hey

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I am going to say that I am so suprised.

Don't take this personal bambam, I mean that the owner of the truck is not going to be there with her, take a test drive with her and make sure that the investment that they made is not going to end up in a ditch somewhere a few miles down the road. I would not in any way shape or form hand over a truck (not a van) to someone without a road test and regaurdless I would question the wisdom of the company itself for allowing this to happen. The words Safety First should mean something.

Also I think that there is a need to define secure locations, a few that I have been in would not allow anyone arrested let alone convicted on the property regardless what the purpose of their visit is. I think that some places only look at your drivers license and record who you are - very few actually take is serious enough to run a back ground check when you arrive to pick up or drop off. Even some military bases lack real security and many pass people through with a lack of credentials - a BOL gets you far in some places.

As for the company, I would like to know what company she is driving for (maybe it is obvious by the words Medina). I hope it is not FedEx! They did have some one drive for an owner without ANY experince and look at what happened with that.

I wish her the best of luck and hope she keeps safe in her travels.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I expect this post will rub some the wrong way .... but here goes .....

Entirely too much missing data ...... and too many assumptions in this thread .... and others.

First, the assumption is made that she has had no drug testing done - maybe I missed something but was that ever specifically stated somewhere ?

I dunno about anyone else's experience but I have done three drug tests in the last 12 months ...... none of them were done on company premises and all were done by testing centers that were part of a regional chain (multi-state.) I would think it would be a simple matter to locate such a facility in a prospective driver's home state and have the results forwarded to the home office.

Then calling the driver "totally unqualified" ( ...... a real morale booster there:( ) ...... I suppose if one means that someone from the company hiring her hasn't personally put her thru a road test .... I could possibly buy into that viewpoint.

If it means she is "unqualified" as far as her ability to operate the vehicle safely then I just can't buy into that ... at least not without some further data. I mean she did say that she had almost a years experience driving a 24' straight truck .... if it was 1500mi/week .... that's alround 70K miles of driving experience ....... she won't qualify for any million-miler awards .... but it's not nothing either ..... especially if it involved any city driving.

Possibly a recommendation from a previous employer regarding her driving ability was taken to into consideration. I think that's why some companies ask for that sort of thing ....

She does possess valid Class B CDL .... if I read correctly.

It was mentioned that the owners wouldn't be there with her .... I dunno why not .... she's picking the truck up in Lodi and then heading to the company offices in Medina - not exactly a cross-country haul .....

She stated in another thread that she expected to be driving by herself by the third week in February .... that leaves her a week for some orientation, training and a road test if needed.

As far as having no experience in winter weather .... well I hope that doesn't mean there will be a ban on potential truck drivers from southern states until they have experience (which of course they will never be able to get because they will need experience before they can ever be allowed to drive .....)

And there was a comment in another thread in the Women's View forum that she had no valid physical card, Again I never saw this posted anywhere by her .... could be I missed it. She does have a Class B - I would assume that if she needed a Class B she would have needed a valid DOT physical card as well .... but what do I know .....

As to NOOBS not knowing industry-specific terms such as "B-Unit" ..... yeah so what ? If we knew it all already we wouldn't be NOOBS ..... ;) That's why we're here - to learn.

And finally to the matter of the felonies - first keep in mind she was totally upfront about this on EO - and apparently with her prospective employers. She wasn't witholding it or trying to cover it up.

Secondly, there are two guys up in Boston right now that are facing felonies and up to 5 years imprisonment for hanging up lighted signs of cartoon characters around the city. If hanging lighted signs up is a felony offense that can merit taking away 5 years of someone's life there is something seriously wrong with the law. One can have whatever opinion one wants of the perpetrators of the sign hanging - but one thing is for sure the fact that these guys were charged as they were says far, far more about the intelligence and common sense (or lack thereof) of law enforcement officials and the civil authorities, than it does about the two individuals and their character.

Sure, the two guys are a little "weird" (in my book at least) but it was law enforcement and the civil authorities that "wigged out" and over-reacted - thereby creating a need to "punish" these two (and the companies involved) to justify their own over-reaction (..... because the devices had circuit boards and batteries ..... heaven help some poor fool that gets stopped by these types and has the wiring for their inverter setup noticed or looked at) Given that this marketing campaign occurred in I think 9 other cities without the local authorities going ballistic and going to DEFCON 1, one truely wonders about the ability of some to LOOK, SEE, & OBSERVE

Although I have no personal experience myself, I can see where it might be possible to wind up with a "felony" on your recond and not have it mean you're a thief or murderer.

To end on a somewhat postive note it's really great to see the info and help that almost everyone has passed along to bambam .... I'd imagine that takes a little something to do what she is doing. ..... give her a break already.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
She's driving for Designers Transport Group . She named the company in her first post . I admire her attitude and determination . It's the company I have serious doubts about .

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
My husband and I worked for Transportation Designers Group for a year, we were leasing the truck. When we first started working for TDG everything was great. But as most of you know, the owner fell out of grace with the company he had all his trucks leased on with. So we made the move to FDCC. The owner made us pay all the costs of switching companies, which we were fine with. We had friends who were doing well with FDCC, but for some reason we came at bad time (that is what our contract coordinatior told us). The owner of the truck did not pay for anything, since we were leasing the truck. But he took all the perks from FDCC that we earned. We found out about them by accident. (Once again our CC slipped up and told us) When it came time to do our taxes, we found that we made less than $20,000 for the both of us, and were would be out for 6-8weeks at a time. Then my father-in-law's alzheimers was getting worse, and my mother-in-law needed help. We decided to pack it in and get off the road. We started putting in applications near home, and when my husband finally got an offer, we gave our two week notice. Well alot of good that did us. The owner of TRANSPORTATION DESIGNERS GROUP kept nearly $1500.00 of our pay. He said that we didnt take care of his equipment, we asked them to let us take it over to his office, so he could inspect it but he refused, he had us drop in off at FDCC in Green, Oh.

We are currently sueing TDG for our wages. So if anyone was to ask me if I would recommend working for TRANSPORTATION DESIGNERS GROUP, I'd have to say NO WAY, unless you are rich and didn't need your money, when you needed to move on.

I want to wish you best of luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They use to be at Panther, and I am sure you made better than 20,000 for a year, or he was cleaning your clock big time.
20,000 a year at Fedex still seems pretty low for a team. Something doesn't sound right.
What in the world were you paying for?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
well im not leasing the truck i just drive so i psy for nothing he is relpacing the fridge and radio tommorrrow so ill have a good truck you had to lease that might have been your problem

god bless keep rolling

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
We had the lease payment, fuel, any other expenses that are incurred with a truck. We were laying over or deadheading to get loads. So after all of our deductions we only cleared 20,000 for the both of us. We were stupid, now are a whole lot wiser.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Did he "move" you to FXCC? Or did he suggest it? I would cite that if he chose where your truck was signed on, he changed the rules on you. In fact, an owner could sign his truck, which is being purchased by the drivers, onto a company that isn't as profitable for the drivers in order to force them out of the agreement. I hope that made sense. LOL

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
im not leasing anything so they are paying every thing the only thing i have to do is drive

god bless $ keep rolling

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno. Third base!

BamBam, you've done a lot of due diligence here. This could be the red flag you really need to be concerned with. These folks did have personal issues that were part of whatever happened. I know this is not what you need at this point, but better now than 2 months down the road. Ask questions. Many questions.

paid2vacation

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Highway Star for your response. I was trying to tell this guy what we experienced with Transportation Designers Group. I never in my wildest dreams thought Carl would treat us this way. But it really opened my eyes to him and I will tell the world if I have to to keep others from getting screwed.

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
ive also talked to poeple the say carl is the best and they would never leave hin i guess i just have to wait and see couse i can get hired with any body else for 3 yeqaars cause of my felonys so i guess im goint to have to tuff it out

god bless and keep rolling

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
How can you hire a driver who never drove on snow,you know 75% of the loads are in the states with a lot of snow? This is unprofesional and if is a company who hire you and let you go out there to risk your life and others,this is a very bad company.I hope will not going to be on the same road in the same time.x( :'( }>

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
i know i can do it i must to take my time and be csareful if it gets to a point that ican not i will pull over im not risking my life for a job but how are you going to learn anything unless you do it ????????

god bless and keep rolling:9 :9 :9 :9

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just take it easy, and listen to your inner self. If your intuition is telling you to stop then stop.

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for all your hepl i might be heading to trenton michigan to alumi bunk to get a few repair before i head out

god bless and keep rolling

tbird165

Seasoned Expediter
I sent you a private message with my contact info bambam. Message me back when you can good luck and be careful out there.

tbird165

Seasoned Expediter
I dont know what happened but me and my wife have been with Carl for going on 3 months now with no complaints and like the other person posted we have talked with 4 other drivers one being a husband and wife team all have been with carl atleast 2 years or more and 2 of the 4 are lease/purchaseing with him and had nothing but very good things to say about him. I mean why would someone stay with an owner much less 4 peaple 5 if you include the team for 2+ years if he screwing peaple over that just dont make sense. Even the company that his truck is signed onto that I drive for they even praise him. So in my opinion I think there is more to this story.