Hazmat's Ford TerraMaxx

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was asked to start my own thread for the Ford TerraMaxx. I will post pictures of the truck as I go thru the upfitting process... The specs are as follows:

It has a 5.4 with an auto 5 speed and 4.10 rear end.
(Will see how we do on milage and can put a 3.73 in for around $1,500...)
Rear door opening of 58" wide x 71" tall...
Side door opening of 44" wide x 72" tall...
Total inside measurments of the cargo area are 168" L x 72" W x 85" H...
The curb weight is 6,775 lbs.

Photos so far...
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg010a.jpg010b.jpg010bb.jpg010c.jpg010d.jpg010e.jpg010f.jpg010g.jpg010h.jpg010i.jpg010j.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im liking it, what's the inside height in the cab area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Very nice and clean install. Do they offer an insulation package from the factory??
Am also interesting in handling characteristics when you load a pallet in the back behind the short wheel base. How does it affect your steering?? I have always liked the look of the new Ford front end but have never owned nothing but GMs. Keep us informed.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im liking it, what's the inside height in the cab area?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Thanks Ziggi, it's 74" at the bulk head doors and goes down to 56" at the front of the seats...

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Very nice and clean install. Do they offer an insulation package from the factory??
Am also interesting in handling characteristics when you load a pallet in the back behind the short wheel base. How does it affect your steering?? I have always liked the look of the new Ford front end but have never owned nothing but GMs. Keep us informed.

Thanks purgoose, yes they offer an insulation pkg. from turtle top, but this one was a demo model that was two years old and never titled... I've always owned GM's also... This is my first Ford since my 65 Ford Falcon and 69 Ford Ranger I restored, many years ago...

65 Ford Falcon.jpg

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
Was that the 64.5 Falcon Futura? If so, it is my understanding that WAS the '65 Mustang test bed .... everything was there except the Mustang body.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was that the 64.5 Falcon Futura? If so, it is my understanding that WAS the '65 Mustang test bed .... everything was there except the Mustang body.

You are correct, had the 289 Gold in it.... Found that out on accident when we were trying to rebuild the engine... The 65 engines wouldn't line up, the 64 engines wouldn't line up. so we sent it to Jasper and they custom rebuilt it and thats when we found out what we had....

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Nice !! Thanks for getting that empty weight too. That has been a source of misinformation on the Turtletop vehicles for a while now.

I love the straight lines and sqaure corners you have to work with inside your van compared to the cargomax. Its obvious that you know how to "build" something. This is going to be one nice van, Im guessing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice !! Thanks for getting that empty weight too. That has been a source of misinformation on the Turtletop vehicles for a while now.

I love the straight lines and sqaure corners you have to work with inside your van compared to the cargomax. Its obvious that you know how to "build" something. This is going to be one nice van, Im guessing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

You are Very Welcome and THANK YOU!!!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Could the side door hinges be re-worked for a wider opening ? Or is that the actual cut-out ?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Could the side door hinges be re-worked for a wider opening ? Or is that the actual cut-out ?
The side doors imo dont matter. Ive never had a need to load anything from the side. In fact, if I could "have it my way" I would opt for a single side door placed exactly where I want it....just enough door to allow entry/exit from the side. If your bed is side to side, the location of it would determine the location of the single door. Of course...its not an option anyway.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
It will probably be a while before Hazmat can speak to this, so I'll tell you how mine does. My Cargomax is set up so that when Im carrying 2 skids, I just load em on the tail end. The first will center over the drive axle, the second one is just inside the rear doors...totally behind the axle. I've carried some 1600-1800lb loads like that without any noticable difference in handling. If there is a heavy skid and a lighter one, I will load the heaviest first.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing it might be more of a concern with the Ford having a much shorter wheelbase?