hazmat loads

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting, 2015. This thread gets resurrected every 5 years.
Sometimes resurrecting an old thread makes more sense than creating a new one. But unlike in the days of yore, people won't be resurrecting old threads without knowing for a fact that they are resurrecting an old thread. Go and try to reply to a thread that's more than a year old and you'll see what I mean. :turtle:

Reactions: rollincoal

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We haul hazmat if it is under 1000#'s. ( no log or scales) Because we are in a van without a bulk head, we only take paint, lithium batteries, etc. We have hauled placarded hazmat a few times if needed but the rate must be really good, or it is going to a great area. We always hold out for a great rate. The last one was 388 miles at $2.00 a mile. Sometimes you just can't say no. I have heard that Ohio is really cracking down on placarded loads but I don't know it that is true. It probably doesn't matter, as long as you follow all of the rules.

Reactions: vandriver2

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a safety thing. there are just some things you don't want in your lap. Without a sealed bulk head any inhailation hazard or anything that eats you face off might be unwise. You never know when you might have to bury the brake peddle or pick Volkswagen parts out of you grill. Those sudden stops get more interesting with 1500 pounds of corrosives trying to join you. Call me funny that way.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Without a sealed bulk head any inhailation hazard or anything that eats you face off might be unwise.
Even a sealed bulkhead isn't legal when hauling something that is an inhalation hazard.

You never know when you might have to bury the brake peddle or pick Volkswagen parts out of you grill. Those sudden stops get more interesting with 1500 pounds of corrosives trying to join you. Call me funny that way.
I have a walk-through bulkhead. It isn't designed to stop heavy objects from entering the cab. That's what straps and blocking are for. It's there to protect me from small loose objects like the open bulk bin of metal stampings and unpalletized boxes.

Reactions: Turtle and xiggi

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup, poisons, inhalation hazards, if you read the full descriptions of each hazard class and division you'll see where a few of them state you cannot haul those in the cab of the truck. Sealed bulkhead or no, the entire cargo van is the cab of the truck.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's why we just haul paint and etc.... Nothing bad cuz it's not
Worth the liability. We have friends that do AA&E in a van. They haul explosives. Not sure the bulkhead will help but the end should come quickly for them if there is a criticality. Stay out of Phoenix. They r shooting at cars on I-10.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only haz-mat I've hauled has been lubricants inside some kind of auto-part. Barely 100 lbs of haz-mat, no placarding. Just messy if it ever got loose.

Way back when I worked at a factory as receiving, I received some nasty stuff. Hydrofluoric acid, nitric acid, that sort of thing. Sometimes one of the barrels had a leak, it had to be packed in an oversize drum and sent back. Ain't no way I want to mess with that stuff again--- the memories from back then don't go away easy.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haul so called hazmat loads in the van only if there under 1001 pounds, then you can run them just like a car driver since you don't need a hazmat license, just a normal c license.