Hazmat's Ford TerraMaxx

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Door sticker reveals a 12500 limit, but would have to log for that weight, and dual wheels has not been an issue, as yet.
You should have the owner get the GVWR de-rated from 12,500 pounds to 10,000 pounds. This can be done by an upfitter or the manufacturer of the body. Even when empty, you are required to log in your van since its GVWR is over 10,000.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
You should have the owner get the GVWR de-rated from 12,500 pounds to 10,000 pounds. This can be done by an upfitter or the manufacturer of the body. Even when empty, you are required to log in your van since its GVWR is over 10,000.

Gray area here? Expressed to the safety department and owner, would not run that 12500 freight, unless willing to log. Matter of fact, I downloaded the logging software thinking I would have to.

The van is listed and licensed for 10,000. Hmmm

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No gray area. The manufacturer's GVWR placard on the door frame rules. Different states have different weights on their plates for tax purposes. Until a few years ago my Minnesota tags stated something like 12,000 pounds. That was just a convenient tax category. I was still legally limited to the manufacturer's GVWR of 9600 lbs.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You mentioned in a previous post: "and dual wheels has not been an issue, as yet." If you're running a DRW unit, I would think that to be a red flag for LEOs. It kinda shouts...hey I'm over 10,000.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
You mentioned in a previous post: "and dual wheels has not been an issue, as yet." If you're running a DRW unit, I would think that to be a red flag for LEOs. It kinda shouts...hey I'm over 10,000.

Yup. That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Don't wish to hijack this excellent thread with my issue.....so I'll send you a PM? Thanks Moot :D

Last edited:

Oatmeal

Active Expediter
Could you post a link to the Superchip and what was the final verdict on it?

In all my searching I've only found one chip/ tuner for the 2 valve 5.4 offered in the E vans. It is 5 Star tuners and the go to guy is Mike. He offers a tuner with 3 different tunes for about $500.

Thanks.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Just got through surfing a few tint law websites. Seems most states allow recoprocity, some don't. The MO laws are showing 35% and that is good in all but just a few states anyway. You may have trouble in NY or CA, but the rest seem like you'll be ok.

Tell that to the DOT cop in Lordsburg, NM, where I receive d a citation because of the Federal regulations concerning tinting. Admittedly I was in a tractor/trailer, but tinting does not always carry the weight of the licensed state.

49 CFR, 393.60(d)

(d) Coloring or tinting of windshields and windows. Coloring or tinting of windshields and the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver is allowed, provided the parallel luminous transmittance through the colored or tinted glazing is not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence in those portions of the windshield or windows which are marked as having a parallel luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent. The transmittance restriction does not apply to other windows on the commercial motor vehicle.

Just sayin ....

DCH474

Rookie Expediter
Commercial vehicles are limited to 70% on the front windows, the rear windows can be as dark as you like. With the factory tinting already in place you are almost stuck using a UV tint that is about 10%. It will reduce your inside temps, but doesn't give much privacy. Hazmat, excellent job with the build. What was the result of your motel vs. cot study?