Haz Mat test

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Any tips, suggestions or what to mainly study on the test....thanks, in advance...

Jeff

Read the state test manual, it's not that difficult. Most of the questions are common sense. The one's you have to watch are 1) minimum reportable quantity. 2) Bill of lading questions. 3) placard questions. The rest is pretty easy.:cool:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What works for me is spending time studying the manual right before you go in for the test. With the info fresh in your mind you should get it on the first try. Take it seriously though. It is a bit harder than the other tests.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
In Missouri the test is multiple choice. If you fail the first time you can retake immediately if you want. I chose to go home and read some more. There are at least four variations.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Two other things,

The test is common sense.

Watch for the combinations of material too. Get to learn what can't go together.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's multiple choice in Michigan as well. Many of the questions can be figured out with some common sense process of elimination. But, there are enough questions that require specific knowledge to mess you up if you don't study. And, yes, you will get a different test if you need a second try.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In addition to Moot's link, here's a very comprehensive set of Commercial Drivers' License Practice Tests. Eight different versions of the HAZMAT test. Read the manual, study it, then take the tests. Until you can correctly answer all of them with ease, you need to keep studying.

When taking the tests at the DMV (or on the practice tests, for that matter), if you are presented with a question you are unsure of what the answer might be, always keep in mind that the HAZMAT regulations are designed for the safety of:

you
others around you
and the environment

in that order. Very important.

The answer to nearly every question can be ascertained as long as you always keep that in mind.

jball64

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks all,
The Ohio test is multiple choice and i have been reading and taking some of the online practice tests that you guys listed.

I am taking it very seriously. This is one thing that if you dont take care of business on, your lack of knowlege could affect lots of people.

Jeff

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
And on a lighter note, the last time I renewed my license a Mexican Gentleman came in told them he could not speak English. They gave him 10 questions orally and pasted him. I asked the lady, I thought they had to read and speak English to get a CDL. She told me that was discriminatory, everyone that passes gets a license.
OH BOY!:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And did you ask her name and ask for the manager of the DMV to see why they are allowing their workers to break state/federal laws?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oddly enough, it's not illegal to give the test in a foreign language. The FMCSA states that in order to be able to obtain a CDL, all you have to be able to do is, "read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;"

Nothing in there about the testing. In Kentucky you have your choice of 22 languages in which to take your test. In California it's 32. Six states offer testing in at least 17 languages. It's insane, I know. An oral test can be administered instead of a written test, if it is requested. It's nuts, right? Interesting article in Landline about it a few months ago.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Have you ever asked a government worker a question like that and gotten a straight answer?

Actually yes, and Yes. It isn't hard when you ask them questions and tell them that their answer isn't acceptable. Just ask for the manager.