hazmat loads

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even a sealed bulkhead isn't legal when hauling something that is an inhalation hazard.

I have a walk-through bulkhead. It isn't designed to stop heavy objects from entering the cab. That's what straps and blocking are for. It's there to protect me from small loose objects like the open bulk bin of metal stampings and unpalletized boxes.
My Bunk is my Bulkhead, that's for sure! 2x4's and 4x4's...very sturdy.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Possibly toxic to a Driver ....or maybe if in a collision you gave that Wall to Stop it?
Maybe?
I asked the question because many people mistakenly believe that if you have a sealed bulkhead in a van it allows you to carry things like inhalation hazards and poisons. Sealed or not, the entire van is considered by the DOT as the cab of the truck. In the book under Precautions for Specific Hazards, it lists each Hazard Class. Among them...

Division 2.3 (Poisonous Gas) or Division 6.1 (Poisonous) Materials. Never transport these materials in containers with interconnections. Never load a package labeled POISON or POISON INHALATION HAZARD in the driver’s cab or sleeper or with food material for human or animal consumption.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I asked the question because many people mistakenly believe that if you have a sealed bulkhead in a van it allows you to carry things like inhalation hazards and poisons. Sealed or not, the entire van is considered by the DOT as the cab of the truck. In the book under Precautions for Specific Hazards, it lists each Hazard Class. Among them...

Division 2.3 (Poisonous Gas) or Division 6.1 (Poisonous) Materials. Never transport these materials in containers with interconnections. Never load a package labeled POISON or POISON INHALATION HAZARD in the driver’s cab or sleeper or with food material for human or animal consumption.
You're correct...has to be two separate compartments, obviously for safety...like a Trailer pulled by Truck.