going to look at new trucks this week

clcooper

Expert Expediter
and i will be coming home with one . is there any advice any body to give me . Freightliner or Sterling i will be looking at and getting . and planing to sign on with Bolt express.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>and i will be coming home with one . is there any advice any
>body to give me . Freightliner or Sterling i will be looking
>at and getting . and planing to sign on with Bolt express.

How about:

1) Don't buy a truck (new or used) until AFTER you have gotten signed up with a Co.

2) Why not consider a late model used unit so you can have lower payments and lower insurance costs. Trucks depreciate just like any other motor vehicle. Have you looked at the Classifieds-Trucks For Sale?

3) The fact that you've only made 4 posts to the EO Forums leads me to think that you may be a NEWBIE, at least here. Have you researched the Forum Archives about the expedite biz and new truck buying in general?

4) Take any sales pitch, and that is what you are getting, from any recruiter with a grain of salt.

5) Talk to as many O/0s as possible that are already running for Bolt, or any other Co. that looks appealing.

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Jon Mosier will steer you right as far as a truck purchase. But, as mentioned, if you are just starting, I would recommend driving for someone first. That would include a possible owner with your company of choice. Big mistakes can happen if you have never driven before. Even more so if you are going to run as a solo.
In fact, if you are going to run solo, don't have a payment in excess of $1,000 unless you have deep reserves.
It does beg the question.........what experience do you have?
There are many here to help you from falling head first in quick sand.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Have to agree with The other posts. Maybe a little more info from you would help us help you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Provided you have read through at least the last years worth of posts in the general, truck and newbies forum you should be ready to proceed a little further. If you haven't read through at least that much and learned all you can then this week you should be studying and not truck shopping. Once you've done a LOT of research then you should talk to Jon Mosier at FL Knoxville about Sterling trucks. Jon is a stand up guy and won't sell you something you don't need and won't give you a line of bs. He knows expediting and he knows trucks. He is one of two people you can count on when buying a truck. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
Yes I am a newbie but i have been driving for 15 years . not steady
I am pretty much signed on with bolt express. been talking with them for 2 months . they said when i get my truck to call them so they can give the dealer their numbers .
I have done alot of research on the Forum Archives ..I learned a lot and know I need to learn much more
I have talked with a few o/o s . and some drivers for bolt express .
I have no experience in expedite .
Jon Mosier is one of the dealers I am seeing .
"There are many here to help you from falling head first in quick sand." YES there is and i have learned alot here.
. I was getting a new one so i would not have to worry so much about break downs . i want to worry more about learning expedte than break downs .i was going for a 2006 ?? with a auto and gen. and nice sleeper. so i would be comforable with the truck i was in .I have not seen any used with a automatic
Leo i talked with you on the phone in june .
Yes my reserves are not the greatest . I know that and planing on stay out long time to built them up .I will not be at home to spend it. so it should grow.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, unless someone is going to have my guy in Houston build a KW then Jon is the only way to go. These two are the best and the rest are just that, the rest.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with the other comments. Make sure your payments are within reason and for reserves, have somewhere between three and six months of business and personal monies available.
Why? Because outside of your startup costs, you must be prepared for the unforseen.
For example, we knew of a couple last year that bought a new truck and two days after orientation, there truck was totalled. They recovered their loss several months later, but it put them out of business. My intent is not to scare someone out of the business, but to make sure you cover ALL of the bases.
Jon Mosier should be able to help you along with this as well. He is very experienced, and has a good handle of what your start up costs will be. As far as the Sterlings, a great choice.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Leo... that's a rather concrete statement, seeing as those are THE TWO you bought your trucks from. If you don't have any dealings with other dealers, how can you say the others aren't as good as those you dealt with?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have only had service work done at KW in Houston. Very good and much better than Houston Freightliner. Our KW purchases have come from KW Palmer in Ft Wayne and Indy.
Ed Strange at Indy has been around for a long time and is very knowledgable on custom truck builds.
He works more on a select clientele.
As for Knoxville, we have been buying from them for a long time. Our first Freightliner purchase came from the gravel pit in Massilion, OH when Dan Schultz was selling them.
Prior to that, we bought fords and UD's
As for Jon Mosier, we have bought several trucks from him this year and have been real happy. It is nice to have a no bs sale.
In and out in a hour.
Maybe alittle longer if you have a trade?
For us, we have bought from 8 dealerships over the years.
Just my penny in the pond.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's based on the 3 others I attempted to work with and couldn't get return calls, quotes and other info on a timely basis. After spending a significant amount of time trying to buy a truck from them with no success I moved on. I realize that is a small number however the difference between Jon and Fred and the others is huge.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes, it's amazing. Some of those clowns must be on Straight salary, and are paid if they do something or not. Recently, I was a buyer for a machine (in fact they had 8 of em) tandem camper chassis at Morton, IL. Was Sunday when I passed thru and I got my tape out and decided this'll do just fine. Called to get the deal started, and, everyone I talked to knowed nothing about em, cept one clown, and he wasn't there. Made a couple more calls to buy one of the trucks, and, had absolutely no luck again. My checkbook was open with plenty of capacity, would have been a short term effort for someone, but, they lost.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
thank you all for your in put . that is all i ask for your opions. now i am on my way to look at the freightliner. will know tomorrow night what i am getting. i talked long time with Jon about what has been said and i asked even more. Leo i told Jon you said you never buy a truck from him agian cost to much :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 (no i didn't)
i know it is going to be tight to start but it will be better then where i am at now . (hopefully get easaier)
Thank You all agian keep it coming i am learning and know i need to learn more .

clcooper

Expert Expediter
i am not getting the truck now . on the way to the dealer today i got a call about a high paying job . and i took it i dont know why:*
i will still be staying away from home for long priods. paid rooms , food and travel. but if it dont work out (hopefully long enough to get more in savings )i will be getting the truck still dont know which one . i will have to drive the sterling a little more
thank you all for your help

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't believe you will find ANYONE on here who feels you can make a living driving a Cargo Van for someone else. GOOD LUCK.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm...guess the "high paying job" didn't pan out and the "savings" didn't get built up"...went from "buying' a NEW Straight Truck, to a "High" paying job, to running a cargo van for an owner.....good luck with that....was there a "business plan" at work here??

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You'd be better off teaming in a straight truck then trying to eek out a living in a cargo van.