Hino Nightmare

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
KG: I can sure empathize with the 'pinball in an earthquake' feeling, (just ricocheting from one disaster to the next, sigh), and I hope your luck turns for the better, now.

hinotks

Seasoned Expediter
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problems with my Hino338 ...Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Sturgil

TKS Transportation Services LLC

motrucker

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same issues with one of my 2005 338's. I own three and have had problems with all of them. The truck would run fine for 100 miles, then the check engine light would come on, and the engine was restricted to about 45 mph. I took it in 4 times. They realy had no idea what was wrong. They replaced the ground wires, they replaced the ignition. They finally replaced the turbo and the problem went away. This happened at 39 months, so it was not covered under warrenty. I had another truck break down in Knoxville, Tn. this month. The tip of a injector broke off and ruined the engine. They wanted $14,000 to fix it. This truck is 40 months old, so once again no warrenty. I asked them what they would give me for the truck the way it sat. They said $0, and I owed them $1300 for finding out what was wrong. The dealer I bought it from towed it home and gave me $3100. The 3rd truck had the transmission rebuilt at 180,000 miles, it was not covered under warrenty. I've had many trucks over the last 10 years, but these are the worst. All three have less than 300,000 miles. They have all had major problems. I would not recommend these trucks to anyone.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Hino would make for a great expedite truck if you could spec a Detroit, Cummins or MB engine, a Spicer transmission, Meritor rear end and a Western Star cab.

blackf3504dr

Seasoned Expediter
I just read where Hino was voted the most reliable truck engine for 2008 ... Obviously none of you who own Hinos were contacted ..... Kinda makes one wonder who they talked to (just like political polls) . :rolleyes:

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I just read where Hino was voted the most reliable truck engine for 2008 ...

reliable (rĭ-lī'ə-bəl)

adj.
2. Yielding the same or compatible results in different clinical experiments or statistical trials.

Hmm. I guess an engine light and loss of power every hundred miles could be characterized as reliable. Technically...

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I drove a new Hino 338 for a fleet owner for 6 months. In that time It broke down 4 times with Hino never finding out what was really wrong. Even when the check engine light came on and they finally got to it several days later, they said no warranty because there wasn't any indication that the check engine light really came on. We spent a total of three weeks in hotels (the owner paid) so we stayed at the cheapest we could find to help him out. Before we drove for him, we applied for the no-down...deal and even with a credit score in the high 700s we were declined. (Too new to the business)THANK YOU HINO FOR DECLINING OUR APPLICATION ANY WAYS, THE FUEL ECONOMY WAS REAL POOR, RED LINED AT ABOUT 69 AND REQUIRED THE CO-DRIVER TO GET OUT AND PUSH to make it up hills. The owner lost his business because of these trucks. I can only hope that enough of you victims can get together and seek legal remedies to recoup your loss. BTY I thought it was a little odd when they advertised this truck buy showing a picture of a toilet and not the truck...but it now makes sense to me. For those who haven't had any problems, you are more than blessed...you are the CHOSEN ones.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm... Ya know, not long ago, there would have been Hino owners passionately defending their decision to get that truck after reading things like this. Could it be that none are that happy anymore?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I quess along that same thought as to whether anyone has seen one of these hit the three or four hundred thousand mark?
And is actually still running trouble free?