Health Insurance - FDCC

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wow Phil and Linda, what's next - OVM and Juju?

Wrong.....Express 1 does...thru PDIP.....E-1 collects the money....there is Castastrophic health coverage as well as eye and dental....

Sort of wrong there Ken, I won't get into it but the state they operate at already has said this is sort of a no no.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow Phil and Linda, what's next - OVM and Juju?

Sort of wrong there Ken, I won't get into it but the state they operate at already has said this is sort of a no no.

Well Greg...there isn't a group discount or anything...because we now pay the premium ourselves and the price is the same...E-1 might have been getting kickbacks or some sort of "bonus" for doing the collecting...

sort of a no-no?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the kick back thing - yes a no no but group rates are usually negotiated with a broker and passed onto the contractors as an option with the contractor footing the bill 100%.

There is one contracting house that gives it to the contractors as part of the perk but truthfully it is kind not on the level.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well the kick back thing - yes a no no but group rates are usually negotiated with a broker and passed onto the contractors as an option with the contractor footing the bill 100%.

There is one contracting house that gives it to the contractors as part of the perk but truthfully it is kind not on the level.

So what you are saying..if (example) we are paying $100 per month...E-1 might have only passed on $90 to the insurance company....A neat $10 profit on everyone that participated..

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No info yet on FedEx Custom Critical's advertised "Access to Health Insurance."

I presume Azcot is busy absorbing new information and possibly running, as new contractors often are immediately after orientation. That is understandable.

No contractor has risen to provide supporting information (proof) that the health insurance program was made very public some time ago. A few people who would have been reasonably expected to have seen very public information have said no such information has been seen.

The only person who offered to provide information did so before even becoming a contractor. Does it strike anyone else as strange that it has fallen to a newer-than-new newbie to answer an inquiry about publicly advertised "Access to Health Insurance?"

The question about very public information being distributed in the past is settled. It did not happen. The question about advertised access to health insurance remains open.

FedEx Custom Critical is now advertising in at least two trucking publications, "Access to Health Insurance." What does that mean exactly?

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
No info yet on FedEx Custom Critical's advertised "Access to Health Insurance."

I presume Azcot is busy absorbing new information and possibly running, as new contractors often are immediately after orientation. That is understandable.

No contractor has risen to provide supporting information (proof) that the health insurance program was made very public some time ago. A few people who would have been reasonably expected to have seen very public information have said no such information has been seen.

The only person who offered to provide information did so before even becoming a contractor. Does it strike anyone else as strange that it has fallen to a newer-than-new newbie to answer an inquiry about publicly advertised "Access to Health Insurance?"

The question about very public information being distributed in the past is settled. It did not happen. The question about advertised access to health insurance remains open.

What exactly does "Access to Health Insurance" mean?

Could be a flyer placed in the orientation paperwork that lists websites, agents, and sources for obtaining health insurance - that qualifies as 'access', when you learn the lingo of adspeak. :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Could be a flyer placed in the orientation paperwork that lists websites, agents, and sources for obtaining health insurance - that qualifies as 'access', when you learn the lingo of adspeak. :D

I would hope the company would be more serious than that. Health insurance is an important topic to many people, especially those who do not now have it. It would be a very cruel thing to do to people to advertise access to health insurance and then hand them a list of web sites when they inquire, or worse, after they make a carrier choice thinking health insurance is accessible.

I don't think that is the case. All we know for sure at this point is that "Access to Health Insurance" is advertised and no one yet has been able and/or willing to explain what that means.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
"after they make a carrier choice thinking health insurance is accessible" - ATeam

What says that it is NOT accessible? While I agree that if (and it's definitely just an "if") steering to outside insurance vendors was what the intent of the bullet point in their recruiting ads was, was a tad cheesey, Cheri's point is that it IS access. Much the same as you have today...even as a contractor for another carrier.

Would it offend you equally if Landstar said the same thing in their ads?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Would it offend you equally if Landstar said the same thing in their ads?

It does not offend me that FedEx Custom Critical advertises "Access to Health Insurance." It puzzles me that no one can explain what it means.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The appropriate place to discuss FedEx Custom Critical health care plan information access is within the FedEx Forum. Additional information is available in the FedEx Forum for FedEx contractors.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The appropriate place to discuss FedEx Custom Critical health care plan information access is within the FedEx Forum. Additional information is available in the FedEx Forum for FedEx contractors.

I read your post in the FedEx forum about health insurance. FedEx Custom Critical is advertising, right now, in trucking publications "Access to Health Insurance."

Are you saying that it is inappropriate for members of the general public who read these publications to ask what the company means by "Access to Health Insurance?"

Linda, this is one of the most simple and straightforward questions someone could ask about FedEx Custom Critical. And given the vague nature of the advertised statement, it is a reasonable question to ask. For clarity, and to cut to the chase, I'll ask it again. It's a simple question. Can a simple answer not be offered?

When FedEx Custom Critical advertises "Access to Health Insurance," what does that mean?

(p.s. If it turns out that it was a simple error to advertise the words "Access to Health Insurance," it would be just as simple to come clean and say the company does not provide access to health insurance, and then say the statement was made in error, and to apologize for any confusion the errant statement caused. Such errors are readily forgiven by most people when they are readily confessed.)

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The only thing I could suggest to someone not currently leased to FedEx Custom Critical is to call a recruiter.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The only thing I could suggest to someone not currently leased to FedEx Custom Critical is to call a recruiter.

Do you know the answer to the question?

The question is not about a controversial subject. It is not a trade secret. It is not insider information. Why are you so mum?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am not mum on the subject. I provided the necessary information for a current contractor to get the information they may seek concerning access to the health care plan information. I also suggest that any non FCC contractor interested in this information may call an FCC recruiter; the number is 1800.944.8690.

I am not a FedEx Custom Critical spokesperson so I prefer to let the company give out the information for people that need to know.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Since it has come to this, I have a call in to recruiting. Will also send a message to media relations with a link to this thread and a copy of the ad, and ask them for an official explaination of "Access to Health Insurance."

I am not a company spokesperson, but am capable of accurately and objectively stating the facts about a publicly advertised benefit. It is potentially exciting news that a carrier offers access to health insurance. The details would interest many readers, I believe. The OP wanted to know more. I do too.

The question is, "What does Fedex Custom Critical mean when it advertises "Access to Health Insurance?"

If no one offers anything sooner, the answer will follow after I track it down.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is the weekend so it will be Monday at the earliest before I am able to discuss this with people at FDCC.

Information received so far indicates that "Access to Health Insurance" means nothing more than a link to a web site and a telephone number to an insurance broker that makes itself similarly available to the general public.

More to follow.

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I don't know why this is being treated like a state secret, simple yes or no, with a quick explanation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I don't see the big rub about things here, many people who enter into this world do not know where to look for insurance and FedEx is extending their program of helping get the access to the insurance to those who are contracting with them. The information may sound secretive or it may appear to be a case where it is but the best thing to do for those who are looking at the ads and need to find the information is to call FedEx directly, not depend on third party info.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I hardly think its a huge secret, or big deal. I dont know how other companies do it. The simple answer is Fedex provides a link to a preferred provider, (broker?). This came out again in the company newsletter this week.

At the link, I entered our age, etc, and was given several plan options ranging in price and features, deductibles, co-pays etc. Very
y much a full menu of choices from $150-$500 a month. Also, there were a few "limited coverage" options for those who would have trouble qualifying. These were more catastrophic care plans, similar to what OOIDA has.

So, I guess Fedex doesnt 'provide' a group plan, but this "broker" does seem to have better rates than Ive seen on similar plans.

Anymore specific questions would have to be addressed with more qualified persons.

Ive told you what I read, without seeing anything that would be "proprietary info". Hopefully this gives a better idea. It is there... and at what I would consider a fair price. Is it the same as what other "brokers" charge or provide? I have no clue.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I hardly think its a huge secret, or big deal. I dont know how other companies do it. The simple answer is Fedex provides a link to a preferred provider, (broker?). This came out again in the company newsletter this week.

At the link, I entered our age, etc, and was given several plan options ranging in price and features, deductibles, co-pays etc. Very
y much a full menu of choices from $150-$500 a month. Also, there were a few "limited coverage" options for those who would have trouble qualifying. These were more catastrophic care plans, similar to what OOIDA has.

So, I guess Fedex doesnt 'provide' a group plan, but this "broker" does seem to have better rates than Ive seen on similar plans.

Anymore specific questions would have to be addressed with more qualified persons.

Ive told you what I read, without seeing anything that would be "proprietary info". Hopefully this gives a better idea. It is there... and at what I would consider a fair price. Is it the same as what other "brokers" charge or provide? I have no clue.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dale

Panther offers the same thing threw a broker.