Hit The Deer

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Wednesday night, I almost hit a deer. Meeting an oncoming truck on a two-lane rural Idaho highway (U.S. 20), I dimmed my lights and he dimmed his (or she). We passed each other just fine, doing 55 mph. As usual, I was looking down and to the right to avoid the glare from the oncoming truck's lights. A split-second after we passed, there she was, a big doe smack dab in the middle of my lane. There was no oncomming traffic in sight, no traffic behind.

The doe was crossing the road from my right to left. The two trucks apparently led her to change her mind. When I spotted her, she had just completed her reverse turn and was starting to trot off the road. She just made it before I would have nailed her.

When close calls like that happen, I like to run the scenarios through my mind to see if something better could have been done. In this case, I have the deer to thank for our trucks still-intact front end. Otherwise, the thing to do would have been to hit the deer. Stomping on the brakes would have done no good. There was not enough time to stop. Swerving to avoid the deer would have been worse as I would risk losing control of the truck.

I post this in the newbies paradise forum because many straight-newbies don't go to school to get their CDLs. The instinctive thing for most drivers to do is to try to avoid hitting a deer. That might work for cars in some cases but not as often for trucks. Truck driving schools instruct truck drivers to hit the deer. If you can, slow down as much as you can to minimize damage, but do not swerve. Doing so, risks loss of control and sets you up for an accident much worse than striking a deer would involve.

When Diane and I attended our new-contractor orentation last year, I was surprised to learn that hitting another vehicle is considered an accident, but hitting a deer is considered an incident. When I quipped, "That's because deer do not have lawyers." the safety officer leading the class agreed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Deer, deer what a mess they can be. Good advice Phil.

I got to add that driving through VA and WV, there were so many deer eating only a couple feet from the road, I slowed down to minimal speed just in case one decided to be spooked and run into my truck. It seems that for some reason VA was littered with dead deer the last time I was there, makes you wonder why they don't lead the country in vehicle deer incidents.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was advised by an insurance agent friend of mine...When you do have a deer hit and you require an accident report. Make sure you state that the deer hit you! Which puts the blame on the deer. If YOU hit the deer it could be disputed as your at fault.
Example: If you know there is deer out there and your doing the speed limit. It could be determined that you weren't driving the road conditions and you weren't in care and control of truck.

He said he's seen some young pup insurance adjusters try and blame the driver to get out of paying the claim.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know that deer are represented pro bono by some ABA members if they decide to try to recoup lost wages or the family needs post incident survival support.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Good reminder for all of us! While coming across Iowa in Wisconsin yesterday I saw evidence of about 2 dozen recent hits. We've had a few close calls, but luckily, the deer have headed in the other direction.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just remember... if you feel you can't avoid an animal, just hit it. Don't even THINK of swerving!

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hit a deer on I-71 just about this time last year. Called the Highway Patrol to make a report for the insurance company.

Submitted pix and the report and my insurance agent told me that it was covered under my comprehensive, rather than the liability, which means that the $3,700 damage done by Bambi will not affect my rates.

However, had I tried to sucessfully avoid the deer, and caused damage to the vehicle, it would then be covered under liability, which would affect the rates.

Be safe.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>I was advised by an insurance agent friend of mine...When
>you do have a deer hit and you require an accident report.
>Make sure you state that the deer hit you! Which puts the
>blame on the deer. If YOU hit the deer it could be disputed
>as your at fault.
>Example: If you know there is deer out there and your doing
>the speed limit. It could be determined that you weren't
>driving the road conditions and you weren't in care and
>control of truck.
>
> He said he's seen some young pup insurance adjusters try
>and blame the driver to get out of paying the claim.

This is the most crazy thing i have heard.I worked closely to insurance companies for yrs and never heard of any of them trying to do this.Hitting a Deer is considered a act of nature in the insurance eyes.You have no control of that animal.I use to deal with about 30 different insurance companies and lots of deer accidents here in michigan.I can almost gurantedd that the insurance companies that are trying to get out of it are the no name brand insurance companies like AIG.For anyone who may have them i recommend changing.I seen them screw customers hard.My mom was one she switch because of price.Well then she hit a deer and was suppose to have full coverage well when she called they informed her that because of the year of her vehicle she couldnt get full coverage and they had it as PLPD well she got $400 and no car.I deal only with local agents for insurance like farm bureau,state farm,Triple A and the list goes on.Heck when i worked int he bodyshop i use to have people that would back out of the garage and take the side of the car out and the insurance comp would cover it with no questions.Remember you never know when a deer will dart out or where they are.There is another thing people dont relize is if you do wreck you vehicle and the insurance offers you a dollar amount to total it out you dont have to except it.You can negotiat back and forth with them.Just when threw this went from $3000 to $6800.Make sure they give you a report of what they are comparing it to and where they got the info.Then do your own research online and compare prices at dealers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thunder said "Hitting a Deer is considered a act of nature in the insurance eyes.You have no control of that animal.

I don't dispute anything ys said but it could be said one has no control of the other driver as well...

As we all know is never to admit to "any' liability of any kind when dealing with those insurance companies.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like just good luck to me according to what you wrote.

You know Phil you sure do think alot instead of just being greatfull. So what were you gona do if she did not run off to the side anyway???? Since you thought about it over and over again, sure we can all learn something from those thinking moments you had.,

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most of us would make instantaneous decisions. But as we all know RESEARCH and PLANNING will help you decide, do I hit the deer or not. I don't think I would want to hit a 2,000 pound moose head on or hit a full grown deer with a car. I used to live in upstate NY and there were many deer incidents where the car hit the deer and knocked the legs of the deer over and it came right up and through the front windshield..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Sounds like just good luck to me according to what you
>wrote.
>
>You know Phil you sure do think alot instead of just being
>greatfull.

I was grateful. Did you miss me saying, "I have the deer to thank for our trucks still-intact front end."?

>So what were you gona do if she did not run off
>to the side anyway???? Since you thought about it over and
>over again,

I would have hit the deer. That would have been the least dangerous of the options then available.

>sure we can all learn something from those
>thinking moments you had.,

I would suggest that you can learn more by doing the mental rehearsals yourself. Driving, especially in wide open spaces at night, provides a lot of time to think and otherwise engage one's mind.

A technique I learned from corrections officers at a high-security prison I once worked at (as a computer guy, not a CO) was mentally rehearsing your reactions to dangerous situations. When the inmates are all locked in their cells for the night, the hours get long as the COs patrol the "house." One of them told me she uses that time to think through worst-case scenarios as a way to prepare for them. She would imagine herself alone among inmates without backup immediately present or happening upon a fight between an inmate and another CO. She would then rehearse in her mind the best ways to deal with it.

Psychological studies have shown the value of such rehearsals. In athletics especially, measurable results have been demonstrated. Groups having mentally rehearsed a particular feat, like making a free throw, out-perform groups that did not mentally rehearse, when both groups began to physically practice free throws.

Yes, Broompilot. I do think a lot. Among other things, I rehearse in my mind what I'd do if confronted with a deer on the road. I do so because I believe it makes me a better driver.

Such mental rehearsals have helped me maintain my cool when reckless or road-raged drivers force me to react. It helps keep me alert to my location and aware of how to best call for help. It helps me stay professional when dealing with sensitive situations on loading docks. It helps me secure freight that much better the next time.

Regarding gratitude, I've written about that in another thread. The technique described there is something else I do when doing what you call "sure do think a lot." It is a mood-altering technique that soothes the soul and produces positive results.

See: An Attitude of Gratitude

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=4898&forum=DCForumID1

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If I wanted a mood altering technique or experience, I don't believe writing something down would be my first choice.
My wife may have something to say about that.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Errr... is it just me or am I the only one who doesn't see the need for all this "research & planning" with respect to the possibility of hitting a deer or any other animal on the road?

It is a no-brainer for me based on common sense and good judgment. The moose bars will do their thing to protect the truck as much as possible. The driver will NOT swerve but will slow down as much as safely possible and try to hit the animal, if large, squarely.

Yes there is a certain amount of scenario play acting one can do in their minds; however, I would not want that planning to simply take over in the event of a similar situation... why? Because no two situations are ever exactly the same.

I suppose an analogy could be preparing to give a talk in front of a group... one goes through what they want to talk about but you don't memorize or execute the "plan" the same way each time. Personally, when I do this I don't have word-for-word written notes but rather just the key points I want to touch on written on cards or a card. Speakers who memorize word-for-word their talks often get into trouble at some point and those who read word-for-word from a teleprompter are just reading... might as well distribute copies of the text and let the audience read too.

The same goes with operating the vehicle: there are key points to remember but you cannot rehearse for every possible situation so you let your common sense, good judgment and in some cases experience guide you through it. You will have to react very quickly because these situations often happen when you are least expecting them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know quite often it's the deer you DON'T see that gets you!!Don't set your sites on the one that just crossed but look to where it came from, they don't usuallly travel alone.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The U.S. Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia teaches that "No plan survives contact with the enemy." They then go on to teach soldiers at all levels how to plan. Some of that how to plan training is in depth and goes on for weeks. Because U.S. soldiers plan, the enemy tends not to survive contact with U.S. soldiers. Planning has its place and its benefits.