>The U.S. Army Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia
>teaches that "No plan survives contact with the enemy." They
>then go on to teach soldiers at all levels how to plan. Some
>of that how to plan training is in depth and goes on for
>weeks. Because U.S. soldiers plan, the enemy tends not to
>survive contact with U.S. soldiers. Planning has its place
>and its benefits.

If only we were discussing soldier training. :+

I've done my share of instructing folks on driving skills and have found them some have it instinctively while others don't.

The ones who don't have it are the same ones who need to engage heavily in the listening, research & planning part while those who already instinctively have it just know what to do... this comes from a combination of common sense and good judgment.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Paul is 100% right ,some people are natural and comfortable in their surroundings be it a truck or a cubicle. Others need to do hours of research to decide how to act in a particular situation be it a truck or a cubicle.

Recently a thread was on EO about luck vs planning. Th author simply did not believe in luck as a factor on the road or getting loads. I believe luck good or bad plays a major role in your daily activities. The other day I entered a 15 mph school zone doing about 45 mph. I was tired and distracted by other events. I immeadiately hit the brakes to slow down and saw a local policeman at the intersection. Fortuntely for me he was looking in the oposite direction. Now to my way of thinking it was Good Luck that he wasn't looking at me as I didn't plan or know about the school zone and it was my fault that I didn't see the sign.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
What have you not done in your short life now Phil?

Corrections Officer, Stock Broker, the list just never seems to amaze me of what you have done in one life time. How does one have so many jobs in one lifetime. But the best of it is, you always seem to have come away from these Additions on a Resume as leaving the industry being the best of the best.

Sure you ever learned anything from all of these accomplishments? Lawyer, Nurse, what else? No do not bother answering it enough is enough honest your killin us here.

Drive Safe and react to the situation at hand.

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Go back and read the post. He didn't say he was a Corrections officer, he said he was a computer guy there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Computer guy in a prison? I don't even want to touch that one.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you, arrbsthw. As you said, and others missed, I have never been a Corrections Officer in a prison.

One of my gigs when I was a computer guy was in a high-security prison in Minneosta. They have a program there where businesses donate used computers and inmates restore them to like-new condition. The computers are then donated to schools.

It was a good program. Businesses got tax deductions. Schools got free computers. Inmates gained computer skills and the opportunity to develop and demonstrate good work habits (something good to have on their record when they got out). No inmate was ever given internet access of any kind, ever. They worked on the machines, not online. At this prison, inmates and the internet never meet.

With other staff members, I worked "inside" and elbow-to-elbow with violent and repeat offenders who had committed some very bad acts. That's why they were in this high-security prison and not in a lower-security facility.

Before I could begin the job, I was required to complete the first two weeks of the 13 week course the new CO's (corrections officers) received. They then went on to receive additional training on the job. I kept that job less than a year. The trucking bug bit when I was working there. In August, 2003, Diane and I quit our jobs to become expediters.

Yes, Broompilot, I generally do learn things from the work I do. Interacting with CO's, inmates and staff here taught me a lot about prison and public policy in that arena. Among other things, I learned about mental rehearsals, how to radio in an emergency call for help, how to write an incident report and how to recognize gang activity. Those skills serve me well as a truck driver today.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have no doubt you learn from every job. Just seems that one could not master everything you claim to have done in the posts I have read over the years to master all of the claimed jobs and careers?

Most industries or jobs take several years to master let alone to climb to the top of being the best of the best. You are the Man, best of the best, expierence heads above most of us anyway.

Good luck, keep up the good work.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I have no doubt you learn from every job. Just seems that
>one could not master everything you claim to have done in
>the posts I have read over the years to master all of the
>claimed jobs and careers?

In my biography, I do not talk about mastering everything I have ever done. I talk about mastering a field of endeavor to my satisfaction and then moving on. There is a big difference between the two. I would appreciate a little more care on your part to not misrepresent my history and words.

While I have moved in and out of several career fields over the years, I tended to rise quickly in most of them before getting bored. While my resume features a full list of items in the awards and recognition section, so what?

Today, I'm a truck driver, doing well, proud of it, and happy to share the techniques that helped make that happen. Is that OK? Something seems to have you unsettled, that's for sure.

I started a simple thread about a close call I had with a deer and passed on a safety recommendation to newbies about not swirving in a truck to miss one.

In the same thread, you have said (1) that I think a lot instead of being grateful, (2) expressed amazement at the things I have done in my lifetime, (3) said I come away from industries being the best of the best (a claim I have never made), (4) said I was a Corrections Officer (which I have never been), and (5) said that I am "killing us here" (whatever that means).

I have answered your comments and questions in what I hope is an informative way, but I have to ask, what does any of that have to do with truck safety and deer on the road?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
As a professionel driver,your tought to always have a way out of a situatiion.If not able,then slow down.In the case of deers,I've hit my share,sometimes its not a pretty site.My last encounter with a deer, did $16000 damadge to the truck,6 weeks off work,and I didnt have a chance,good thing I was only doing 45,speed limit was 55.As most of the fedexcc people know,qual com # 55 is only for major accidents with fatalities.Since I couldnt get a siganal on my cell,and I probably was in shock,yep,hit the 55.Dont know how they called me,remember cell had no signal,but when I answered my phone,all I can remember was,party on other end said,"WHO DIED".I tried to explain what happened,in fact had three calls, all the same,from three different people.its been over a year now,and the teeth are still in that my part of my body that only my doctor knows about.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the amount of night driving we do I am surprised more of us haven't invested in a good quality Deer Guard..A one time investment can save a lot of grief.

Inside info from locals: Now that the colder weather is upon us the deer tend to bed down after sundown and graze during the day actually a reverse of habits so the roads should be a bit safer. The other day I got caught out after dark and went 70 miles on the back roads of SD and not one deer even spotted, usually I'd be stopping and starting all along the 70 miles. But there is one less cottontail! Seems they are running alot at night.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>With the amount of night driving we do I am surprised more
>of us haven't invested in a good quality Deer Guard..A one
>time investment can save a lot of grief.
>

Yep... I suggested the same earlier in the thread.

Many don't like the look with them installed, but those same folks won't like the look after an incident either. <shrug>

Animal protection bars are a no-brainer in my books. No lengthy research and compilation of statistics required on whether to get them or not... they are standard equipment on our trucks.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE%3A Hit The Deer

I once saw a Brown Bear on a local road in PA. Now I would not want to hit the bear and get him ##### off.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, here we go again. RichM has inside knowledge about my situation that he half reports here and then says, "Best to leave the rest alone." How special.

RichM has sent me private messages in the past mocking the fact that I once sold Jesse Ventura bobblehead dolls and seemingly thinking that was a bad thing.

Why would it be bad? It was one of the most fun things I have ever done. We came up with the idea, sent out a press release, had a news conference, got mobbed by reporters who published the story nation wide and spent a whole lot of time trying to keep up with demand.

Need proof? Google "Jesse Ventura bobblehead, New York Times" and "Jesse Ventura bobblehead MPR". For those curious about me and Jesse Ventura (since RichM saw fit to bring it up), see my bio at:

http://www.successfulexpediters.com/Madsen/BioMadsenPhil.htm

What Weave saw was a supply of dolls in my garage that were left over from the rush days. I purchased them from the official committee that marketed them first. I peddled them online and through word of mouth, a few dolls or cases at a time, to make some extra money. I had other sources of income that Weave never knew about. So what if I sold bobblehead dolls? How does that relate to expediting in any way?

When Weave came to my house to visit, I did not know that he was there to investigate me and my activities. Bobblheads, Rich? Did Weave go through my medicine cabinet too? How about my toilet paper? Did he note the brand? It's a good thing the roll was not empty. RichM might claim I don't use the stuff.

RichM? what possible purpose can it serve, to bring this up? News flash....Before he became an expediter, Phil Madsen sold Jesse Ventura bobblehead dolls. Did everyone get that?

PHIL MADSEN SOLD JESSE VENTURA BOBBLEHEAD DOLLS

(He did a darn fine job of it too, but that does not seem to be the point. The point, I guess, has something to do with deer on the road. Ignorant me, I'm missing the point. I guess one just has to be a able to read between the lines RichM writes.)

It's all good. Moderators, please do not delete the thread. While the reason escapes me, it seems to be of vital importance that all EO readers know that I once sold Jesse Ventura bobblehead dolls.

Come to think of it, I still have a few around. Interested collectors can have one for $100 and I'll pay the postage and tax. Or go to eBay and get one for less.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well now, that's interesting. I respond to a piece RichM posts and his post quicly turns into something about a black bear. But the original post (I have a copy) had nothing to do with a bear.

That's OK. If moderators are going to leave my reply intact, I ask that they leave this explaination intact too. My reply makes no sense in the absense of post RichM put up and to which I responded. I'd only ask readers to understand that I'm not talking into a vacuum here.

If moderators wish to delete my reply, that's fine too, since the post from RichM that prompted the reply is not gone.

I trust that the moderators who discuss such things behind the scenes will see the provocative nature of Rich's post, and that it came out of the blue.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
>So what if I sold bobblehead dolls?
>How does that relate to expediting in any way?
>

I suppose trucking is more profitable than selling bobblehead dolls?

<shrug>

Paul: Never sold bobblehead dolls in case anyone is wondering. :+

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some time ago, I was in WV just driving down the road and as look over and see a small brown bear on the side of the road. Someone really hit this guy and ripped it up. I think that it don't matter if it is a deer, bear, antelope or bison - they all can do some real damage and cost big bucks (pun intended) to fix the truck.

But my closest encounter was with an Elk out west. I missed him by a few inches and happy that I did.

Phil,
Maybe you remember this from your Army days that repetitive practice under adverse conditions is the only way things stick with people so that can use them in bad situations. I remember when I took my training for sleep deprivation and human response at the Army’s center for medical research (I forget the name of the place), the first part of the class was to get a clear understand about the psychology of intense training and exercise and the how the US military uses primary and secondary teaching methods to instill in the minds how to react followed up by some sort of practice sometimes in very stressful and intense situations. No one remembers unless they are put into that situation and it is something that becomes instinctive and reactive.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Phil,

Sorry I took it down this path. But ponder this, have you ever had a failure? Cause all I can remember is one success after another after another.

Thats what I mean you are the Man. In your own mind and writings as others interpert them, its one success after another. Heck I had to fail to get between Expediting and where I am today, but boy if you would have told me three months ago and two weeks I would be where I am today I would have even HUGGED you.

Someday I would enjoy taking you up on the offer on how I got from point A to B cause the way it happened I am still in dissbelief.

You have never had a failure to end up in a better position?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>You have never had a failure to end up in a better position?

Of course I have. If all you remember me talking about is one success after another, you are not remembering the failure part of the stories I write. Setbacks is the more accurate term.

Most of the time, Broompilot, not all of the time, but most of the time, I succeed in what I set out to do. The reason is I have a pretty good idea of what I am trying to accomplish (clearly defined, written goals) and I do not quit when mistakes are made and setbacks occur. I am also not afraid to try something new. And I am self-confident (arrogant) enough to believe I can succeed.

The clearest example of how that plays out in my life is the Jesse Ventura internet thing. (This does relate to expedting success, so bear with me as I tell the story. Since RichM brought up the Jesse thing, I'll continue the theme.).

Having never done a web site before, I volunteered to do one for the Jesse Ventura for Minnesota Governor campaign in 1998. The fact that I did not know how to do a web site did not matter to me. I believed I could learn. The fact that there was no money to pay for a web site did not matter either. I figured I could overcome that obstacle too.

Note that while I knew absolutely nothing about developing web sites at the time, I went ahead and declared myself to be a webmaster. It was not a declaration of what I then was. It was a declaration of what I had committed myself to become.

The word "delcare" is important here. I use it in the very same way America's founding fathers used it when they signed the Declaration of Independence. On the day they signed it, they declared America to be free. They did not mean that America was that day free. They meant they had committed themselves to making America free.

The word "committed" is also important. I did not make a casual committment. I made the kind of committment the founding fathers made. "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

From work done before, Jesse knew me as a trusted and results-producing friend. Once he gave me the nod, my very next step was to set goals for the web site. I wrote them down to keep me and others on track. The goals were to produce volunteers, money and votes for Jesse Ventura and Mae Schunk (his running mate).

While I did not set specific numbers of volunteers, money and votes, these were quantifiable goals. As the web site and our audience grew, I would be able to tell if our volunteer and money count was rising or falling. The votes number would have to wait until the November election.

Note my focus here. The goals I did not set were as important as the ones I did. I did not set goals to have the coolest looking site, the most technologically advanced site, the most politically correct site or even the heaviest traffic site. I was laser focused on producing three things....volunteers, money and votes.

It mattered not a bit to me that internet geeks would ridicule me when they saw my primitive and backward site. I was not online to promote me. I was online to promote Jesse Ventura and Mae Schunk in a very specific way...a way that would produce volunteers, money and votes.

With clear goals set, the next step was to learn how to do a web site. That was easy. Not needing to know anything more than the basics (remember the goals I did not set), I purchased web development software that was designed for web-ignorant people like me (Microsoft FrontPage).

A few hours after bringing it home, I had a real-live, one-page web site up on the internet. That was a breakthrough moment for me. I ran upstairs, brought Diane back down to my home office, pointed to monitor and proudly said, "Honey! look what I did!" She smiled politely and went back upstairs to continue her reading.

Anyone with even a thimble full of web development knowledge would have said, "You're proud of that?" But I was, because I saw past the pathetic looking web page to the whole new world the internet was and the incredible potential I could now access with my keyboard.

I took some serious heat from certain geeks that became jealous of my position and/or had strongly-held views about what a web site should look like and how "real" webmasters don't use FrontPage. Some of them grouped together and talked among themselves about the things that were wrong with me. One even took proactive action to get me banished from the campaign.

That criticism affected me no more than rain affects a duck. I was focused on producing volunteers, money and votes. While some of it was unpleasant, I passed off the criticism as background noise and did not let it distract me from my goals.

Fast forward to November, 2008. Jesse Ventura's third-party election vicory shocked the world. I did not know it, but in terms of volunteers, money and votes, no one in the world had ever before produced the online political results I had.

I also did not know that some very important people in some very important circles were paying very close attention to how this new communications technology, the internet, was being used in American politics. Remember, in 1998, the internet was still an emerging technology.

After the election, I was invited to Harvard University to speak about what I did and how I did it. All the bigs were there; national reporters, top political activists from inside the Washington beltway, major-university schoolars and others.

Whle I was one of several pannelists that spoke, the people absolutely loved and zeroed in on the story I told...no previous experience, total web site expense of $600, and results that every polictal operative would love to have.

Having reviewed all other political internet activity of the 2008 campaign season, these people declared that the Jesse Ventura was the first major campaign to make effective use of the internet, and that the techniques I developed were instrumental in the victory.

In Feburary, 2008, I opened a newly-purchased box of software and sat down in front of my computer to do my first-ever web page. Nine months later, I was a world-renowned expert on using the internet for political gain. For the next year, I was the man of the hour at speaking events and in news shows and articles about political use of the internet.

While those were fun days, I knew they would not last even as they were happening. I was not willing to move to Washington, which is what it would have taken to capitalize on my success. I was not in politics to make it into the beltway. I was in politics to make a difference.

A few years later, I reached my limit with politics, eased out of it, and sought more routine jobs in the technology sector. With only entry-level technology skills to offer, it was time to make a declaration once again. That is another story which did not end in failure, but did not amount to much before trucking interrupted us and later came into our lives.

Now, lets take some of these story elements and apply them to the expediting success Diane and I now enjoy, and the expediting success I believe other declaration-oriented people can also have.

Before a friend gave us a ride in a big truck, it had never entered our minds to become truck drivers, but the ride got us thinking about it. After several months if industry research, and after discovering expediting via the EO booth at the Mid America Truck Show in 2003, we knew expediting was for us.

Same story, different field of endeavor.

Having no experience whatsoever in expediting, and having never driven a truck before, we DECLARED ourselves to be expediters. It did not matter that we did not know how to do it. We had enough self-confidence (arrogance) to believe we could figure it out.

Making the delcaration did not instantly put CDL's in our pockets and turn us into expediters. It did set in stone a personal committment to become expediters.

As we continued our reasearch one of the very next things we did was to set clearly defined goals. They were to (1) increase our income, (2) simplify our lives, (3) spend more time together, (4) share in a business project, and (5) see the country.

Goals 2, 3, and 4 would pretty much take care of themselves when we started living and working in a truck. Goals 1 and 5 led us to FedEx Custom Critical White Glove Services(r). From our research, we knew that White Glove drivers are among the highest paid in the expediting industry (goal 1), and that FedEx Custom Critcial runs freight in 49 states and Canada (goal 5).

With that discovery made, we set an intermediate goal to become White Glove drivers. Notice again, the goals we did not set. We did not set out to become cool cowboy boot wearing truck drivers that talk trucking jargon the CB. We did not set out to be the best of the best (whatever that may mean). We did not set out to have the biggest, baddest truck out there or to collect truck show trophies. We did not set out to be well-liked or popular among truckers. We set out to achieve five very specific goals that we chose for our own personal reasons.

As in the Ventura campaign, expediters who had more experience than us and/or had strongly held opinions about what "real" expediters should and should not be doing criticized us. Some tried to convince us to give up. Some tried to oust us from EO. . As before, while some of the criticism was unpleasant, we dismissed it as background noise and remained focused on our goals.

Fast forward to today. Compared to jobs we had before, we found expediting to be the easiest, most lucrative and most fun work we have ever done. Because we were COMMITTED to becoming the expediters we DECLARED ourselves to be, it was easy for us to find our way into the groove. We did not argue with the industry. We did not argue with the freight. We figured out what it takes to succeed as expediters and changed anything and everything in our lives that kept us from doing so.

Have we had failures as expediters? One could say that, but I don't. A setback only becomes a failure when you quit. Maybe the reason I don't write about failure in this business is because I don't consider a setback to be a failure. In my mind, a setback is not a failure. It is a challenge to overcome. And since we have overcome every challenge we have faced as expediters, there are only setbacks, not failures to write about.

Like you, Broompilot, I did not know that trying to do one thing (produce volunteers, money and votes for Ventura/Schunk, or earning $150,000 a year as expediters) would lead to something so much bigger (world-renowned expert, or earning much more than we first thought possible). But it did.

Such things do not happen because you or I were lucky. They happen because, when an opportunity arose, you and I stood prepared to sieze it. Like you, Broompilot, we do not quit. And like you, supprisingly good results came to be.

So what does this mean for others who wish to succeed as expediters but have never driven a truck before? It means:

1. Declare yourself to be what you want to become.

2. Set clear and specific goals, and write them down.

3. Commit to those goals the way the founding fathers committed to their country.

4. Take action as if you really meant what you said when you made your declaration and set your goals.

5. Be open to the possibility that things may turn out grander for you than you ever imagined.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"In Feburary, 2008, I opened a newly-purchased box of software and sat down in front of my computer to do my first-ever web page. In November, 2008, I was a world-renowned expert on using the internet for political gain. For the next year, I was the man of the hour at speaking events and in news shows and articles about political use of the internet."

OMG Phil, you are also a time traveler.

I knew it!

I just KNEW IT!

This is why you can claim that LUCK has nothing to do with your 'success'.

:p

FYI, there are no 'experts' in IT, sorry.