Hazmat's Ford TerraMaxx

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Could the side door hinges be re-worked for a wider opening ? Or is that the actual cut-out ?

Actual cut-out, but the front half of the side door can open almost against the body and the back half is at about it's max in the picture... The "new" models are supposed to have piano type hinges on them...

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It will probably be a while before Hazmat can speak to this, so I'll tell you how mine does. My Cargomax is set up so that when Im carrying 2 skids, I just load em on the tail end. The first will center over the drive axle, the second one is just inside the rear doors...totally behind the axle. I've carried some 1600-1800lb loads like that without any noticable difference in handling. If there is a heavy skid and a lighter one, I will load the heaviest first.

I'm guessing it might be more of a concern with the Ford having a much shorter wheelbase?

I plan on installing a brush guard and attaching pulling weights to the frontend as needed;)

My real plan was to load over axle and towards the front for heavy pallets and will have room for four 40"ers...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was asked to start my own thread for the Ford TerraMaxx. I will post pictures of the truck as I go thru the upfitting process.
Thank you Haz for the update and starting this specific thread. Nice job on the insulation! What did you finish the walls with? From the pictures it looks similar to what I used, very thin and pliable 4x8 sheets of vinyl for showers and baths.

I noticed the L-track on the walls. Are you planning on getting some L-track accessories like straps or D-rings? They would come in handy, especially since the track is already there. I assume the E-track in the pictures is for the floor. Will this be recessed or flush mount? I guess to recess it would require adding plywood to the floor.

Your actual curb weight seems more realistic than the 6500 lbs. advertised. Does your weight include you and a full fuel tank?

I would think that spending $1500 on switching out the rear end to a 3.73 gear-set would be money well spent and have a short payback time. If you don't do it right off, don't mind being a guinea pig, keep accurate fuel/mileage records and are willing to share all of this info with us, I personally would be very interested in the difference between a 4.10 and a 3.73 fuel wise.

Thanks again and please keep us updated!

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It will probably be a while before Hazmat can speak to this, so I'll tell you how mine does. My Cargomax is set up so that when Im carrying 2 skids, I just load em on the tail end. The first will center over the drive axle, the second one is just inside the rear doors...totally behind the axle. I've carried some 1600-1800lb loads like that without any noticable difference in handling. If there is a heavy skid and a lighter one, I will load the heaviest first.

I understand with your C/Max but the Ford wheel base is somewhat shorter, that's why I was curious. Fords also have a differant front axle design than Chevy. I have heard several people say that their Ford C/Vans are light on the front and handle accordingly. Is the Terra Max built by the same people as the Ultra?? I do like the inside Cargo area more than Cargo Max but don't know anything about the performance of the Ford. I don't know if the 5.4 will match the 6.0 pwr wise, mileage wise or otherwise. Maybe the 4.10 will make the difference in power but I doubt the mileage will be very good. Just a guess this could be a good test to match trucks, hopefully we can get a good comparison on both Ford and Chevy.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot - The walls are being finished with what I call a light weight plastic sign board (like what you see on street corners and real estate agents, etc.)...

I have D-rings for the L-track and have purchased straps that have both E-track and L-track ends...

I also have both vert. and horiz. E-tracks that will be mounted flush to the existing floor... Will then install reflectex insulation and then 1/4" oak plywood ontop of the existing floor making the tracks recessed...

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
According to the PDF spec sheets on their website, the Ford is 158" wheelbase compared to 159" wb on the chevy. What is the wheelbase on your van Hazmat?

Downloads

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your actual curb weight seems more realistic than the 6500 lbs. advertised. Does your weight include you and a full fuel tank?

I'm kinda anal about curb weight. Anal enough to ask again; does your curb weight of 6,775 include you and fuel?

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm kinda anal about curb weight. Anal enough to ask again; does your curb weight of 6,775 include you and fuel?

Sorry Moot, I was taught that curb weight is the empty truck and tare/empty weight is what you weigh prior to loading (from my days hauling contaminated soil, engineers jargen)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, I'll try it again. You stated when you weighed your van, it weighed 6,775lbs. All I want to know is were you in the van when it was on the scale and how much fuel was in your tank.

guido4475

Not a Member
Ford offers wheelbases all the way up to a 195" wheelbase. I wish mine was longer.I have a 138" wb, with a 12' box on it.A friend of mine just bought a DRW Ford, 195 wb, with a 17'6" inside length.Easily can be converted to a SRW, just by changing the rims.And changing the front rims, along with taking the rotor extenders, or whatever you call them, off.I think a Ford is heavier than a chevy on the front just because of the twin I-beam front setup.The 5.4 engine has more than enough power.I know mine runs like a scalped chicken, anyway.I am surprised the rear swing doors are not more popular.A big weight savings, and a lot quieter.But it is a real nice looking and built van, I saw one at that Expedite shin dig in Monroe a few months ago.I loved it.If I remember right, the DRW version does not change the inside space between the wheel wells, but they, the tires, stick out a little further.I can't tell you how much of an improvement side windows make for ventilation and air cross-flow when parked.Makes such a difference on the inside temperature, more tolerable.Makes not running the a/c a lot more feasible.