Headlight longevity

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The more light, the better, for the driver. Those super bright bulbs are a problem for on coming traffic. There is a need for a new type of windshield glass that will filter out certain types of light to allow for brighter lights. It is impossible, from a drivers point of view only, to have too much light. That is assuming no fog or other light reflecting issues. Multiple headlights for different conditions too. I LOVE light!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout take some time to stand in front of your headlight with the high beams on with your eyes wide open a few inches away from the light and tell me how well you can see after you stop looking at them. It does not matter if I'm headed towards them or on front of them, misaimed lights are a hazard.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Layout take some time to stand in front of your headlight with the high beams on with your eyes wide open a few inches away from the light and tell me how well you can see after you stop looking at them. It does not matter if I'm headed towards them or on front of them, misaimed lights are a hazard.

Greg, I am well aware what misaimed lights are like to on coming traffic. I am well aware of what starting at others brights are like too. As I said before, FROM THE DRIVERS VIEW, ONLY! Geez.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The more light, the better, for the driver. Those super bright bulbs are a problem for on coming traffic. There is a need for a new type of windshield glass that will filter out certain types of light to allow for brighter lights. It is impossible, from a drivers point of view only, to have too much light. That is assuming no fog or other light reflecting issues. Multiple headlights for different conditions too. I LOVE light!

Yes, the more light, the better to see those frikkin deer. Until we render them extinct, we need MORE LIGHT!

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, the more light, the better to see those frikkin deer. Until we render them extinct, we need MORE LIGHT!

--

I would be easier for you to just not drive where the deer live! :p

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Greg, I am well aware what misaimed lights are like to on coming traffic. I am well aware of what starting at others brights are like too. As I said before, FROM THE DRIVERS VIEW, ONLY! Geez.

I'm NOT talking about on coming traffic, I'm talking about driving with someone behind you and you have spotless mirrors and windows

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm NOT talking about on coming traffic, I'm talking about driving with someone behind you and you have spotless mirrors and windows

All am saying is that, FROM A DRIVERS POINT OF VIEW, it would be hard to get too much light. We NEED an entire NEW way to provide light for driving. It really should not be that hard.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yeah yeah I got what you said but lighting is one of the things we are sooooo behind in. Nevertheless, the problem is with those who can't seem to get why the truck or car in front of them is swerving in the lane.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Blast from the past; 01-17-2007 Trucks Passing In The Night
Actually moot, I find that turning on and off the headlights at night is not as effecive as flashing the highbeams, which the highbeams reflect off of a sign or vehicle a head of the truck, lessen the chance of them not seeing it and I want them to see it.

(high beams)I'm NOT talking about on coming traffic, I'm talking about driving with someone behind you and you have spotless mirrors and windows

Nice to see you finally decided that high beams in your mirrors can be somewhat annoying.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I too got tired of replacing the silverstars about every month or two and found the Phillips bulbs would last three to four months in my M2. I bought myself a Christmas present last year and put these Bosch Xenons as found here;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9006-HB4-Ph...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item53ebaa8f90#ht_7212wt_802

Nice clean installation in my low beam position, supposed to be US DOT compliant, less wattage draw into the inverters and supposed to last longer. It took some doing to adjust them down enough as not to blind folks but one other problem I see is that headlight housings are apparently designed for the bulb type, HID or not, and when you install HID's into a housing meant for halogens, retina searing light deflects out dangerously in the wrong areas. Not sure what the answer is with the DOT compliance thing, but someone needs to come out with a mod so as to contain the HID light waves in non HID housings, maybe something like what I see on the Jeep headlights in my MASH reruns, or maybe crack open the housing and install some flat black metal panels in various ways to cover some of the wavy mirror finish inside.

Another challenge for the future down time in my man cave.....

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately, those are the ones I can't use without the retrofit. Hard to believe any vehicle is still made with sealed beams, but mine was.

--
I had sealed beams on my Ford. I replaced them with these and they work well.
2 pcs "Hella 003427011 190 x 132mm Series H4 Type Single High/Low Beam Headlamp"
Automotive; $40.66 each.
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
They replace the original rectangular bulbs. There is a mounting hole in the rear for the new style H4 bulb sold at Walmart for about $9.
It took a few tries to get them aimed just right but now they are fantastic.
The results are amazing, literally night to day.
Yes, I aimed them low so as not to blind other drivers.
Anyone having trouble seeing (and staying awake) at night might consider this conversion.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The maximum wattage, not brightness, is what the laws specify, so these Ultras burn bright and hot, and they naturally won't last as long as the much cheaper, dimmer, and cooler bulbs.

I have found just the opposite to be true. My Silverstar Ultras burn cooler than the Sylvania Xtravisions I was running to the point of not melting freezing rain and wet snow that accumulated on the lenses. The Silverstars also burn much cooler than the 55W H-3 bulbs in my driving lights and fog lights.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run the Silverstar Ultras, which are brighter still than the Silverstars. Two months is a little quick, as I usually get 4-6 out of mine.
They do have a one-year warranty on them. Send the old bulb, receipt and (I think) packaging back to Sylvania and they'll replace it.

I replaced my Silverstar Ultras last week. I got a little over 3 months life from them. Only one failed, but I returned both (2-pack) to WalMart where I purchased them and got cash back. I carried the packaging and receipt with me and had no problem returning them.

I already miss the light output of the Silverstars. I am considering switching back to them and just replacing them every 3 months.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I replaced my Silverstar Ultras last week. I got a little over 3 months life from them. Only one failed, but I returned both (2-pack) to WalMart where I purchased them and got cash back. I carried the packaging and receipt with me and had no problem returning them.

I already miss the light output of the Silverstars. I am considering switching back to them and just replacing them every 3 months.

That's what I'm doing. It's annoying replacing them every 2 months, and other drivers flash me all the time, so I guess I need to re-aim them. But I just can't go back to the pathetic regular headlights I had.

We must shop at different Wal-Marts. I can never find them there. They carry the regular H6054s, I've found, but I have yet to see the high-output Silverstar sealed beams.
--

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We must shop at different Wal-Marts. I can never find them there.

I'm running 9006 lamps for low beams. I just bought and installed a new set of Silverstar Ultras this afternoon from WalMart. I think I will just exchange them every 3 months for new ones.