Giant Mosquitoes Look Set To Invade Florida

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Pic and full story
Giant Mosquitoes Look Set To Invade Florida

:eek:

Florida is bracing for a summer invasion of giant mosquitoes whose bite has been compared with "being knifed".
University of Florida scientists say the half-inch insects, called gallinippers, are likely to swarm the Sunshine State after recent tropical storms made it the species' perfect breeding ground.
"I wouldn't be surprised, given the numbers we saw last year," said entomologist Phil Kaufman, a professor at the university's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.
At the size of a US 25-cent piece, the notoriously aggressive gallinippers are 20 times the size of a common mosquito.
And with their bigger size also comes a bigger bite.
"The bite really hurts, I can attest to that," Professor Kaufman said.
Gallinippers - whose scientific name is Psorophora ciliate - are not considered an invasive species as they are native to the eastern half of North America.

They have attained almost mythical status in the Deep South, featuring in folk tales and even blues songs that mention their "fearsome bite".
And they are a particularly hearty bug.
Adult females lay their eggs at the edges of streams and ponds, and the eggs can lay dormant for years until the water rises with heavy rains and causes them to hatch.
Last year saw a sharp increase in their numbers after Tropical Storm Debby brought torrential rains to the state, scientists say.
"When we hit the rainy cycle we may see that again," Mr Kaufman said.
On the up side, the insects are not major transmitters of diseases such as malaria, as common mosquitoes are.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Florida has had them for years, centuries probably, maybe hundreds of centuries, but every few years the conditions are right for a bumper egg-hatching crop. They're native all over the eastern half of the US, from Florida to Maine, but are most common in the Deep South.

The bite is painful (been there, done that - it feels like someone is pinching you really hard with tweezers) but they're much larger and more klutzy than regular mosquitoes, so they're easy to swat. You can also feel them when they land on you, for the most part. It's like a small bird landing on you. They hit you pretty good when they land. Insect repellant helps, a little, but you have to spray your clothes real good, too, 'cause they'll bite right through your clothes, even jeans. Unlike regular mosquitoes who feed mostly at dawn and dusk, gallinippers are at it 24/7.

Fortunately, they're mostly a pasture mosquito, biting cattle and horses far more often than people. But you don't want to go camping without a mosquito net. Trust me on that one. Lake Okeechobee, 1970, I remember it well.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I keep tellin you guys their not mosquitos their crotch rockets they only sound and look like mosquitos.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, I felt REALLY sure that this topic could not possibly get any posts about politics, Obama, guns etc etc ....

wrong again LOL :p :p

ANY time you are talking about big, thirsty, disease infested, bloodsuckers you are talking about politicians. It are how it are.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Ok...being one of those "natural born Floridians" (and we are few and far between anymore) LOL these are swamp mosquitoes...and they are HUGE! Like low flying planes...and like Turtle said..they bite 24/7. Gotta love FL...except for the heat, humidity, love bugs, mosquitoes, but Nov...Dec...Jan...and Feb....sure are nice :cool:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
LOL, I felt REALLY sure that this topic could not possibly get any posts about politics, Obama, guns etc etc ....

wrong again LOL :p :p
I know how you feel EL, its appalling and I'm crushed at their attitude, they could have posted Heather shooting her guns,oooooooomy....

Last edited:

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
the Mosquitoe is really missunderstood,its not a pesky insect at all. it is the florida state bird...and dont forget about the no-seeums teeth with wings.lol