advertise.

Another thought is whether a carefully run, above-the-board website would want to be a central meeting point for a black market business. I don't know how the barter communities work, but you might find more useful advice at one of those type sites.

eb

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the idea....nothing like a few friends dropping over and once and awhile and donating towards the groceries...;)

I see friends getting together not a business opp.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

I perfer my own bed,Public beds I shy away from,but depending on where ya are off 75.
Parking and outdoor grills may take off,with some outdoor activitys.
How big would the fishing pond be?:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the idea....nothing like a few friends dropping over and once and awhile and donating towards the groceries...;)

I see friends getting together not a business opp.

Yeah, I can see inviting fellow EO members over and that's it, if you get much more serious you will need a business license, inspections etc, otherwise what you have is a really business and all the rules will apply. Good Luck:)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
No storage.

Just somebody who understands the nature of the business...the hardships and wants to be a blessing to others.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Kinda like what the late Ed Housworth did for the drivers of his trucks. If you were in the area, you could "crash" at his house for free and be fed very well, too.