Hazmat's Ford TerraMaxx

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Rocket!!!
After talking with my local law enforcement buddies, they said tinting goes back to the state of origin in which your vehicle is licensed... My tinting meets Missouri Regs...
Just got through surfing a few tint law websites. Seems most states allow recoprocity, some don't. The MO laws are showing 35% and that is good in all but just a few states anyway. You may have trouble in NY or CA, but the rest seem like you'll be ok.

I need to do mine.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
*Update*

Well I have about 20,000 miles on the truck now...
So far the truck has been liked by all and the load securement configuration has been able to handle all the different types of freight...
Everyone seems to like the led loading lights and the ease of loading and unloading pallets...
I've hauled everything from an envelope to 14' long 2" dia. electrical conduit...
The truck has plenty of horsepower and drives extremely well with over 2,000 lbs. of freight...
The only setback has been the mpg's...
The best I've gotten has been 14 mpg one time, but most often its between 12.50 and 13.50...
So today I installed a superchip and tornado air intake system on the truck for $580 bucks...
If everything works correctly I should see a minimum increase of 15% and maximum of 30% increase in mpg's...
With that said, I should have a positive return on my investment within 2 to 4 weeks dependent upon the actual fuel useage (and what freight I get within those weeks)...
My next step to squeeze a few more mpg's will be to switch out rearends from the 4.11's to 3.73's and then readjust the superchip to the new configuration...

Hopefully I can report back in a couple of weeks with a positive update...

That's all for now, Hope to see you on the road...

guido4475

Not a Member
*Update*

Well I have about 20,000 miles on the truck now...
So far the truck has been liked by all and the load securement configuration has been able to handle all the different types of freight...
Everyone seems to like the led loading lights and the ease of loading and unloading pallets...
I've hauled everything from an envelope to 14' long 2" dia. electrical conduit...
The truck has plenty of horsepower and drives extremely well with over 2,000 lbs. of freight...
The only setback has been the mpg's...
The best I've gotten has been 14 mpg one time, but most often its between 12.50 and 13.50...
So today I installed a superchip and tornado air intake system on the truck for $580 bucks...
If everything works correctly I should see a minimum increase of 15% and maximum of 30% increase in mpg's...
With that said, I should have a positive return on my investment within 2 to 4 weeks dependent upon the actual fuel useage (and what freight I get within those weeks)...
My next step to squeeze a few more mpg's will be to switch out rearends from the 4.11's to 3.73's and then readjust the superchip to the new configuration...

Hopefully I can report back in a couple of weeks with a positive update...

That's all for now, Hope to see you on the road...

Can't remember...is your's a single or dual rear wheel? If it is a dual, than you're doing real well on mpg's.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Hey Hazmat. 20,000 miles @ 2 more mpg would have gotten two 3.73 gears. Just off the top of my head about 2400 in gas savings.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hey Hazmat. 20,000 miles @ 2 more mpg would have gotten two 3.73 gears. Just off the top of my head about 2400 in gas savings.
I got $600 over 20,000 miles....still well worth it if there is 2 mpg increase.

Hazmat....I dont remember...and without going back through the thread, did you change to synthetic oil? That gave me about 1/2 mpg increase. Cant wait to hear your results!

guido4475

Not a Member
So you're right where I am at, running around 65.I was going to have my Ford master senior mechanic friend change my gears to 3:73's also, but he said I would lose in mpg's because on the highway, or going through the mountains,It would labor too much, and go back and forth between overdrive and drive.So, I'll take his advice.Did you try a flow master muffler? I took the cat off of mine also, and put a resonator in it's place, because it was too load with just a flowmaster by itself.That helped alot.I love the way mine runs, more than enough power from all different aspects.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Hazmat....I dont remember...and without going back through the thread, did you change to synthetic oil? That gave me about 1/2 mpg increase. Cant wait to hear your results!

oops, guess my adding machine in the brain moved the decimal.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
So you're right where I am at, running around 65.I was going to have my Ford master senior mechanic friend change my gears to 3:73's also, but he said I would lose in mpg's because on the highway, or going through the mountains,It would labor too much, and go back and forth between overdrive and drive.So, I'll take his advice.Did you try a flow master muffler? I took the cat off of mine also, and put a resonator in it's place, because it was too load with just a flowmaster by itself.That helped alot.I love the way mine runs, more than enough power from all different aspects.

I guess he has an argument but I've done the changes in two C/Vans w/6.0 engines and gained 2mpg in each one. Now if you go to an even higher range than yes it would. Chevy makes a 3.55 then a 3.42 those would not work. I have a p/up with a 3.42 and it's crap in the hills with a load. I'll never buy another 4.10 ratio.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes, I've already switched over to synthetic oil...

Sent from my MB300 using EO Forums

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Did you put dual exhaust on or leave it at single...

guido4475

Not a Member
Did you put dual exhaust on or leave it at single...

I left it single.Sounds good, but the exhaust smells like an old car with the cat off...lol..

I wonder if a transmisson mounted overdrive unit, like what some RV's have, would work? The best of both worlds.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I left it single.Sounds good, but the exhaust smells like an old car with the cat off...lol..

I wonder if a transmisson mounted overdrive unit, like what some RV's have, would work? The best of both worlds.
The overdrive unit is something that I had in mind for the CargoMax when I bought it. Im not sure how much Hazmat's truck would benefit from it since he has a 5 speed auto. I would love to see one of those overdrive units installed. The information I have found led me to believe that the operation of those units could be more cumbersome than I want. I like simple, very simple, user friendly stuff....especially when dropping 3 grand for it.

guido4475

Not a Member
The overdrive unit is something that I had in mind for the CargoMax when I bought it. Im not sure how much Hazmat's truck would benefit from it since he has a 5 speed auto. I would love to see one of those overdrive units installed. The information I have found led me to believe that the operation of those units could be more cumbersome than I want. I like simple, very simple, user friendly stuff....especially when dropping 3 grand for it.

I thought they were electronically controlled/activated by a switch on the dash? At least some of the R.V.'s I've seen were this way.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I thought they were electronically controlled/activated by a switch on the dash? At least some of the R.V.'s I've seen were this way.
Well...they are. But if I understand it correctly, they have to be continually activated/deactivated as you speed up or slow down etc. Im not real clear on exactly how much input is required over a period of time on a long trip. I like set it and forget it stuff. They may be closer to that than I understand, but I would like to test drive one before I spend my money.

guido4475

Not a Member
Well...they are. But if I understand it correctly, they have to be continually activated/deactivated as you speed up or slow down etc. Im not real clear on exactly how much input is required over a period of time on a long trip. I like set it and forget it stuff. They may be closer to that than I understand, but I would like to test drive one before I spend my money.

Yes, I am under the understanding that they are manually turned on/off as well.I'd use it for the highway cruising, and have it off for all other types of driving.

Of course, there is always the super charger option.....lol...Nitrous, maybe?

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First experiment complete...

2,500 LB. payload driven at 2,000 rpms which is close to 64 mph got 14.3 mpg's

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Second Experiment Run Complete

Almost 1,000 lb. load driving at 65 mph for a 1,500 mile run got 14.7 mpg...

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you very much... It took alot of time, we used 2 layers of 1/4" oak and overlapped the seams, also had to build out the side door area so pallets being pushed wouldn't fall into the step...

Glad this thread was found/offered. Of course I drive for an owner, so can't be too puffed up here. :)

I like how you placed the track in the center, and on the sides. Had not thought about that and forming a T at the doorway to cab is kinda trick. Hmmm, I'll have to do some studying.

The Terra I drive is 160" cargo and does weigh in at around 7200....minus me, but with full tank. It will take 4x40's but have not done it yet. Door sticker reveals a 12500 limit, but would have to log for that weight, and dual wheels has not been an issue, as yet.

It does not have the side door, but came equipped with the hinged out rear doors. Advantage over Sprinter for me?

I like the wheel well spacing at 12.5

It seems to haul 1500 with two pallets loaded to sleeping quarters (105") without affecting steering....much.

5.4 has plenty of power, but you do pay for that. I run it on heavy terrain much like the old ST Hino.....kick it up near the bottom of hill and she'll glide right up with excellent top end speed. (much unlike the Hino at this point :p ) Almost seems like an overdrive.

Bed is built cross ways and plenty of room for a 6 footer. Sprinter had me cramped, and one end of you is going to be uncomfortable, if your 6' tall or above.

These babies are stout. I used to get behind a TT with Sprinter and it sometimes felt like landing an airplane in turbulence. This vehicle does not seem near effected by the lift and shift effect.

There are other advantages, and not to be running down Sprinters at all, but it would be hard for me to go back to one....after driving the Terra.

Not sure how to insulate the roof section, but will stay tuned. Thanks Turtle and Hazmat for getting me over to this thread.

Last edited:

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad this thread was found/offered. Of course I drive for an owner, so can't be too puffed up here. :)

I like how you placed the track in the center, and on the sides. Had not thought about that and forming a T at the doorway to cab is kinda trick. Hmmm, I'll have to do some studying.

The Terra I drive is 160" cargo and does weigh in at around 7200....minus me, but with full tank. It will take 4x40's but have not done it yet. Door sticker reveals a 12500 limit, but would have to log for that weight, and dual wheels has not been an issue, as yet.

It does not have the side door, but came equipped with the hinged out rear doors. Advantage over Sprinter for me?

I like the wheel well spacing at 12.5

It seems to haul 1500 with two pallets loaded to sleeping quarters (105") without affecting steering....much.

5.4 has plenty of power, but you do pay for that. I run it on heavy terrain much like the old ST Hino.....kick it up near the bottom of hill and she'll glide right up with excellent top end speed. (much unlike the Hino at this point :p ) Almost seems like an overdrive.

Bed is built cross ways and plenty of room for a 6 footer. Sprinter had me cramped, and one end of you is going to be uncomfortable, if your 6' tall or above.

These babies are stout. I used to get behind a TT with Sprinter and it sometimes felt like landing an airplane in turbulence. This vehicle does not seem near effected by the lift and shift effect.

There are other advantages, and not to be running down Sprinters at all, but it would be hard for me to go back to one....after driving the Terra.

Not sure how to insulate the roof section, but will stay tuned. Thanks Turtle and Hazmat for getting me over to this thread.

I was planning on insulating the roof the same way I did the walls.... and You're Very Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using EO Forums mobile app