GEN/APU's

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
After reading about the freezing/gelling of fuel filters I have to ask, has anyone had any trouble with the diesel freezing in their APU's.
Kat

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We have had three different times when the rigmaster just shut down. I then just changed the fuel filter and filled the chamber with diesel kleen. Afterwards just restarted and it ran just fine. Twice it was below freezing, but I could not tell if the fuel was gelled or if it was just time to change the filter. Either way it started right up and after the kleen burned through the system it ran through the night with no problems.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Next time it is going to be near 0F or colder. Put the 911 Diesel Kleen as instructed on bottle. Will not freeze or gell up and no removing filter in these temps. Keep those filters fresh in the winter though thats a big problem a little of water and it freezes the fuel up. Hope this helps, Bob TOLD ME SO. you know of the Bob club?

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I have 3100 hours on my Tri Pac with no problems. Last week it was 15 below so I let the truck run for the 5 hours I had for my (10 hour)break. It was the first time I did not use the Tri Pac. I wanted the truck running to keep the fuel in the tank a little warmer. I bought the APU from the Thermo King dealer that invented the Tri Pac. They are Transport Refridgeration in De Pere, WI. They told me they are working on a design for a fuel tank heater.
I think they should add a switch to let the APU run while the truck is running. At 1000 rpm's my engine guage was at 150 degrees in the 15 below weather. Thats not hot enough to throw off much heat.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If your truck is staying too cold at idling, turn off the engine fan. If it isn't running (the fan), then grab a piece of cardboard and put it in front of the radiator.
Dominoes pizza boxes worked well.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dave. That was probably the first and only time I will run the truck in severly cold weather. My truck will be paid for in 7 months so I will be able to afford tank heaters for next winter.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would still get a winter front, go here Alaska Tent they make them and I bought a bunch of winter fronts a while ago as Christmas presents. By the way a lot of companies claim that they make winter fronts but they use this company to make it for them.

Also they already make a coolant to fuel heater and I remember seeing some thing about a fuel heater system that recirculates the fuel to keep it warm. I have to look for the links.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Espar has a coolant heater that one could use, but I'm not sure of the price. The winter fronts work when the truck is moving, but cardboard right on front of the radiator will be more effective as it also chops the airflow. Cheaper as well.
Only a pain if you have a cabover. Then winter fronts are a must have.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I make sure that I run treated fuel through the APU and Reefer units from time to time. I always use winter blend treatment from mid-Sept thru mid-May. Sometimes longer if needed. Running that treated fuel through the other engines keeps the lines and filters from gelling up. I have not yet had a problem doing it this way. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well as a supporter of the Bob club I can say this just happened to us. We were in Omaha temp below zero about 4 in the morning you could start hearing our generator struggling. Bob jumps up throws his clothes on and out the door he goes to add the 911 to the generator. In no time at all it when back to purring like a kitten and keeping our truck warm. My only question to Bob was why the heck didn't you do that before we went to bed? I just got the look.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you everyone for the replies. It was very helpful. As always some of you guys seem to have been through all this in the past. I know all the new expediters reading the forum certainly will appreciate the info, should be taking notes and learn from someone that has been there and done that.
Thanks again, Kat

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Well as a supporter of the Bob club I can say this just happened to us. We were in Omaha temp below zero about 4 in the morning you could start hearing our generator struggling. Bob jumps up throws his clothes on and out the door he goes to add the 911 to the generator. In no time at all it when back to purring like a kitten and keeping our truck warm. My only question to Bob was why the heck didn't you do that before we went to bed? I just got the look.

You did such a GREAT JOB OF why its the BOB CLUB, now lets just wait a little longer and than we have to REACT, instead of taking care of it in advance. Intresting very intresting Bob how was that Sun Tan in N.D. in Feb???? Bob Club cause I care enough to care........

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While wind chill temps have been much colder, the coldest actual temps we have been in this winter have been in the -10F range. We have had no troubles with fuel gelling with the truck main engine, reefer engine or generator engine.

The only thing we have done different from running in less extreme temperatures is use Howe's Diesel Treat, adding it according to the instructions when temps dip below +20F.

We do not have fuel tank heaters on the truck but do sometimes think about adding them. It is possible that someday, we might have a run where we sit for several days, in sub-zero temperatures, with reefer freight on board; and with the generator running to keep the sleeper comfortable, but with no need to run the main engine. Fuel tank heaters might be good to have in such a situation.

GoGrammaGo

Seasoned Expediter
If your truck is staying too cold at idling, turn off the engine fan. If it isn't running (the fan), then grab a piece of cardboard and put it in front of the radiator.
Dominoes pizza boxes worked well.

Was that a Philly or Brooklyn style pizza???

Reactions: 1 person

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I have a Volvo and my rigmaster is under the fairings and the exaust blows on the tanks which keeps them warm. So i haven't ever had a problem with gelling fuel. It has an ele block heater and it kept the water temp @150 @-40 with the windchill factor. I am real happy with my rigmaster i have the auto start functions. That is a huge fuel saver right there.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

YOU ARE LIBERATED...WHY DIDN`T YOU DO IT?