Trucks passing in the night

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I have a bad habit of flashing my lights when a truck is passing me to tell them they can come over. I know that some think that flashing your lights mean someone is behind you, move over but as I was learnt how to drive from old truckers, I will flash.

Well lately I wondered why in the world that many truckers do not plan their lane changes and don’t look ahead. I would think that if they are safe operators (which I know many are not) they would at least see that there are slower vehicles in the lane they are passing and not change lanes and end up making another lane change – follow me?

So I did a quick experiment, the other night I flashed 20 trucks that passed me to find out how many changed lanes without thinking, more like a reaction to the flash. (Yes I was very bored and lack a car kit for my XM radio so what else could I do!) out of the 20, I found 15 made a lane change and then made a lane change back to pass another vehicle that was going slower within 300 feet. Out of the 5 who didn’t, and out of the 15, 2 flashed back and only 7 flashed back respectively.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, I hope by flashing you meant turning your headlights off and not blinding someone with the high beams.

If there is no immediate traffic behind the truck that is passing me I won't bother to signal. Especially if there is slow traffic in the right lane in front of me.

During the day I will flash the high beams to signal a truck back over. Because it's just a simple pull of the turn signal salk.

Many fleet spec'd trucks aren't wired to kill the trailer lights. I used to run a jumper wire from the black wire terminal to the brown wire terminal inside of the tractor plug. When the marker light switch was turned off ALL lights on both trailers would go out. Some trucks the headlights must be turned off to kill the trailer lights to say thank you.

In my van alternating of the turn signal, right, left and right works for a thank you.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I also like to flash trucks to move over as our truck is not set up to shut our head lights off. One night a truck turned his working back up lights on me and I was blind for several feet. Scared me to death.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I personally would rather have no signal than the death ray. It seemed just as I would look in my mirror to see if I cleared I would get the bright lights. See Spots. See Spots run. ARF!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually moot, I find that turning on and off the headlights at night is not as effecive as flashing the highbeams, which the highbeams reflect off of a sign or vehicle a head of the truck, lessen the chance of them not seeing it and I want them to see it.

Oh after reading your second post moot, I have to add I try really hard to see the persons face or any outline of shadow in their mirrors so not to blind them.

The headlights during the day time seems to be more noticed than the highbeams are, I can't figure out why but more trucks will lanechange if I turn off the headlights during the day opposed to flashing them.

I have been trying to figure out the how to hook up an interupter switch in this truck for the rear lights, the wiring is there but the people who put the truck together seem to have had a different idea on how to wire the truck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah Greg the highbeams will definately get their attention. So will airplane landing lights.

You can buy a spring loaded interrupter switch and wire it to your marker light switch. Or if you have a seperate switch for marker lights and running lights you could jump those with the spring loaded switch and turn off all lights on the box.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Yeah Greg the highbeams will definately get their attention.
> So will airplane landing lights.

Ok you convinced me, I will mount the last two remaining landing lights I have on my truck - they only draw 30 amps each and make night into high noon daylight. I was saving it for my '68 Dodge but I see that this would be more entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem I have with the interupter switch is that the relay and wiring are there and so is the jumper that the factory on the plug behind the panel but the box light wiring disappears in the cab and I have not found the time (or the heat to keep me warm right now) to get under and do a full trace.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think it used to be possible to flash the brights without blinding someone, but it's not anymore: headlights have gotten way too bright for that. I turn mine off/on to signal the ok to move back in front when I'm passed, and say "thank you" to someone else with a left/right turn signal flash.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Think about this boys and girls.

If you flash your lights,or give some other signal that it is ok to return to the lane...You can be liable for an accident should he have one.

This was told to me by an off duty Police Officer.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
The best way to do it is to turn your lights off then back on after making sure there is enough room for the truck to get back over. I have heard many drivers on the radio complain about other drivers flashing with their high beams and blinding them. They would rather not have them flash at all. As for a thank you after someone lets me know that I have cleared them, I just flash my 4-ways a couple of times.

Fr8 Shaker

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Redy, I understand that we could be considered at fault if we were "directing traffic", so I never motion another vehicle to go ahead when I want them to get out of my way, I just practice my dumb look, till they go, lol, but I don't see how an accident could happen if there is enough room for the passing truck to move over?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Cheri,
I had one today that was really angry with me when I would not wave her by. Never mind that she just had to get out of the driveway and pushed her car into the path of my truck with a greenlight for me. She was on the phone and flipped me off when she almost got clipped by the 45 plus MPH cars in the other lane.

As for flashing, I decided that turning off my lights is more of a hazard for me than quickly flashing my lights.

And

I don't understand why I have to turn off my lights when I get into a truck stop. Had someone complain that my lights should be off when I pull in. But the problem is I can't see when there is a lack of lights, like at the pilot off of exit 4 I465 in Indy.

Well When I get home, I will have all my lights added so I can make daylight out of the night ;-)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have always turned my headlights off when approaching a manned toll booth or guard shack after dark. I guess that's just old fashioned courtesy.

As for the highbeams, if you feel unsafe briefly turning the headlights off it may be better to not signal at all. Highbeams should be reserved for low traffic rural two lane highways.

Turnning headlights off in a truckstop parking lot is another courtesy issue. But safety should come before courtesy. Use your discretion.

One more thought on lights. In my van I carry an ALD (address location device) That's what my daughter calls it. I call it a BFL (bright... ahh never mind) anyway it's a hand held rechargable spot light. Great for seeking out street signs and addresses. For you big riggers a permanent swivel mount spotlight is a good investment.

LET THERE BE LIGHT, WHEN NECESSARY

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When I was training in a big rig, my trainer told me never to flash someone over, nor to take a flash to mean it's safe; because it is the driver's responsibility to safely control his own truck. He also told me drivers will flash someone over who isn't completely past, so his truck will be hit... hence, new truck. Using someone's flash to assume it's safe is hazardous when not using your own judgement. I always speed up a little before I get over when someone flashes me. Never a problem.

I think the cop who said you could be liable for flashing another truck over is wrong. You can't take the responsibility of another driver to control his rig away by flashing a light. It's up to him to make the safe call, not count on someone else to drive his truck. Same thing if someone guides you into a parking spot. If you hit something, it's your fault.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Redbird Girl

Seasoned Expediter
BEWARE OF FLASHING!!!!
I have always flashed on/off @ night mainly if visablility is bad, like rain spray/fog. but back when I ran big rigs, I had just woke up and switched drivers,I had just enough time to do the log and pour a cup of coffee,I pull out and this bull hauler flashes for me to come out.I say thank you on the cb he says as he passing me that I don't sound like I look and I say I just woke up no coffee yet and no smoke.I flash him over. Then he slows down.I pull around and he says as I'm comming up by his door that we will just keep flashing back & forth to keep each other awake I say yea what ever. I thought he was talking about headlights,...I did not know you could bring your waist that high up in a flat top cab. Needless to say he was loaded heavy and I hauled b**t out of his range, so beware of flashing!!!!

Redbird Girl-LIVESTRONG-LIVE LONG
http://groups.msn.com/RedBirdGirlSnowball/_whatsnew.msnw

Say what needs saying & Do what needs doing because you never know about tommorrow!

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
When first starting (18 mo. ago) I flashed high beam briefly since our 2005 truck has daytime running lights. It was a nice feeling to get a response as the truck returned to the lane and gave me a sense of being "in touch" with another human being during a long night on a lonely road. Since reading all the complaints and belittling as "a newbie that ain't got a clue" I have stopped. Sometimes I feel like it would be easier to be accepted into a "High School girls click" than the "Good ole' Boys Club". That’s OK. I enjoy reading the info, and have finely got the courage to let my opinion out. Peace to all and if you're passing me you're on your own.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think this is meant as a good ol' boys club. Have you ever looked back in your mirrors and had someone hit you with the bright white light?

My personal opinion is if you can't turn your headlights off and then quickly on then do nothing. Or use the CB.

If you want to make the good ol' boys happy flash them something else. But not the high beams.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Moot Greg drives a 99 General Motors Product. In 98 all General Motors products headlights go on at dusk one cannot turn them off manual. Thus he is left with a quick flash of the highbeams for being courtious, I would rather a 4 wheeler do this for me.

As for Thawks response, he is 100% correct. Read any States Drivers Manual for getting a lisence. You are responsible for the vehicle in which you are operating. If someone else guides you into a lane that another vehicle is comming in it is still your fault for turning in front of the vehicle, even if someone else yelled, signaled, or otherwise told you the coast was clear. Your action caused the accident regardless of others reccomdation or advice.

The orignal post of years ago, well is wrong. This is a rehash of two years ago.