Health Insurance - FDCC

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Cool. Ive never had to shop for insurance, so didnt know how others did it.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I hardly think its a huge secret, or big deal. I dont know how other companies do it. The simple answer is Fedex provides a link to a preferred provider, (broker?). This came out again in the company newsletter this week. ...

Ive told you what I read, without seeing anything that would be "proprietary info". Hopefully this gives a better idea. It is there... and at what I would consider a fair price. Is it the same as what other "brokers" charge or provide? I have no clue.

Thank you, Dreamer. That is the simple answer to the simple question I was trying to obtain.

I don't know why this is being treated like a state secret, simple yes or no, with a quick explanation.

People treat information in one of two ways. This little radio ditty is a bit off topic but explains well the two approaches to information seen in this thread.

Regarding the yes/no answer to health insurance (as distinguished from "Access to Health Insurance"), the answer is no. FedEx Custom Critical has no health insurance plan that is available to contractors by virtue of them being FCC contractors. There is no enrollment period, insurance provider, discounted rate, eligibliity rules or other health plan services that most people would understand a bona fide FCC health insurance plan to include.

In the recruiting ad that the company runs, "Access to Health Insurance" means nothing more than a referral to an insurance broker that makes itself equally available and offers the same products to the general public.

In the way the term is used in the ad, I too provide access to health insurance because I published the link to that broker in a post above. While I'm at it, maybe I should provide access to truck financing by posting links to finance companies and access to discounted truck repair by posting links to truck dealerships who run oil change sales every now and then.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... notice the http address when you click and open the link.

I noticed that too. Yet when I click the link that was provided to us by FedEx in 2008, it takes us to the identical web site without customcritical appearing in the URL.

The most recent URL provided by FCC is customcritical.healthinsurance.com. The one provided in 2008 is healthinsurance.com. What lies behind the change? I do not know.

It remains the case that clicking on either link takes you to the identical content and that nothing in the quote getting process is exclusive to FedEx Custom Critical contractors.

For fun I tried panther.healthinsurance.com, DeadAndBuried.healthinsurance.com and Martians_With_Cancer.healthinsurance.com. These links took me to the same web site.

Phil_Provides_Access_To.healthinsurance.com also works.

Since we are in the business of stretching the meaning of words, let's carry it a step further and say that access to health insurance means access to UNIVERSAL health insurance. This "plan" is offered to anyone in the universe, including dead people, Martians with cancer and FCC contractors.

On a more serious note, the web site itself provides helpful information and can be a good place to begin one's search for health insurance providers. However, I would not stop there. It may be possible to learn more and find better options by visiting face-to-face with your friendly neighborhood insurance agent who specializes in health care coverage.

Last edited:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I noticed that too. Yet when I click the link that was provided to us by FedEx in 2008, it takes us to the identical web site without customcritical appearing in the URL.

The most recent URL provided by FCC is customcritical.healthinsurance.com. The one provided in 2008 is healthinsurance.com. What lies behind the change? I do not know but my GUESS (notice I said GUESS) is a referral fee that is paid by the insurance broker back to FCC for any business the broker gains off the customcritical link.

It remains the case that clicking on either link takes you to the identical content and that nothing in the quote getting process is exclusive to FedEx Custom Critical contractors.

My guess would be the same as yours, or at the very least a way for Marsh to track the effectiveness of advertising in certain publications, or to gauge niche demographic interest ?

I didnt see anything that eludes to driver, IC, or FedEx CC expertise/experience either. Not to say that they lack knowledge in their field.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
For fun I tried panther.healthinsurance.com and Martians_With_Cancer.healthinsurance.com. These links took me to the same web site.

Since we are in the business of stretching the meaning of words, let's carry it a step further and say that access to health insurance means access to UNIVERSAL health insurance. This "plan" is offered to anyone in the universe, including Martians with cancer and FCC contractors.

I thought you were joking..until I clicked the links. How bizzare that You would have an active link like that ! Perhaps it was a test of some sort. They should deactivate that link and perhaps a web presence targeted @ driver,expediters, etc. if they are going to preface their URL with customcritical, perhaps FedExCC wants to distance themselves from any possible liability that may occur by recommending that firm ?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I thought you were joking..until I clicked the links. How bizzare that You would have an active link like that !

Notice that I edited my post above to eliminate reference to a guess about referral fees. When I discovered that you can type anything ahead of "healthinsurance.com" (anything.healthinsurance.com) and get referred to that web site, the referral fee theory was discarded.

Last edited:

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Notice that I edited my post above to eliminate reference to a guess about referral fees. When I discovered that you can type anything ahead of "healthinsurance.com" (anything.healthinsurance.com) and get referred to that web site, the referral fee theory was discarded.

Duly noted. That makes more sense to me, pretty savvy of them (Marsh) to set up the URL like that. Thanks for edit/clarification.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Duly noted. That makes more sense to me, pretty savvy of them (Marsh) to set up the URL like that. Thanks for edit/clarification.

More savvy still for Marsh to grab the healthinsurance.com URL, provide good content and channel traffic like they do. Sharp operators, those folks. Other sites of interest to people shopping for health insurance include ehealthinsurance.com and healthinsuranceusa.com, but what a difference a name makes.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nevertheless, if FedEx Custom Critical contractors have access to it and it affects them, then the appropriate place to discuss FedEx Custom Critical health care plan information access is within the FedEx Forum, where it can only be discussed by FedEx Custom Critical contractors. It's kind of like snow in that regard. You know, snow.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The appropriate place to discuss FedEx Custom Critical health care plan information access is within the FedEx Forum. Additional information is available in the FedEx Forum for FedEx contractors.

Why is discussion of a carrier's advertised benefits "inappropriate" for anyone not contracted to that carrier? :confused: Isn't it in everyone's best interest to have [nonconfidential] info readily available?
For me personally, if I have to call to inquire as to the details of an advertised offer, [ie: price of vehicle for sale] I simply cross that one off the list. I assume they're withholding some details that they want a salesperson to divulge, in order to counter objections.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

The most recent URL provided by FCC is customcritical.healthinsurance.com. The one provided in 2008 is healthinsurance.com. What lies behind the change? I do not know.

For fun I tried panther.healthinsurance.com, DeadAndBuried.healthinsurance.com and Martians_With_Cancer.healthinsurance.com. These links took me to the same web site.

Phil_Provides_Access_To.healthinsurance.com also works.

Since we are in the business of stretching the meaning of words, let's carry it a step further and say that access to health insurance means access to UNIVERSAL health insurance. This "plan" is offered to anyone in the universe, including dead people, Martians with cancer and FCC contractors.

On a more serious note, the web site itself provides helpful information and can be a good place to begin one's search for health insurance providers. However, I would not stop there. It may be possible to learn more and find better options by visiting face-to-face with your friendly neighborhood insurance agent who specializes in health care coverage.

As you have Greg on ignore, you probably didn't notice that he also has fun with stretching the meaning of words: his sigline includes Professional International Traveler, which means he's taken loads to Canada. Eh? :D