Headlight longevity

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The headlights I recently replaced were on the van since I've had it--about two years. I've been expecting them to go out, but they wouldn't. I wanted to replace them because they didn't provide much light. Any time somebody passed me, their lights were so much brighter than mine. So after finding out I couldn't install actual HID lights unless I did a retrofit behind the grill, I got the next best thing: Sylvania Silverstars, about 40% brighter than standard, and the difference was substantial. That was less than 2 months ago.

Yesterday, I notice my driver's side headlight is out. Surely, no headlight lasts less than 2 months, right? I figure maybe I just got a bad one. I go back to the auto parts store, and the guy tells me, "Welllllll...they don't last very long." The other guy behind the counter backed him up on it.

Has anyone else had headlights that last less than 2 months? I refuse to believe this is anything close to normal.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About 4 years ago I replaced the stock low beams on my van with Silverstar 9006. The illumination was great but they only lasted a few months. I tried to return the first burned out bulb to Checker Auto with the receipt and was told to go through Sylvania.

Bought another 2 pack, (silly me) thinking I had just gotten a bad bulb. The other light failed a few weeks later. In all I got about six months service from 4 bulbs. Called Sylvania somewhere in Canada and got the run around.

I have noticed that the Silverstar packaging has changed since I purchased mine. Is the product new and improved?

AMonger, above is a post from 2009 detailing my experience with Silverstars in my Chevy van. I was very impressed with the light output, both brightness and beam width. Less impressive was the short life span. In December I had $51.41 burning a hole in my wallet and bought another pair of Silverstars, only this time I bought the Silverstar Ultra. It has been a little over 2 months and they are still working. I bought these at Wal Mart and as you can see, I carry the packaging and the receipt with me. If this set fails prematurely I will get my money refunded and give up on Silverstars. I will keep you posted.
IMG_0674.jpg

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
There are two types of silverstars.. The ones that last forever.. and the ones that go about 2 months.

so it is normal for them to die like that. depending on where you bought it you should be able to exchange it with proof of purchase.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately, those are the ones I can't use without the retrofit. Hard to believe any vehicle is still made with sealed beams, but mine was.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, the ones that last are the ones that I got rid of because they don't put out much light. Maybe I have to check out some other manufacturer, or just do that retrofit so I can get regular HIDs.

--

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I run the Silverstar Ultras, which are brighter still than the Silverstars. Two months is a little quick, as I usually get 4-6 out of mine. The maximum wattage, not brightness, is what the laws specify, so these Ultras burn bright and hot, and they naturally won't last as long as the much cheaper, dimmer, and cooler bulbs. The only way to get brighter out of the same wattage is to burn hotter, and hotter burns out faster. Sorry.

I'd much rather have the brighter headlamps, even with having to change them out more often, than deal with the dimmer lights.

They do have a one-year warranty on them. Send the old bulb, receipt and (I think) packaging back to Sylvania and they'll replace it. I've never taken advantage of the warranty, though. I keep saying I will, but I never do. I just keep buying them in 2-packs and making sure I've always got at least one spare in here.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'd settle for 6 months, given how much brighter they are than stock. But less than 2 months? Ridiculous.

--

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I bought the Silverstar sealed beams for my van. The package promised significantly better coverage as well as significantly better light color and output. They did have better color but not a huge difference. They did seem a little brighter but not much difference really side by side with the oem bulb. I turned the drl off as often as I thought about it, saving them for night time. Even so, I got maybe 4-5 months out of them. I switched back to the oem bulb and other than the yellower color don't see much difference. Three decades ago I had a set of Cibie lenses and put a set of 80/100w bulbs in them. Those were headlights. My next van will likely be Sprinter or maybe Nissan and have the hid headlights which seem to give excellent lifespan and lighting.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, we noticed both. Silverstars don't last very long but they are noticably whiter and brighter. Our only advice; if you run them, you'd better carry a couple of spares always!

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, we noticed both. Silverstars don't last very long but they are noticably whiter and brighter. Our only advice; if you run them, you'd better carry a couple of spares always!

We have the spare behind the seat. I change the drivers side light about every 6-8 weeks. We bought the van in May and I have changed 6 headlights. It's a pain, but ya do what ya gotta do. Still cheaper than an EGR valve on a Sprinter. At least this is one fix I can do without taking it to the shop. Still, it makes me crazy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do some of you guys think something should last as long as a regular commuter?
We drive hours longer...we wear things out quicker then they are designed for....light bulbs and wiper blades...heck we can drive for 48 hrs with our wipers on...what is that like 2yrs to a commuter?....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have the spare behind the seat. I change the drivers side light about every 6-8 weeks. We bought the van in May and I have changed 6 headlights. It's a pain, but ya do what ya gotta do. Still cheaper than an EGR valve on a Sprinter. At least this is one fix I can do without taking it to the shop. Still, it makes me crazy.

at 20 bucks a crack?....no it is not cheaper....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I'm comparing this longevity to the longevity of the bulbs I had previously, which lasted 2 years of expediting plus however long they were on the van before we got it.

--

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm comparing this longevity to the longevity of the bulbs I had previously, which lasted 2 years of expediting plus however long they were on the van before we got it.

--

Just pokin ya Al....I know....I went back to the cheap bulb for a Sprinter...not as bright but only 10 bucks and last for years....I tried the Silverstars and they were scorching (turned yellow)the inside of my lens cover I guess because of the heat...which was diminishing the light they gave off...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Headlight technology has really advanced...i think DOT should be really looking at re evaluating the amount of light given off....they are getting way TOO bright...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Headlight technology has really advanced...i think DOT should be really looking at re evaluating the amount of light given off....they are getting way TOO bright...

I think the dot has, they tried to put a stop to the use of hid kits and some cheap 100 watt bulbs but it comes down to the lack of progression in lighting and harmonization with the rest of the world. The other problem is that most look at brighter being always better when it isn't.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the dot has, they tried to put a stop to the use of hid kits and some cheap 100 watt bulbs but it comes down to the lack of progression in lighting and harmonization with the rest of the world. The other problem is that most look at brighter being always better when it isn't.

Think light sensors..I know great more sensors....the darker it is the brighter they get, up to the legal legal....some people are just to finicky...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Honestly I think a lot of people are lazy and don't want to pay attention to the road.

But... Nothing worse than to have a Fill in the blank van coming up behind you being overloaded so to blind you for the 6 minutes it takes for then to pass you. Then you find out that the owner of the van put in some 75/100 watt bulbs and have been using the brights so he can see because he is frickn blind. If you think I'm making it up, I'm not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Honestly I think a lot of people are lazy and don't want to pay attention to the road.

But... Nothing worse than to have a Fill in the blank van coming up behind you being overloaded so to blind you for the 6 minutes it takes for then to pass you. Then you find out that the owner of the van put in some 75/100 watt bulbs and have been using the brights so he can see because he is frickn blind. If you think I'm making it up, I'm not.

Oh..I believe ya.....in the last year the use of brights and people not turning them down has increased greatly....