Gps device

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
I have some vans running broker loads. I don't have quallcom. Anybody know a good and not expensive GPS device to track the vans? Thank you

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The lowest end Garmin, wherever you find the best price, [WalMart, usually] will serve well. It's what I started with, and upgraded only because I wanted the one that plays audiobooks.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think that is what he is talking about Cherii. I THINK he is looking for a way to track his trucks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wait - track the vans? :confused:
GPS tracking isn't cheap, but it can be done on the cheap using a smartphone, Google Maps and Google Latitude. But that does require driver cooperation, as it depends on the driver enabling the GPS and Latitude and keeping it enabled all the time (which is a killer drain on a smartphone's battery, so they'll need to keep the phone plugged in a lot).

Other options are Child GPS Tracking devices, and those specifically for vehicles. Nearly all of them require a monthly fee. With GPS tracking you get what you pay for. The good ones are expensive, the bad ones are cheap.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
have ur driver down load google latitudes on their phone or laptop...its free....there are other apps out there too....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I had vans running for me I would have a GPS cranial implant chip clause in my contract. You could charge drivers an extra fee as part of the sign on costs. You could do the implants yourself rather than send a driver to a clinic or hospital and save money. All you would need is the GPS chip, an electric drill, rubbing alcohol and some bandages.

If you would prefer the non-invasive route check out this blast from the past. Below is a link to other links that may or may not be useful.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...-using-hidden-cell-phone-track-equipment.html

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
CharlesD and I tested the Google Latitude about the same time. We added each other and found that it really didn't do well at tracking each of us real-time. Maybe they've made improvements since we tried it, but when I called to ask if he was still sitting at exit so-and-so in central PA, he replied that he had not been there since yesterday morning.

There are other apps available that utilize the gps components in cell phones. There are also small "lo-jack" type devices that can be installed under the hood or dash of a truck which allows tracking. I just have my drivers making three hour check calls from time of dispatch to delivery.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
i just said that because its free...i dint know if and how much the man wanted to spend. and free is cheap..or should hire driver whom you can trust. .......lol.....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
The "Spot" got great reviews a few years back. Haven't looked at it lately. Last I checked, the unit was $100 and $60 per year for the "ultimate" pkg.

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Godwindaniel

Seasoned Expediter
Owning a tracking device has become the norm. You only have to look at the questions your vehicle insurer asks you when getting a new quote and they all ask whether you have a vehicle tracking device.There are some really good one’s out there. It really does depend on what you need.