Hmmm just how random

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Just how random is it when the wife and I both get hit for a "random" drug and alcohol test, while sitting at home in service.:mad:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sure makes you wonder. The company I started my illustrious expediting career with was known to "randomly" pick drivers who happened to be in southeast Michigan, near the office. The thought was that this allowed them to use the clinic they used for pre-employment tests. But, that was Concentra and they have clinics almost everywhere.

Someone is sure to post what the procedure is and that these are just coincidences. Hmmm...

I will say that in 9+ years of expediting I've never had a random. Now that I've said that publicly, will I be chosen? Stay tuned...

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Highwaystar: Please report to the nearest clinic and give up a stool, urine and semen sample...or, you can just leave your shorts if you're in a hurry.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had 3 randoms while being in expedite. 2 with Con-Way when I has home, in service and 1 with Panther in the morning 6 or 7 hours after a delivery.

Has anyone ever had to do a random drug test while on a load?

Random is what random does.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
But both of us on a random? I have no fear of passing, heck it's the only test that I can pass.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Going with your sig would be easier on your blood pressure but your first choice will get you finished with the test sooner. :D

I don't know about other companies but if Panther calls you for a random and you are under load they cancel it. I would think they'd all do the same but who knows.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
We've had a dozen+ randoms between us in 18+ years and not once during a load. They seem to always come up after an all nighter and we're trying to sleep when the call comes in. Truely random tests would occur 24/7 regardless of the activity of the testee.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I also have never had a random under load as the time that would be needed would most likely afect the delivery time and the customer would get poed thinking that Joe Bob's Express had drivers that were on drugs.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Who pay for the test- from the O/o pocket or the company pay? In Fed EX thay have this test and was cover by the company in Panther everytning has to pay the o/o??????????What about this random test - who pay for?:confused:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to admit, this is the first time I have seen both get a drug screen at the same time.
As for cost, Panther pays the drug screen cost.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Panther pays for random drug test.

My testes are not currently active. They're just hanging around waiting for a load.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I am the "Queen of the drug screen" In my 3.5 years I have been called for 11 randoms. Tod has been called for 1 and that was when we were both called. Only we were under a load and once we wwere on our way to a pick up. Either I have a very common set of numbers in my SS# or someone knows I was no angel a l-o-n-g time ago. At first I thought it was just a FedEx thing but the same rings true with Landstar, at least I can budget the drug screens in place of the inspections since they are free here. lol

Pappy

Expert Expediter
I now personally require at least a 5 day advance notice for any kind of test like this in order to allow me plenty of study time!

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Coco, wowooooooooooo 11 times you are the Olympic Gold medalist !!!!!!!!!!!! kEPT SAVE THE RECORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
As a team, I guess it would seem logical to test both when either driver's number was randomly selected.

I am not sure about how each carrier conducts the random selection, but from a legal perspective it is my understanding that the carrier could be subject to fines, or loss of licensure to operate, if they do not follow the set guidelines for random screening.

I can't imagine any major carrier taking such a risk by selecting only those who they know will pass the test without question.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have always wished we could both be called at the same time! It seems as if we get called we are the most tired and in an area that is not truck friendly and has no parking. Of course though we are always told "Yep they have plenty of truck parking" We have never been asked to do a random while at home though and in service.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Could be you have a seemingly high refusal rate while on duty at home. No telling. I'd thank em tho, only one downtime to get two birds.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Col is right, should be thankful you can both get them done and out of the way while your at home.

Has this happened to anyone else??? First time my wife was selected for a random, they also requested a breathalizer test for alcohol too. Had to pay the lab $25 cash up front before blowing into the machine, then take the pee test........
Couldn't figure that one out, what did they think, we would cruise down the road pouring down a few martini's??? LOL
Maybe they thought we were celebrating getting thru another delivery......LOL Who knows...

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Could be you have a seemingly high refusal rate while on duty at home. No telling. I'd thank em tho, only one downtime to get two birds.

That could be the case sometimes, This time not the case, no load offers.
On the bright sid thou after passing our P test we got a great load offer, DH 41 Miles Loaded miles 21.