Get ready for the shakedown!!!

Deville

Not a Member
When I saw truckers and Giants stadium mentioned in the same thread I couldn't help but post what I thought was a somewhat witty and mildly humorous reference to the Jimmy Hoffa mystery. I'm lost on the Obama, Gay Pride thing.

Yea, that was funny like 10 years ago. This is the New Giant Stadium, it's proper name is Medowlands Stadium. It was built next to the old Giants stadium which has since been removed & no, they did not find a trace of Hoffa.

If you wanna know what happened to James R. than read "I heard you paint houses".

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not a pro football fan so I don't keep up on teams or their stadiums. I did see that the Vikings are getting a new stadium though and I get to help pay for it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not a pro football fan so I don't keep up on teams or their stadiums. I did see that the Vikings are getting a new stadium though and I get to help pay for it.

thankyou

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Isn't it nice how we non sports enthusiasts GET to help pay for stadiums?!

If you get the option to not help pay for it, are you also going to turn down the millions upon millions of dollars that are brought in because of it?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
If you get the option to not help pay for it, are you also going to turn down the millions upon millions of dollars that are brought in because of it?

I am not a sports fan, and just had that very thought. A winning team and a new stadium does bring in a huge economic benefit for everyone in the region.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

piattteam

Active Expediter
What millions brought in by it?! Sure, local business's nearby, hotels, etc., make millions off them.
All I saw was my taxes go up!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am not a sports fan, and just had that very thought. A winning team and a new stadium does bring in a huge economic benefit for everyone in the region.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

It seems that not all agree with that notion.

[h=1]Vikings Stadium Not Likely To Help Minnesota's Economy[/h]
Before politicians vote Monday on a proposal for a new stadium for the National Football League’s Minnesota Vikings, they should read the report below by UBS.

Zygi Wilf and Edward Masso (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The stadium plan calls for the $975 million stadium to be largely paid for by taxpayers, which polls have shown the public is against. It is easy to see why: 54% of the cost would come from Minnesota’s taxpayers, far exceeding the public’s contribution for all but three of the last 10 NFL stadiums.

But members of Minnesota’s senate and house have been under siege to approve the plan. Governor Mark Dayton, whose approval rating is above 50% and rising, says in his website that more than 2,500 bars and restaurants across
Minnesota will attract additional customers and provide more charitable gaming with electronic pulltabs. Meanwhile the Vikings, pointing to a study byCSL International, which assists teams and municipalities in the development and operation of sports facilities, claim the economic activity from a new stadium will generate over $26 million per year in tax revenue and over $145 million in direct spending by Vikings fans inside the state. And NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who wants the Vikings to stay in Minnesota so he can put an expansion team in Los Angeles, has lobbied hard for the Vikings new stadium.

But those touting the positive economics of the new stadium appear to be looking at history through rose colored glasses and seem to be ignoring the impact past stadiums have had on businesses and taxpayers.

The upshot from UBS: “Independent academic research studies consistently conclude that new stadiums and arenas have no measurable effect on the level of real income or employment in the metropolitan areas in which they are located. Feasibility studies for professional sports facilities often fail to account for the substitution effect. Individuals generally maintain a consistent level of entertainment spending so money spent on sporting events typically comes at the expense of cash spent in restaurants, on travel, and at movie theaters.”

The UBS study also notes: “…sports crowd out other types of economic activity. The physical infrastructure of a city, whether it’s a private hotel or a public airport, cannot abruptly increase capacity. As a consequence, sports fans tend to displace other visitors. As a case in point, Robert Baade and Victor Matheson at the College of the Holy Cross have examined the number of visitors to Beijing during the Summer Olympics of 2008. Tourist arrivals for the month of August did not fluctuate year-over-year and the number of visitors to Beijing actually declined on an annual basis. Similar results can be found for Olympic Games held in the US and for such sporting events as the Super Bowl.”

The new stadium will definitely make team owner Zygi Wilf a lot richer. But it is doubtful it will do much for the pocketbooks of the folks who will be asked to pay for most of it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What millions brought in by it?! Sure, local business's nearby, hotels, etc., make millions off them.
All I saw was my taxes go up!

That is it, just take it a little further. A hotel, bar, restaurant, etc that is busy is hiring people and providing jobs. A business that is making money is paying taxes and hiring, the employees are paying taxes and spending their money, then the businesses they spend their money at are paying taxes and hiring.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why don't you guys get back to the OP. BTW I call it BS about a six hour delay for a inspection. There is no way any DOT officer can hold you for that amount of time, never has happened and never will. This is C.B. talk at its best.

As for Bob Wolf and its not about safety, well its about the law and what has to be working on a truck to get from getting a ticket. If you know the lights out fix the light. The light needing to work comes down to police needing to read the plate at night, that's all its for.

If you have a problem on what needs to be working on a truck go to the green book its all there.

I wonder how many trucks would be put out of service if the DOT didn't announce when they will do the road check. My god they announce the days and still people are busted.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As for Bob Wolf and its not about safety, well its about the law and what has to be working on a truck to get from getting a ticket. If you know the lights out fix the light. The light needing to work comes down to police needing to read the plate at night, that's all its for.

Correct, a license plate light is not about safety, it is just a tool used for police to pull people over when they need a reason or not give a clean inspection to a truck. If the light is there to let police read the tag then why is it needed when there is no tag. I have never seen a cop car without a spotlight or headlights so they don't actually need a license plate light to begin with.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Correct, a license plate light is not about safety, it is just a tool used for police to pull people over when they need a reason or not give a clean inspection to a truck. If the light is there to let police read the tag then why is it needed when there is no tag. I have never seen a cop car without a spotlight or headlights so they don't actually need a license plate light to begin with.

I don't have a plate light, per se. My plate is mounted right under the tail light.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do plates mounted on the front bumper [per state law] have a light?

Beachbum: as I said, my violation for having the plate secured on the front was one that required some creativity to resolve - it'd be nice if I could just produce that on command, but it generally takes a couple days to appear on it's own. Meantime, I considered the safety of the motoring public to be a priority, and got a violation for the trouble. Which makes me think AMonger's not a complete whacko - there are LEOs who ignore common sense and abuse their authority.
Doesn't do much to promote respect for the good guys, does it?
Nor does a 6 hr delay, but I bet they can justify that, too.
:mad:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I was once ticketed for my license plate being dirty driving driving down a dirt road. Didn't hold up in court though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am a firm believer in vehicle safety laws and inspections BUT I believe the punishment should match the crime And if it's something simple give the poor guy A chnce to fix it. (Gee ociffer I hit that big semi because that top right marker light was out) TIME TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!